Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-24-2015, 11:47 PM

Default Wedge and mt lorette

Hey guys, has it been fishing well or stocked yet? Feel like some cnr stocked fish this weekend with some constant action on the dry this week. Haven't been fishing those waters for a bit
Old 05-25-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
Hey guys, has it been fishing well or stocked yet? Feel like some cnr stocked fish this weekend with some constant action on the dry this week. Haven't been fishing those waters for a bit
I haven't stopped at Wedge so I don't know but I'm sure MT Lorette has been stocked by May long and fished out within a week as it is every year. This pond hardly ever has fish in it all summer these days. I doubt the children, elderly, and handicapped it was designed for are getting much use out of it because some people walk in there and leave with a cooler full of fish like they used to do at Allen Bill for many years.

That said, I stop in to check from time to time on my way back from upper and lower k. I just happened to stop in the past week and can confirm it's empty again. The June stocking may be happening soon though.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:08 AM

I've been at Mt Lorette for the last two weekends before this one. First time there were rainbows cruising around the shore, got follows and one strike. The 2nd time there was there was no action, but the guy beside me said there were still fish in there, he supposedly caught 4 the day before

Last edited by JareS; 05-25-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:01 PM

oh cool, so i'm guessing lorette's a no go and wedge's a mystery. Lorette's nice 'cause you get a visual aspect of the fish. Would sibbald pond or lake yield be results? They all get hit hard and could be fished out, and the creeks in the area are closed until june
Old 05-28-2015, 01:20 PM

I was at Sibald a few weeks ago. They have stocked it. There were about a dozen or more people on the lake that day. So it won't take long for it to get fished out too. Maybe they need a few more regs. One take home a day or something. At least that way more people would be able to enjoy it.

I think they should have a special reg for Mt Lorrette ponds. Because of the access it is great for someone in a wheel chair or someone with small kids. I think they should make it only for those in a wheel chair or kids under 16. They could make it a one fish per person per day. At least this way the fish would last longer in there.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
I was at Sibald a few weeks ago. They have stocked it. There were about a dozen or more people on the lake that day. So it won't take long for it to get fished out too. Maybe they need a few more regs. One take home a day or something. At least that way more people would be able to enjoy it.

I think they should have a special reg for Mt Lorrette ponds. Because of the access it is great for someone in a wheel chair or someone with small kids. I think they should make it only for those in a wheel chair or kids under 16. They could make it a one fish per person per day. At least this way the fish would last longer in there.
X2! couldnt agree more here! I think poaching is a big issue there too or people keeping their 2 year olds, dogs, etc limit. I like the idea of limiting it to only kids and wheel chair bound. Plently of places for the rest of us to go!
Old 05-28-2015, 04:54 PM

Fishing was slow on Wedge when we were there last weekend.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Isn't lorette set to 1 trout over 35cm? I thnk its something like that. And i totally agree, grown adults poaching and keeping tiny 5 inchers. It should be reserved for the kids and seniors, it is easily accessible. Hope sibbald can last for until mid june. Did you see any particular hatches? Any trout taking mosquitoes?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman View Post
Fishing was slow on Wedge when we were there last weekend.
Thanks for the report, has it been stocked with the grayling this year yet? If the weather improves, might head to k-country for a short fishing trip
Old 05-29-2015, 08:14 AM

Fished at Wedge on May 19, continuous catching and landed more than 20 in 3 hours. The graying they stock are too small to catch, but there is a good range of ages now, from 8" to over 16". If the bite is on and you have the right fly, there are plenty to catch through the summer.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Isn't lorette set to 1 trout over 35cm? I thnk its something like that. And i totally agree, grown adults poaching and keeping tiny 5 inchers. It should be reserved for the kids and seniors, it is easily accessible. Hope sibbald can last for until mid june. Did you see any particular hatches? Any trout taking mosquitoes?
Nope, 2 trout per person. Definitely should be C&R or kids and handicap
Old 05-30-2015, 03:23 AM

Quote:

Great idea Kingfisher - I know in BC certain bodies of water are closed, except for children under 16, and handicapped folks with mobility issues. I'd like to see something like this introduced in Alberta and Mt. Lorrette seems like a dandy spot. fishing is great therapy and I'm sure it would help many people, along with the fantastic scenery on that highway!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:50 PM

Hey, folks haven't yet tried sibbald pond or wedge yet but do any of you know if grotto is stocked and how it's fishing recently, always enjoy scenery and the odd variety of fish they have in the springtime there. Also, I have never fished Gap lake which is down the highway (some say it's a waste of time), but does it fish well in the spring with the fly rod or without a boat? I feel like hooking the legendary giant that's supposed to be in it
it'd be quite fun on the fly
Old 06-03-2015, 11:46 PM

Default Sibbald and grotto

Quote:
Hey, folks haven't yet tried sibbald pond or wedge yet but do any of you know if grotto is stocked and how it's fishing recently, always enjoy scenery and the odd variety of fish they have in the springtime there. Also, I have never fished Gap lake which is down the highway (some say it's a waste of time), but does it fish well in the spring with the fly rod or without a boat? I feel like hooking the legendary giant that's supposed to be in it
it'd be quite fun on the fly

Fished sibbald on Monday and caught two rainbows. Spinning and one take on the fly. Fished grotto last week and caught 10 or so rainbows too, but on a canoe in the middle dragging spinners. Good luck if you come out to the mountains.
Krispy from canmore
Old 06-04-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
Fished sibbald on Monday and caught two rainbows. Spinning and one take on the fly. Fished grotto last week and caught 10 or so rainbows too, but on a canoe in the middle dragging spinners. Good luck if you come out to the mountains.
Krispy from canmore
Thanks for the report krispy , will try grotto or sibbald, grotto must've been stocked last month. Sibbald is a great place but every time I fish there its loaded with people fishing everywhere. I should give grotto a try, will have to cast farther out, were you past the electric line from the south shore, the line is about 50 ft from the south shore. Another lucky fella did mention that only he and the other boaters were catching and the shore fishers had no luck about a month ago. But usually there is some good fishing from shore in the summer. Did you manage to see any fly anglers this time? Usually its quite a popular place for the fly anglers
Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 AM

Went by Wedge this weekend but never fished it. The water level is very low right now so I hope they get some moisture or the grayling are going to roast before the summer is done.

Saw a few rising fish but not nearly as many as in previous years.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM

Agreed, water is very low at wedge. Fished for an hour among eight others, no-one caught anything. Saw one rise. Bring waders or a boat.
Mt. Lorette was a zoo, another hour there, no rising fish, skunked along with a couple who had been tossing flies for three hours.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Fished Wedge again on June 4. Landed more than 10 of varying sizes in 3 hours. You need a boat and fish are >20 feet down. They don't take lures and are picky about flies, keep changing until one works. Nobody there during the week.

Wedge Pond level is normal for this time of year, varies with ground water and is plenty deep enough to sustain the fish through the summer. The level will rise in the next month.