Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 AM

Default 3d equipment list

Can you 3D veterens help me out with an equipment list for what a guy would need before showing up at a shoot looking totally unprepared.

A need to have and a nice to have would be great as well as a list of things that are not allowed at a shoot. especially a hunter class as that is most likely what I would be shooting in

Thanks
Old 04-20-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Can you 3D veterens help me out with an equipment list for what a guy would need before showing up at a shoot looking totally unprepared.

A need to have and a nice to have would be great as well as a list of things that are not allowed at a shoot. especially a hunter class as that is most likely what I would be shooting in

Thanks
Awesome question. Would like to know the same.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:35 AM

With the Bowhunter Shoot....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=252062

Just exactally what you hunt with..only differance would be field points instead of broadheads...and the only restriction for shooter improvement purpose is a rangefinder...[ a few other restrictions is optic sights, long stabilizers etc which many do not hunt with but are allowed in other competitive target class 3D shoots]

Neil
Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM

I tend to carry too much stuff at all times but here is what I take.

Hip quiver, usually 8-12 arrows
Binos (I use a chest harness)
Release (spare release)
Arrow lube and arrow puller
Set of Allen keys
Scorecard board
Bow kickstand
Spare nocks
Small tools, needle nose, side cutters, lighter
Spare d-loop (had one break on me mid shoot!)

Only thing disallowed at most shoots is a rangefinder.

LC
Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I tend to carry too much stuff at all times but here is what I take.

Hip quiver, usually 8-12 arrows
Binos (I use a chest harness)
Release (spare release)
Arrow lube and arrow puller
Set of Allen keys
Scorecard board
Bow kickstand
Spare nocks
Small tools, needle nose, side cutters, lighter
Spare d-loop (had one break on me mid shoot!)

Only thing disallowed at most shoots is a rangefinder.

LC
I carry all but three items there for a shoot..in my hunting pack...lol

other than the hip quiver...got room for another half doz arrows...lol might need them getting old N rusty...lol

Neil
Old 04-20-2015, 12:08 PM

I have seen guys at the range with the score card boards. Can you explain how they work?

Sorry for the dumb questions but better to ask now than look stupid later
Old 04-20-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I have seen guys at the range with the score card boards. Can you explain how they work?

Sorry for the dumb questions but better to ask now than look stupid later
Just to hold the score card, some have pictures of some of the animals if you want to use them as a reference as to where the scoring rings are. I just leave my board on my quiver all the time so I don't lose it!

LC
Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 PM

Bug spray
Knife to dig out the arrow stuck in a tree
Bottle water
Old 04-20-2015, 01:17 PM

Even though it is a hunter shoot....leave the broadheads at home

Unless you have a bear tag, and are at the Whitecourt shoot....you might want 1-2 arrows with broadheads

We had a couple bears on the course during the shoot last year!

LC
Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM

One thing I'd add to Lefty's list, is a serving tool and some serving and a string separator (peep tool), helped a few people by having that in my quiver. And some nock pliers if you are not using a loop or a string nock.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 PM

I am really new to 3D, those list are good but I see a lot of things that are nice to have but not necessarily a need. Here's what I have learn from my first shoot. If you are going just to have fun, learn and practice for bow hunting, it is fine to use your bow with quiver and normal practice arrows. Make sure you have a pen or pencil in your pocket, carry your binoculars (that way you can see the scoring zone) and make sure you have arrow lube and arrow puller (arrows are pretty much impossible to pull out otherwise and your hands will hurt). Also make sure you have plenty of arrows, some shoot can be tricky.

Oh I forget, bug spray and sun screen.

For all of you who has never been to one of those shoot because they think they will feel out of place and they don't want to compete or they are intimidated by all those guys with fancy equipment and pro gear, DON'T SWEAT IT. I can't believe I waited so long to try it out. It was so much fun, everybody was super friendly and helpful. My kids (7 and 5 years old at the time) had a blast and they are always looking forward to the next event. This is a great thing to do has a family for the week-end, especially if you camp out there, there is always ton of fun game to play in the evening. We even bought a trad bow to participate in some of those this year.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM

Nice lists above, however, all those items are EXTRA. The only thing you need is a straigt shooting bow and three arrows.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 PM

Better to bring MORE than three arrows! You need to allow for misses and they happen to the best of us. Also, you will be shooting with a group of archers who seem to acutally enjoy shooting at your nock, especially if it is in a good scoring spot!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Better to bring MORE than three arrows! You need to allow for misses and they happen to the best of us. Also, you will be shooting with a group of archers who seem to acutally enjoy shooting at your nock, especially if it is in a good scoring spot!
Love the game of "Nock nock" thats why Lefty is voted as first shot in group...

lol

Neil
Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Love the game of "Nock nock" thats why Lefty is voted as first shot in group...

lol

Neil
That's why I use pin nocks . So far only one guy has managed to hammer one and cost me an arrow. Although I did have an arrow get hammered from the side INSIDE a target.

LC
Old 04-21-2015, 10:23 AM

We used to get into after the shoot rounds, from where you could first see the target, cost the odd arrow. And there are unexpected ocurrences. Had one on an indoor shoot, at the Mayfield in Edm, a target & arrow sticking out at 90deg to where I was shooting, fletch covering the centre of the 10 ring @ 40yds. I aimed directly at it, no way I would hit it at that range. I pinned it, thru the front of the fletch, my arrow broke, the back half stayed in the other arrow, stopped at fletch to fletch. Other half probably got found in the cleanup later on.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:20 PM

Can I use a single pin HHA in 3D shoots?
Old 04-22-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Can I use a single pin HHA in 3D shoots?
Yes but depending on classes available you would shoot Compound Unlimted or the new Bowhunter Challenge class...if available.

LC
Old 04-22-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yes but depending on classes available you would shoot Compound Unlimted or the new Bowhunter Challenge class...if available.

LC
Compound unlimited seem like a good place to get my but handed to a newbie 3D guy.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Compound unlimited seem like a good place to get my but handed to a newbie 3D guy.
At the new Bowhunter Challenge there is no butt handing allowed ...lol

Neil
Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
If you aren't worried about the score just go out and try to do better each round, especially when you are new to it. Don't worry about the score...when I started I went from making sure I hit foam (no misses), to trying not to take 5's. Look at it that way and it will be more enjoyable!

Doesn't matter what class you shoot there are some great archers in Alberta!

LC
Old 04-24-2015, 11:45 AM

...And we all have bad days....take the good days with grace...and take the bad days as ...chit happens!!...if you let it get you down...it will usually drag you further down...you will shoot another day!

The best thing for new shooters is shooting Bowhunter rounds...As first you may be stressed out shooting in front of others or get the competion jitters...
a lot like another symtom we get ..called "buck fever"...

After the first couple shots at a shoot you will calm down...enjoy yourself

Most bowhunters first animals can be rubber knee buck fever...one learns to control it of let it happen after the shot...

Neil
Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 AM
Banned

Archery kit, Thermacell and decent pair of binoculars!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:38 AM

Been competing in 3D a while now and always check my equipment before I head out. If you do have a fixable repair to do, you only have a certain amount of time get back to base, repair and return to target. If you have somewhere to carry a d-loop emerg. kit, do so. Seems to be the one thing that likes to mess you up.

:Binos - can be any power as long as no range finding capabiites
:Thermocell (not any kind of spray bugdope as it removes the finish on your bow if you get it one your hands!)
:Rain coat and large zip-loc bag for my sight w/lense.
:Arrow lube (I use bar of Ivory soap)
:Bottle of water (there are usually water stations located at a couple of places along a 3D course
:Pen and scoreboard (the one with the Reinhart targets on it is the best one to have presently) if you're planning to score
:I carry six arrows because my friendly archery group seems to break more of them for me than I would do shooting targets myself! Depending on your ability and confidence, if starting out, I would recommend taking as many as you think you need. You can always carry them back home but if you run out in the middle of the bush, you are done.

I know you're thinking; Where on earth do I carry all this stuff? Binos hang around your neck (I prefer a shoulder harness). Thermocell hooks onto the back of my belt. Rain coat fits itself into a small pocket pouch which clips onto my belt. I purchased a couple of small pouches at Cabela's that slide onto my belt and I keep bar of soap, gum, zip-loc bag, etc in these. Bottle of water goes into another or you can carry it. Scoreboard clips onto belt and pens(pencil if it rains) fit into side pocket on quiver.

If you're really lucky and know you're going to be in a group with Lefty-Canuck, he'll probably have everything you need! We don't call him Lefty-McGhiver for nothing.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:04 PM

Lol...yah but the time my d-loop broke in competition I didn't have one on me!

LC
Old 05-24-2015, 05:34 PM

Is there a website where you van find upcoming shoots? Sorry to thread jack but I really want yo do a 3d shoot
Old 05-24-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterratitan View Post
Is there a website where you van find upcoming shoots? Sorry to thread jack but I really want yo do a 3d shoot
Sticky at the top of archery section....every weekend in June there is one or more shoots!

LC
Old 05-25-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Been competing in 3D a while now and always check my equipment before I head out. If you do have a fixable repair to do, you only have a certain amount of time get back to base, repair and return to target. If you have somewhere to carry a d-loop emerg. kit, do so. Seems to be the one thing that likes to mess you up.

:Binos - can be any power as long as no range finding capabiites
:Thermocell (not any kind of spray bugdope as it removes the finish on your bow if you get it one your hands!)
:Rain coat and large zip-loc bag for my sight w/lense.
:Arrow lube (I use bar of Ivory soap)
:Bottle of water (there are usually water stations located at a couple of places along a 3D course
:Pen and scoreboard (the one with the Reinhart targets on it is the best one to have presently) if you're planning to score
:I carry six arrows because my friendly archery group seems to break more of them for me than I would do shooting targets myself! Depending on your ability and confidence, if starting out, I would recommend taking as many as you think you need. You can always carry them back home but if you run out in the middle of the bush, you are done.

I know you're thinking; Where on earth do I carry all this stuff? Binos hang around your neck (I prefer a shoulder harness). Thermocell hooks onto the back of my belt. Rain coat fits itself into a small pocket pouch which clips onto my belt. I purchased a couple of small pouches at Cabela's that slide onto my belt and I keep bar of soap, gum, zip-loc bag, etc in these. Bottle of water goes into another or you can carry it. Scoreboard clips onto belt and pens(pencil if it rains) fit into side pocket on quiver.

If you're really lucky and know you're going to be in a group with Lefty-Canuck, he'll probably have everything you need! We don't call him Lefty-McGhiver for nothing.
For the ABA Bowhunter shoots...this a good time to wear you fanny pack, backpack that you would when hunting...

My pack is a 5 pocket fanny pack with shoulder harness...custom chest clip...1/2 gallon water bladder and bite tube that runs in cmo sheath on harness...
range finder pocket, bino pocket...and cargo straps on top pocket...can carry biggest jacket there...room in bigger pocket for all and more...

Its lightweight and non restrictive..

Fanny packs are ok...but when you pants are around your knees after a mile you look like a gangstra from da hood...lol
shoulder straps or harness is gold...takes all the weight off also...if there is no chest fastener sew in webbing and small quick release...

I can shoot with my set up fully loaded with absolutely no issue...it doesnt interfere at all...in any postion

The bowhunter round is a great place to test your gear you will be hunting with...

Neil