Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2015, 11:50 AM

Default Gull lake Wilson's beach

Looking for some ice updates at the Wilson's beach area. Looking to possibly head out one last time before the ice completely rots (or has it already?)

Will be looking to take my half ton.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:50 PM

Default gull

was out at brownslow on mon not much for snow on the lake, i have a 2 wheel drive very easy to get around ice was about 24''. Fishing was slow 1 pike and 4 perch, seen alot of white fish and ling on the cam in 20ft but no takers.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 PM

Default Wilson

The ice was melting really fast today. Saw one guy pull another guy out, As well as pull an 4x4 truck out at the entrance. The worst spot is trying to get onto the ice or off.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostguide1 View Post
The ice was melting really fast today. Saw one guy pull another guy out, As well as pull an 4x4 truck out at the entrance. The worst spot is trying to get onto the ice or off.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going with a buddy and he has a winch. Hope we don't have to use it.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:06 PM

Any newer updates on Brownlows access? or Sandy point?
Old 03-13-2015, 05:53 PM

was out today, entrance to lakes a very bad, Brownlows was especially chewed up, decent ice once out there but its getting very soft, take care about driving onto lake, I wouldn't drive any more.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:50 AM

Anyone on the lake now ? Planning out tomorrow how is the access point? Thanks and tight lines.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 AM

Interested to hear as well since tomorrow was gonna be my last ice trip of the season. Might take the pull sled & go anyway but I know from experience that you gotta move a lot & drill lots of holes to get on the fish to have a good day on Gull. Not sure if I am motivated enough to pull my sled around that much lol.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:47 AM

I just got back from Wilson's and the access is getting chewed up but it wasn't a problem. You can drive around the bad spots, there was even a car out on the ice. The ice is fine once away from shore, it wasn't rotten were we were.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:35 PM

Was out yesterday and drove in at brownlows. it was rutted up pretty bad so decided to go out at Sandy point and boy that was interesting.There was a lot of bubbling water at shore and then thick mud as soon as you get on shore.Im sure the developer will shut that access off.Not recommending to use that access anymore.Saying that people were catching a lot of burbot just n.e. of Sandy point.It was a great day on the ice otherwise.Only managed 1 white,perch and northern.Any day away from work to enjoy fishing in the sunshine is a great stress reliever!
Old 03-14-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessey View Post
I just got back from Wilson's and the access is getting chewed up but it wasn't a problem. You can drive around the bad spots, there was even a car out on the ice. The ice is fine once away from shore, it wasn't rotten were we were.
What he said. Really not that bad. If you drove in the previous tracks you were treated to a car/truck wash

Limited out on whites in 1 hour...
The fishing was lights out!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:01 PM

If this weather continues, I presume you can still walk on by next week (with a wet suit). That'll probably do it.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM

Fished totally open water today down South of Calgary..LOL
Old 03-15-2015, 10:21 PM

Seems pretty much pointless going there (Gull) with 2 wheel drive.

Last edited by FishinAB; 03-15-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinAB View Post
Seems pretty much pointless going there (Gull) with 2 wheel drive.
I wouldn't try it with 2 wheel only. I was there Sunday & although I did drive my F150 4x4 on along with about a dozen other trucks, it's starting to get a little sketchy along the shore access points. There also seems to be large pockets of water & slush hidden under the remaining drifts. There were even several 2wd & 4x's parked on land around the launch who chose not to try it.

Unless it stays below zero at Gull all week I doubt anyone will be able to drive on by Friday!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
I wouldn't try it with 2 wheel only. I was there Sunday & although I did drive my F150 4x4 on along with about a dozen other trucks, it's starting to get a little sketchy along the shore access points. There also seems to be large pockets of water & slush hidden under the remaining drifts. There were even several 2wd & 4x's parked on land around the launch who chose not to try it.

Unless it stays below zero at Gull all week I doubt anyone will be able to drive on by Friday!
And a 2 wheel drive cargo van is one of the worst for getting stuck. Not easy to push either.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinAB View Post
And a 2 wheel drive cargo van is one of the worst for getting stuck. Not easy to push either.
I can imagine lol