Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-29-2008, 08:03 PM

Default whats in newell

going to newell for the first time this weekend, i've always heard it's good for pike and walleye. but heard today it's also pretty good for rainbows. is there any truth in that?

also if there are any other species other than pike and walleye what are they
Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Tex, if you find those rainbows through the ice, your a better man than anyone in this neck of the woods, least as far as i would know. There are some in there, if i had a scanner, id post a couple up for you to see, they arent monsters, but real good fish. The best ive caught will go right in at 5lbs, but there are bigger ones for sure....Ive seen the bas-turds. I wont say where or when i get into them, but there are some real hawgs in there......Good luck!!! I wouldnt hold my breath though, i dont think they are in high numbers. There is the odd brown as well, but i havent managed one of those dudes from this lake yet. I guess back in the 50s they attempted to stock Newell with Brookies, but that one didnt fly. Dont get your hopes up on a brookie, cause they aint there. You should be able to get into whitefish, pike, walleye, perch, ling, and the odd rainbow or brown,(very rare). If you make er down, good luck!!! I would like to hear how you made out when your back and settled at home. Id offer to take you out for a day or 2 for a mixed bag deal, but im working this weekend, and the next one, i have a mule deer to get officially scored for B&C. Then hopeing to hit a little secret spot i know on a different local slough. Have fun!

keep a strain on er.