Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-16-2008, 11:36 AM

Default 7 mm r.m. combo hunting bullet

I shoot 140gr accubonds for deer but this year I'm planning a combo hunt deer/elk.

My concern is that if I step up to 160gr they won't expand on deer and if I stick with 140 gr they'll explode on an elk shoulder and not penatrate.

I had a bad experience with the 160gr fail safes not expanding on deer doing very little damage inside and me tracking a deer through thick bush for what seemed like forever. (only got one lung so bullet not completely to blame)

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2008, 12:13 PM

150gr. Nosler Partitions.
This should give you the best of both worlds.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 PM

You can go with a compromise bullet like Dick suggested, but your 140 gr AccuBonds should work just fine on both deer and elk. It's unlikely that a bonded core bullet will explode on an elk's shoulder like you are worried about.

The Barnes TSX bullet is another one you might want to consider.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Accubonds

You can stay with the 140 Accubonds or upgrade to the 160's. We use 140's in our 270WSM's and they take everything down -elk, moose, bear, deer. Its all bullet placement.

All one shot kills and the animals drop or dont go very far after(30m the most we have had)
Old 05-16-2008, 12:31 PM

I really like Partitions as well. Having said that my last couple animals have been taken with bonded bullets and from that small sampling, I'd have no hesitation using them again - good expansion and penetration. Try a few quality bullets and your rifle will tell you what it likes.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:09 PM

I also think your 140 accubonds will do the trick. I would not worry about the 160g Nosler partitions not opening on deer, they are very reliable. I would still pick the 160g partition over all others as the "best all round bullet" for the 7mm mag.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 PM

I shoot 160 gr TSX and 160 Accubond in my 7mm Rem Mag. They hit to within 1/2 point of impact at 300 yds. Both seem to kill just as quick and I've yet to recover any bullets from the 4 deer and two elk I've tagged in the past couple of years.

160 grs Nosler AccuBond*
61.0 grs RL-22
WW Cases
Federal 215 Magnum Primers
OAL 3.320

160 gr. Barnes X Triple Shock
64.0grs RL-22
RP Cases
Federal 215Magnum Primers Cases
OAL 3.265
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams 1775
Old 05-16-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
I shoot 140gr accubonds for deer but this year I'm planning a combo hunt deer/elk.

My concern is that if I step up to 160gr they won't expand on deer and if I stick with 140 gr they'll explode on an elk shoulder and not penatrate.

I had a bad experience with the 160gr fail safes not expanding on deer doing very little damage inside and me tracking a deer through thick bush for what seemed like forever. (only got one lung so bullet not completely to blame)

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks
The people I load the 7mag for choose the 160 Game King for everything, witrh a few opting the Barnes bullets.
the 160 game King flattens ANYTHING it hits, Grizzlies included.
It has no prblems with smaller stuff like deer also....
Cat
Old 05-16-2008, 05:08 PM
stubblejumper

I have seen the results of the 140gr accubond on moose,and it worked just fine,however I prefer the 140gr tsx above all other 7mm bullets.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Agree with Cat's observation. I use the 160 Game King exclusively - means sighting in session is once. Can be a bit devastating on deer, it's actually a bit too much gun except ballistically it's awful flat. Very effective on moose and big elk at all ranges as it carries energy that most .30's are hard pressed to match at 400 yards. (over 2000 ft/lbs @ 400 with factory Federal Premium, more if you choose to load max).
Old 05-16-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I also think your 140 accubonds will do the trick. I would not worry about the 160g Nosler partitions not opening on deer, they are very reliable. I would still pick the 160g partition over all others as the "best all round bullet" for the 7mm mag.

Good luck
X2 I have killed nearly every animal 1 can hunt in N.A. with a 7 Rem Mag using 160 gr Partitions, nothing has ever failed to go down and stay down.
The 140s will work as well, but I found the Accubonds to be only truly accurate to about 500 yards then they seem to wander off into the unknown.
Unlike Cat I have had far too many Gamekings fail. They are accurate, and destructive, assuming they don't come apart on the ribs.

Bullet construction is important, but placement is critical.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 05-19-2008, 08:28 PM

dont forget the 140 gr barnes both x and tsx with the weight retained they hit like a 160 gr lead core bullet and they lay down deer with authority
Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
dont forget the 140 gr barnes both x and tsx with the weight retained they hit like a 160 gr lead core bullet and they lay down deer with authority
They do the same for elk and moose,but I would use the tsx over the original x,as they foul much less,are usually more accurate,and can be driven faster with the same pressure.They also have a redesigned nose cavity for better expansion and less chance of petals breaking off.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:03 PM

Hello, The 160 gr. Accubond is a very good bullet. It'll open up good on deer, but plenty strong for elk. I actually load 175 gr. Hornady IL's in my 7mm's and they do the trick every time. You should be able to get your 160's to 3050 -3100 fps and that will do the trick nicely on anything. Good luck, Eric
Old 05-19-2008, 09:29 PM

162 gr. hornadys. Best in our 7. tack driver and has flattened numerous elk and deer. Expands well with usually no exit and dosnt turn the meat to hamburger. just my couple of pennies
Old 05-20-2008, 06:06 PM

Although I've had no experience with them, yet, I'll be working up a load for my 7RM based on the Berger 168 VLD. Although my VLD order is yet to arrive, so has my custom 7 RM so no time has been lost. I plan on shooting everything from now on with the VLD on an experimental basis. I used to shoot everything with the 162 Solid base until Nosler quit producing them. Since then, it's been the 150 Ballistic Tip. Can't comment on how the BT performed on elk because I've never hunted them. Nonetheless, it's worked exceptionally well on a number of moose. And everything else. Never had a the failures which some claim.

Bobby B.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 PM

ballistic tips are amazingly accurate deer bullets...but they are deer bullets. Stick with your accubond or better yet use a partition.Elk are big and tough...more so than moose.I realize there have been moose and elk shot with light bullets, smaller calibers ect.. but you owe it to the elk to use the right kind of bullet.An elk will grab your bullet and golooking for another one especially if shot poorly.Use a good bullet that your gun shoots well and with everything else beeing said shot placement is the most important thing period.Nosler is my bullet of choice but there are good bullets from Barnes, swift-a frame, speer, trophy bonded,hornady, sierra....on and on the list goes.Get the ones that are built to penetrate and get the ones your gun likes.I shoot .280 rem and have had good result with partition in 140,150 ,160 gr offerings as well as accubonds in 160.