Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-16-2008, 11:21 PM

Default .45-70 and the Lee Loader

I'm pretty well shocked. Bought one of the Lee all-in-a-little-red-box Loaders just for the hell of it and put my little plastic hammer to work, shot off a few and now I'm wondering why I tied all this money up in various green and orange and red presses and the related crap we all "need" with it. RCBS 5-0-5 scale weighed every charge, hand-chamfered new WW brass to 2.105" and followed the instructions. Finished with a handful of very exact 2.540" COL, the slightly longer ones required another tap or two. This is my heavy hunting load - 57 grs 3031, CCI 200 primer, 350 gr Hornady RN. What bugs me is the accuracy - it's considerably better than anything else I've used to throw the same load together, no matter how careful or with what equipment. Put a 5-shot group into a .625" group @ 100 yds with a 9X scope borrowed of my .243. I'm a at a bit of a loss for words........I think the thing cost about $29! All this with a Marlin lever XLR, 24" bbl of course.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:41 AM

Absolutely right sbtennex!

The issue , of course, is just how much stuff we tie up into handloading when sometimes we don't have to!
I've been told countless times by countless people and have also read the same that Lee equipment is cheap, sub standard, and just plain no good.
The opposite is fact true, it is totally satisfactory stuff.
BR shooters like Warren Page used some of it (maybe not all), world records have been set with it, and thousands of people have enjoyed hunting and trget shooting with Lee equipment.

The dies sometimes are a little different diameter than some would like, but Lee will accomadate that at no charge, with a super gaurantee.

The original Lee loader has only one flaw, and that is the fact that it it neck sizes, so in time the cases will have to be trimmed.
This is the one operation that cannot be done with it.

But other than being a tad slow they are very accurate, with a very good inline bullet seating feature.

I've used them in 12 guage, .222 Rem., 6.5X55, 30'06, .308, 45/70,to name just a few.
I also still use their collet dies, primimg tool, and lots of other stuff.
Yup, I like 'em, and use the 6.5X55 die for my O/U express rifle.
Cat
Old 05-17-2008, 08:02 AM

I absolutely agree, Cat.

There is nothing wrong with Lee reloading equipment, for the most part. I use a bunch of it - although I do admit I have some RCBS stuff as well.

The Lee products can be used to make perfectly good and accurate ammunition as long as one pays attention to what one is doing.

I have made some of my best and most accurate ammunition ever using Lee products.

Patience and attention to detail is probably 90% of handloading anyhow - not what color your equipment is.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 AM

They are caveman and slow but make great ammo no doubt about it!Great for survival/trappers and guys that just want to dabble........Harold
Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 PM

Okay, dumb question time. I have just taken a look at these "Lee all-in-a-little-red-box Loaders" online and am pretty excited. I have wanted to get into reloading for awhile, but I live in a small condo and don't really have the space or a sturdy bench etc. - which seem to be required for most reloading set ups.

The main caliber that I would like to start reloading for is my .45-70 Guide Gun because I would like to work up a load pushing 400gr (ish) hardcasts to 1600-1800fps which I obviously cannot just walk into the store and purchase.

So, my question is this: as a reasonably intelligent person who has never reloaded and who does not have access to a sturdy work bench, but who can and will read instructions and follow detailed directions - can I just buy one of these $30 kits for .45-70, pick up one of those caliber specific reloading pamphlets, get some brass and components and start working up loads? If yes, I am tres excite.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:26 PM

Moose Whisperer - if you are to cast these 400gr (ish) bullets and remain - along with your condo neighbours - 'reasonably intelligent', I hope that your bullet casting operations will take place outdoors...

Sounds like you have an interesting project ahead of you.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
if you are to cast these 400gr (ish) bullets and remain - along with your condo neighbours - 'reasonably intelligent', I hope that your bullet casting operations will take place outdoors...
I think you should re-read my post. I did not say I would be casting my own bullets, I said I would like to reload cast bullets.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:00 PM

I have one for my 30-06 and found it worked great. I managed to put together some very accurate loads and found it incredible simple. The only extras where a powder scale, small hammer, and loading manual. A little powder, some primers, bullets and your good to go......
Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose Whisperer View Post
Okay, dumb question time. I have just taken a look at these "Lee all-in-a-little-red-box Loaders" online and am pretty excited. I have wanted to get into reloading for awhile, but I live in a small condo and don't really have the space or a sturdy bench etc. - which seem to be required for most reloading set ups.

The main caliber that I would like to start reloading for is my .45-70 Guide Gun because I would like to work up a load pushing 400gr (ish) hardcasts to 1600-1800fps which I obviously cannot just walk into the store and purchase.

So, my question is this: as a reasonably intelligent person who has never reloaded and who does not have access to a sturdy work bench, but who can and will read instructions and follow detailed directions - can I just buy one of these $30 kits for .45-70, pick up one of those caliber specific reloading pamphlets, get some brass and components and start working up loads? If yes, I am tres excite.
It's a no brainer for the most part!
Follow thw diesctions and you will be alright.
make sure you get a vernier to check case growth, you can use it for other stuff as well after.
if you need anyhelp with the cast bullet info, just holler.
Although we don't shoot repeaters, blackman and I have a bit of know how in the cast and black department with big bullets and big calibers.
Cat
Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose Whisperer View Post

I think you should re-read my post. I did not say I would be casting my own bullets, I said I would like to reload cast bullets.
Ok.

Your "hardcasts...which I obviously cannot just walk into the store and purchase" led me to wrongly conclude that you'd cast your own.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Ok.

Your "hardcasts...which I obviously cannot just walk into the store and purchase" led me to wrongly conclude that you'd cast your own.
I've used a couple of the Lee bullet moulds. Nothing wrong with them either.
Grizz
Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 PM

Hey Cat, any experience with cast bullets from the Bullet Barn? I'm looking at their 405gr RNFP GC TLG and thinking it should do the trick. Also, they are a Canadian company, which should avoid (or at least reduce) annoying shipping issues. I also noticed in Russell's catalouge that they carry Plains cast bullets that are crazy cheap and that I could just buy here in town - any experience with them? Any other manufacturers that you like or would recommend?

All info appreciated.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:08 PM

They only store bought cast bullets I have ever used are lyman 40 cal. and 45 cal long range bullets of 480 and around 500 grains, never any from the bullet barn.

We cast virtually all our bullets.

Cat
Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 PM

MT Chambers-aka-Ben Hunchak makes cast boolits for just about any cal. you need. Can't find his addy right now-check over at CGN forums.

If I come across his #, I will p.m.

Archdlx