Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-24-2008, 12:01 AM

Default max,max load for 338 rum

Just wondering what is the hottest load that any one has loaded for the 338 rum. I been playing with mine for two years now just wondering if I am selling my self short.I have been trying some differnt loads with 180 accubonds.I also bought some 180 barnes mrx.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:17 AM

I gotta ask, why would you shoot such light bullets in a rifle designed to shoot heavier 1s?
If you only want to shoot 180 gr bullets why not in a 30 cal where they actually work well.
Your 338RUM is capable of sending 250 or more grain bullets down range farther, and with a far flatter trajectory using the 250 plus weight bullets.
To me this seems like buying a Ferrari and then diving only in parking lots so as to keep the speed down.

I realize I have not answered your question, I am not sure if many guys bother to shoot the lightest bullet available in a semi big bore rifle. You would probably get more info if the post was for bullets more commonly used in a 338.
Liability may also prevent some from posting results.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 05-24-2008, 12:17 PM

I find that with the heavy bullets when shooting deer size game that the bullet just wistles right through them with minimal damage.I was just trying to develope a load that will do better in this case.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigD1979 View Post
I find that with the heavy bullets when shooting deer size game that the bullet just wistles right through them with minimal damage.I was just trying to develope a load that will do better in this case.
You sum it up right there, the 338RUM is neither a quindesetal deer rifle in any ilk, no matter how you spin it.
If your looking for a flat shooting deer caliber perhaps another caliber is in order.
The 338RUM as ATR has pointed out is designed to drive 225gr. and heavier bullets at extreme ranges and provide adequate umph to dispatch critters in the elk/moose/Gbear catigory.
Sure it works for smaller stuff, but frankly there are better choices of caliber if deer is your primary quary.
My go to for deer is simple, a 25'06 loaded with 100gr. TSX bullets, kills em as dead as any of the larger calibers out there, and plenty flat for what 95% of us will ever shoot, oh ya meat damge is minimal even on quartering shots.

There are no absolutes