Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 03:45 PM

Default River fishing for pike, walleye etc

So I currently reside in Didsbury and don't have TOO much fishing for pike around except for the little red deer river. I am wondering if anyone might possibly either feel like letting me know a good section of river to find pike or might want to go out and hit the river together before the end of the season. Let me know! Thanks guys
Old 10-17-2017, 04:27 PM

You mentioned Little Red Deer River. How about the Red Deer River? If you haven't, try at Dixon Dam or just downstream from there. I caught several last week there and some bigger ones are around right now.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
You mentioned Little Red Deer River. How about the Red Deer River? If you haven't, try at Dixon Dam or just downstream from there. I caught several last week there and some bigger ones are around right now.
That spot is so busy always. I like to venture past the point where most weekend fisherman get to. I like to get away from crowds

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 05:24 PM

Default I don't know about the river, but...

To find a good hole on the little red deer you would have to do quite a bit of driving and exploring, this time of year though they are stacking up in the deeper holes so if you are lucky enough to find a spot you'll have non-stop action. To be honest you're more likely to find a little brown trout or a rocky mountain whitefish before you find a pike on most of the Little Red Deer river.

Anyways, if I were you and willing to do a bit of foot work, scrap the river and go to Pine Lake. It's not a far drive at all and you will get into a ton of little pike there as well as the odd walleye and perch.

Sylvan is not impossible to get to either from Didsbury and you can have a blast catching walleye (and the odd pike) off any public piers/docks. Be careful about private property though, of course! Slip bobber and a 1/0 hook with a minnow. You won't be able to set the rod down before you have something shaking your bobber.

Hope this helps and tight lines!
Old 10-17-2017, 05:31 PM

No sylvan isn't far and i do have a 14 foot aluminum boat but I've been more into the river fishing since I'll be doing only lake fishing in a couple months anyways. I have come across some very deep pools with lots of cover along the little red but have never had any luck. I know the medicine river was good last year but have only been once this year

Old 10-17-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnuts View Post
No sylvan isn't far and i do have a 14 foot aluminum boat but I've been more into the river fishing since I'll be doing only lake fishing in a couple months anyways. I have come across some very deep pools with lots of cover along the little red but have never had any luck. I know the medicine river was good last year but have only been once this year

what kind of lures / presentations are you using to fish those deeper holes? Like I said, there may be fish in those holes but they might not be pike :-) What section of the LRDR are you fishing? I'm just curious.

Try throwing a small spinner and working it really slowly through the pool. They are usually excellent at stirring up pike and if there's a brown lurking in there they won't shy from it either.

For RMW's try a little wire worm under an indicator or even some sort of nymph imitation fly.

Last edited by NSR Fisher; 10-17-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
what kind of lures / presentations are you using to fish those deeper holes? Like I said, there may be fish in those holes but they might not be pike :-) What section of the LRDR are you fishing? I'm just curious.

Try throwing a small spinner and working it really slowly through the pool. They are usually excellent at stirring up pike and if there's a brown lurking in there they won't shy from it either.

For RMW's try a little wire worm under an indicator or even some sort of nymph imitation fly.
Honestly I've only been to the spot once but i will return. It is over run with trees under the surface and i was nervous about losing my hooks lol i was using panther Martin spinner. I don't fly fish. I didn't try for pike since i felt like a little brown action

Tags
pike, river fishing