Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Default Wild berries

Guys this may sound wierd but I eat a lot of berries when hunting and hiking in the bush.

I always eat the same ones and I haven't died yet.

One day I should look up which ones I'm actually eating but I did have a question today as my wife keeps bugging me about it.

Are there any poisonous berries in Alberta?
Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 AM

Lots of good info here....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=poiso...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 09-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Guys this may sound wierd but I eat a lot of berries when hunting and hiking in the bush.

I always eat the same ones and I haven't died yet.

One day I should look up which ones I'm actually eating but I did have a question today as my wife keeps bugging me about it.

Are there any poisonous berries in Alberta?
I have never put it to the test but my dad pointed out two types of berries he said were poisonous. Some of my reference books list the same berries as poisonous.

Those two are Baneberries they can be red white or dark purple;

And black Twinberry, which is the fruit of Wild Honeysuckle.

I am not aware of any other wild fruit that is poisonous although there are several that are not palatable. I don't believe those would make you sick, they just taste bad or are too dry for pleasant eating.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 AM

There are many berries in Alberta that are listed as poisonous, however you would need to eat a large quantity of them to feel the effects unless you have some sort of underlying medical condition. Of course children will be more susceptible to the effects. The most toxic I am aware of is the white berries that grow in bunches but off the top of my head I'm not sure what they are called.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
The most toxic I am aware of is the white berries that grow in bunches but off the top of my head I'm not sure what they are called.
The most common and most noticeable clusters of white berries one is likely to encounter in Alberta are the fruit of the Red Willow, also known as Bear Berries because bears seem to like them.
My books identify them as Red Osier Dogwood. The plant is a willow that can grow to more then ten feet tall.

They are bitter and dry but not dangerous, although some reports say they are mildly toxic in large quantities.

Bane berries can be white and do grow in clusters and are very dangerous, but are not common.
The plant is an herb that can grow to a bit over two feet tall. It grows mostly in damp shady forests.

Buck Brush berries are greenish white early in the fall and grow in small clusters but they turn purple before hunting season opens plus they often go unnoticed.

The plant is a small bush that grows in open undisturbed ground. It grows to one or two feet tall and the berries are borne close to the stem and in small clusters and therefore go unnoticed even when the plant is noticed.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-13-2018, 07:51 PM

great thread.

I love eating berries during hunting season.

I eat a lot of dried up chokecherries this time of year...I enjoy them better now than when they are "ripe".

Also, I love the cranberries and will eat them all winter long frozen on the trees.
Great refreshing treat when your deer hunting, chicken hunting or cross-country skiing later in the winter.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:25 PM

I'll post pics of the ones I snack on when I'm hunting when I get back on Monday