Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 PM

Default Quick Question Reguarding the ht windlass

i know its not the season, but i just had some thought recolecting on the past fishing trip at utikuma, we were targeting walleyes, and all we found ourselves on were a ton of pike, this was my first outing with the windlass, we had a light but steady breeze, wich from what iv been reading is very settable to get some jigging from the windlass, and im sure that if i put the time in could of done, we had 3 people. and 1 atv, this was about 4 weeks ago, so i was the first to be dropped off, i drilled 8 or 9 holes, and chose the middle one just out of curiosity, and within the first 30 seconds i had a hit, i poorly tied the lure onto my line, and the pike took it with little to no effort, so on the second go, i tied up my lure, with 2 wraps through the eyelet, pulled on it for safety, by the way i was using an uni knot, dropped the line in, and got a hit straight away, pulled up this little 53 cm pike, but i notices it had a peice of line on its side! "MY CHEWED BROKEN LINE! WITH MY UNI KNOT"But no hook... so i threw er back, and set up the windlass to the best of my knowledge. fiddled with er for 20 mins trying to get a jig, and eventually said fckit, tightend er up, and let er sit, well ill tell you, that windlass didnt get a hit all day, it got 0 for my 10, anyways, i realize its going to take tinkering for me to get it to work, and a light wind is probobly the worst for a first timer to set up on, but i hear people saying the flag goes off so easilly and that they're constantly resetting the thing, the wind picked up and i loosend er off, she was jigging then, my question is, no matter how muched i let the thing jig, that flag would never fly, without a fish on the other end giving a signifgant pull, there is no way that flagb would fly. is there somthing up with my windlass? that flag is glued pretty low on the the thing... they say even the slightest bight from a perch, but i cant see that, atleast not with my rig
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM

it will depend on how far you sink that flag on your spool. on windy days i set the flag farther down on the spool but on calm days i have the flag barely catching the spool. did you loosen the nut off all the way so the spool turns freely without catching?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM

the spool catchs a tiny bit so there was a spot there i could sit it perfectly on its own on on the littles twitch would realease line like nothing, even under the weight of the lure, i wasnt able to set the flag so it would trip like nothing, but then again, i didnt try, i just set it the way, i figured was meant to be set, how full is your spool, iv got an entire powerline 12 pound braid, on it,
Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
the spool catchs a tiny bit so there was a spot there i could sit it perfectly on its own on on the littles twitch would realease line like nothing, even under the weight of the lure, i wasnt able to set the flag so it would trip like nothing, but then again, i didnt try, i just set it the way, i figured was meant to be set, how full is your spool, iv got an entire powerline 12 pound braid, on it,
I like my spool pretty full so when a big fish takes off the spool doesn't have to turn as quick to release the same amount of line as a bunch of smaller wraps. I use a thicker braid for one simple fact that backlashes are gonna happen on the windlass because after the flag is tripped there is no way to keep tension unless you have the line in your hand. Also it has got to shed water really well because the spool sits out of the water and you don't want it to turn into a block of ice on the cold days.......man is summer over yet? I miss ice fishing.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:59 PM

to make the HT perform...drill out the top pivot point 1 size bigger and fill with sub zero lube

bend your vanes to catch air

stretch your springs....you want a soft soggy shock. This will cause a problem of not having enough adjustment in your sliding spring adjuster...solve this by moving the guide out of the verticle position and into horizontal position, now you have alot of adjustment. Its easier to adjust this way also. This will allow a bug fart to make it jig

fill the spool with a braided dacron......a slippery braid will allow the flag to spin on the spool......gudebrod 50lb tournament grade is the only line ive found that im happy with in 20 years

if you still have issues a wrap of cloth hockey tape to the flag stick helps.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
to make the HT perform...drill out the top pivot point 1 size bigger and fill with sub zero lube

bend your vanes to catch air

stretch your springs....you want a soft soggy shock. This will cause a problem of not having enough adjustment in your sliding spring adjuster...solve this by moving the guide out of the verticle position and into horizontal position, now you have alot of adjustment. Its easier to adjust this way also. This will allow a bug fart to make it jig

fill the spool with a braided dacron......a slippery braid will allow the flag to spin on the spool......gudebrod 50lb tournament grade is the only line ive found that im happy with in 20 years

if you still have issues a wrap of cloth hockey tape to the flag stick helps.

no luck digging up your old thread on this chubb? wasn't part of the infamous one was it, can't remember?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
no luck digging up your old thread on this chubb? wasn't part of the infamous one was it, can't remember?
40 year thread is Gonzo