Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 PM

Default Grassi Lakes

Any fish in that little pond? if so whats in there?
thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 PM

I have seen some tiny little fish around 6 inches long in there but nothing bigger. Not sure what they are. I probably wouldn't ever bother fishing there. It is a nice hike though.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 PM

You can fish for cutts in there. They are small. Maybe up to nine -ten inch.
If you're going to fish for cutts in a lake you might want to go to Rawson. A bit longer hike, but a lake worth fishing none the less.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 PM

thanks go they get alot of dry fly hatches or is it worth bring a fly rod for casting.?
thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 PM

no hatches its a very sterile pond and the fish in there are actually Brookies very small caught some last summer not much back cast room don't bring your fly rod
Old 03-18-2011, 10:34 PM

Brook trout is the correct answer. Very cold water, very slow growing fish. The 10 inch fish are 10 years old.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:58 PM

brookies is what i was thinking too...as i seen brookis dont need alot of oxygenated water too surive adn that pond is quite shallow
Old 03-18-2011, 11:13 PM

ya I don't recommend it as a fishing spot but it's a nice place to have lunch so you should just go fish the bow for some big browns
Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 AM

The reservoir below grassi lakes (near the Canmore Nordic Centre) has some fish in it. I used to troll it while out on the kayak. I caught brown trout mainly on small spoons. I think there are also lakers and mountain whitefish in there. Also, the canal that connects Goat Pond to the reservoir at the top of the pass ("White Man's Pass") has lots of whitefish in it.

As for Grassi lakes, I would just go up there for climbing and sight-seeing, I don't think that they are much good for fishin'.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:57 AM

Try Rawson (as mentioned), Maude, Three Isle or Chester Lakes if you are wanting to do a slightly longer hike to get into some good trout fishing.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 AM

I wouldn't go to Grassi specifically to fish, but if I were going anyway, I would definitely bring some light gear. a two weight rod, floating line, and an assortment of dries and nymphs. If you're on spinning tackle, maybe just bring light line with a small bobber and tie on some flies.

Don't bother casting out... what's fun about Grassi is that the brookies mostly hang near the structures around the edges. Sight fishing is definitely the way to go, and it's a blast watching the little things attack your fly and take off with it. You barely have to set the hook as they do most of the work for you.

As mentioned by others, Rawson and Chester are better fishing lakes, if you are going out solely to catch fish. Both have good sight fishing near the edges as well, but the big guys hang out deeper, of course. Rawson is the tougher of the two hikes. I would put Chester and Grassi in the same difficulty range.... a slightly fatiguing uphill walk.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:26 PM

What are the Regulations

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 PM

I love all these recommendations to fish somewhere else. It just leaves more room for me to fish there!

Personally, I love the Grassi Lakes. They are extremely beautiful, and sight fishing for the little brookies is such a blast. The lakes (more like ponds) are so clear you can see the entire lakebed in both, and it's really easy to see all the little brookies swimming around and holding by various types of structure. Who cares if the fish don't grow to be much bigger than 10 inches at best? They are a blast to catch, and their colouration is amazing. They are truly beautiful fish, which compliment the beauty of the crystal clear lakes and the surrounding cliffs, mountains, and forests.

Really, I think that if you're just out to catch the big ones you're not fishing for the right reasons. I believe that no matter how small a trout (or any fish for that matter) is, it is still a beautiful and fascinating animal, and they're fun to catch at any size.

But really, you don't want to fish here. Go fish at some other lake
Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 PM

What are the regs and which lake has fish, the first or the second?

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 05-26-2011, 07:10 AM

a small alpine lake.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM

You could also give Quarry Pond a shot its on the same road you head up to grassy. Its got lots of nice sized arctic grayling that love flies and has lots of casting room.

Cheers,