Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 AM

Default 44 Mag

Hey there
I am looking for a 44 MAg in a Ruger semi Auto Rifle.
It looks just like a 10-22 but it's 44.
My dad had one when I was a kid, I would love to get 1 back!!!!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:24 AM

They make them [a new version] Ruger .44 Wholesale or Russels should have them in stock [Calgary] Harold
Old 05-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Gone Hunting

I have always had a yen to get one as well. Years ago I just wanted one for target fun and maybe shooting some small game and varmints. Now you can hunt big game with one it makes one even more attractive. I saw one of the old style Rugers at the drayton Valley gun show a few years back and should have picked it up.

Maybe next time.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
They make them [a new version] Ruger .44 Wholesale or Russels should have them in stock [Calgary] Harold
Like Harold said, they made a new version with several improvments, including a detachable magazine, integral bases, and a faster twist. But if you are hoping to find a new one in stores you should hurry. Ruger seems to have discontinued the "deerfield carbine."
Old 05-10-2008, 03:25 PM

Default rare and hard to find

Greetings and my first post.

I found a 1973 model in VG condition at $475, and really enjoy it. The rifle was re-launched briefly in 2001 as a bolt action but discontinued. Good luck looking. for 50-100 yds there is nothing it can't hit fast and hard with its 240 grain bullet.

Here is one place in Ontario that has one
http://www.gobles.ca/AccessAd.html#SGSUSED

David D.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:26 PM

Default 44 mag

Thanks for the info and the website guys.

Dave, I checked out the website. The rifle looks pretty good, just waiting to hear back rom them now. Have you dealt with these guys before?

Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Gone Hunting

One of the columnists in Alberta Outdoorsmen (Marv Man___ Campfire talk???) had a pic of hinself with his wadders on and a fishin rod in his hand and what looked like a ruger .44 carbine on a sling over his shoulder. I always thought he maybe carried it when fishing for "bear insurance".

Which I sometimes think may have been a good idea. But sometimes I think, if you are going to the trouble to pack a long gun while fishing, there may be better options than one chambered in .44 mag. However a short semi auto may be real handy. (how many shots can one put into a bears head/neck/back while it is moving fast toward you at from 10 or 12 yards from a powerful bolt action compaired to a manageable, semiauto?) Then again many feel that pepper spray is actually better than just about any "gun" for detering a bear charge.

Robin in Rocky
Old 05-11-2008, 03:53 PM

I'd be stokin it with 265gr Hornady handloads if the twist is correct for them......................Harold
Old 05-13-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Ruger 44

Well I've got my New to me Ruger en-route from Ont. It's the older style with the magazine instead of the clip but I am sure it will work just fine for what I am using it for.
Duffy are you sure it's legal for hunting? I thought there was something about the cartridge size. I will have to look it up, not going to be using it for hunting anyways but there might come a time.

Pioneer have you done any reloading for one before?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Gone Hunting

There used to be a caliber and cartridge length regulation. But they dropped the length restriction a few years ago.

From the regs elsewhere on this site...

IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5 cartridges in the magazine,
a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
...ETC....

They have been using this gun and cartridge for deer hunting in the east and in the states for a long time. Within its limitations it should be a handy woods deer gun.

Robin in Rocky
Old 05-13-2008, 02:10 PM

Default 44 mag

Thanks Duffy

Thats what I wasn't sure about was the cartridge length.
In any case it should be a fun rifle to do some BLASTING with.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 PM

Just looking through my Russels catalog, the closest I can find from them is the Ruger model 96/44 Lever action carbine. Looks like a 10/22 but its lever action instead of semi-auto. 44mag, 18 1/2" barrel, 6lbs, #553444, $589.99. At Russels in Calgary.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:52 PM

Default Ruger .44 Auto (old type) for Sale

I have a Ruger .44 carbine, like new condition, that was in my grandfathers guns when he passe away a few months ago. I have been offered 600. dollars for it, and it he, well, he had a habit of buying guns and other things and never using them. Anything he had has sentimental value to it of course, but I know I will neve use it. I can't find the box, but it has those flip up sites, and the gun appears to the new, though I know it's not. I have found out it is a four-shot (5 w/ one in magazine) very light rifle that they quit making sometime around '73? I was told buy someone who I thinks knows, that this one is from the late sixties. It is very clean w/ no scratches or any blemishes I can see anywhere. If anyone is interested, I don't think he would mind me selling it to someone who has a love for guns and would use it (which I won't) You can reach me at drbobinc@hotmail.com, I'm in no hurry to do anything with it, so just let me know. I guess some older things were better than things made now, kind of like gramps!
Robert Miller