Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-11-2008, 11:04 PM

Default How many Alberta kayak anglers are there?

I got into kayak fishing last year after some problems with my inflatable boat. I bought 12' Manta Rays after quite a bit of online research. The boats are excellent on the Bow in moving water and on lakes. I even ventured out during a gale on Pigeon and didn't even get wet. The only problem is because they are very stable they are pigs to paddle into heavy waves. They are very comfortable to sit in, you just have to be more organized before you head out.
I checked the archives and could only find two references to kayak fishing on this forum. I joined the Canadian Kayak Anglers forum and got virtually no replies from any fellow Albertans. Are there any more kayak anglers out there? It would be great to swap rigging ideas, gear advice and kayak fishing access points andfishing tales.

Tim
Old 05-13-2008, 11:13 AM

Hi Tim,
I've been lake fishing from kayaks for a few years - but in the Kootenays and mainly for rainbows and kokanee. You probably saw my recent posts on the Hobie Mirage SUV kayak I recently received.
I found that the 'hands-free' pedalling makes handling a fishing rod a lot easier!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 PM

Two Kayak fisherman up here in Fort Mcmurray - both operate out of prowler 13 Anglers. I am about toorder mine. Looking to use them on some lakes and down the Athabasca.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Im a yakker too.
Just started this year but love it.
I got a riot enduro.
I find a belly boat too slow to effectively fish anything bigger than a pond. My inflateable is just too big to fish anywhere that i cant drive to.
Kayak fits the bill perfectly. I can hike it in to a lake,zoom across a lake, troll. Love it.

the only thing that is tough is that when you fish you have to immobilize your paddle.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 PM

Tim, thanks for stopping by CKA. We just launched that site this spring and you are the first person from Alberta to stop in. We're growing every day. Hope to see some of you kayak anglers drop in every now and then.

-Allen
Old 05-23-2008, 12:53 PM

I have been fishing from a kayak for three years now but only on lakes. I have a Wilderness Pongo it is a little small but easy to handle and stable.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Just bought my first kayak, should be delivered tomorrow, can't wait to hit the water.

http://www.clearwaterdesignboats.com/angler.htm
Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Another yakker here. I have a 12' perception and mostly flyfish.