Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 PM

Default .270 WSM range report - Magpro

I scored some Magpro last week and we tried some loads for my Savage 16 in .270 WSM. I had 3 loads that were exceptional with the 140 gr TSX.

We forgot the tripod for the chrony, so I don't have any velocity stats.

The first sweet group was 68.2 grains of Magpro. This one put 2 in the same hole with the third shot 1/8" from the 1st 2. I can't find my calipers, but it is under 1/2".

The funny thing was, the next load was a disappointment at 1 3/4" from 68.8 gr of powder.

The next load was 3/4" from 69.4 gr.

Load 4 was another 2 in one hole, with the 3rd 3/8" from the 1st 2. Looks like 5/8" measured with a crude tape measure. This one was 70 gr of Magpro and was the max load from Barnes.

I snuck in another .6 of a grain with no pressure signs and printed another group a hair over 5/8".

I am thrilled silly with these results so far I'm going to load up a bunch more and text them at 200 and 300 yards. Then the next step will be to figure out the BDC reticle on my Nikon Monarch. I picked up a 4-16 with the BDC and I love it so far.

I'll report the results from 200 and 300 later.

I did also try some loads with the 130 gr Tipped TSX. Groups were OK.

Load 1 was 71.6 gr of Magpro. 1 1/4"
Load 2 was 72.2 gr. Just under 1"
Load 3 was 72.8 gr. 1 1/8"
Load 4 was 73.4 gr. 7/8"
Load 5 was the max load from Barnes (for the MRX, closest match)

This one was fine for the 1st shot. Shot 2 popped the primer Took one more shot. Same thing However, this produced a 5/8" group. I had a fourth shot, but didn't fire it (load groups of 3, with a fourth to replace a called flier) If I have no fliers, I use them for fouling shots after cleaning.

Hopefully I can push one through a nice bear this weekend to test the performance.

Last edited by Supermag; 05-20-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Shot 2 popped the primer Took one more shot. Same thing However, this produced a 5/8" group. I had a fourth shot (load groups of 3, with a fourth to replace a called flier) If I have no fliers, I use them for fouling shots after cleaning.
After the first primer popped,I would not have fired any more of that load,as the pressure being produced is excessive regardless of group size.After having those primers pop,I would reduce the load a full two grains.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 PM

I'm going to leave the 130's alone for a while and concentrate on the 140 gr TSX. I don't want any more of that excitement

I'm also going to back them off and check them with the chrony to see what kind of velocities we're getting.

Thanks for the advice, and thanks for not flaming me I thought I should include the bad with the good experience to share my lessons with everyone else.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Default Good to know

Been working with IMR7828 SSC up to about 65.1gr with 140 accubonds.
Getting right around 1 MOA with the lighter loads 64gr. Been wanting to try the magpro next along with the 140gr TSX. Now I will for sure!

Cheers
Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 PM

I bought the Magpro at Backcountry Sports in Red Deer. I'm going down there again tomorrow. I know 2 other guys that want some as well as me. I'll have to see how many he normally orders and see if he can bump it up a bit.