Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-21-2008, 12:43 PM

Default Muzzle break for my .338

looking for a gunsmith in the Calgary area to install a muzzle break on my .338 win mag. I know it will increase muzzle blast and noise but i would like one for load development...it is not fun to shoot from the bench. would like a removable type so i can take it off when hunting.Please spare me the shoot a smaller gun comments....i have a .280 that is my main hunting rifle and some other smaller calibers but i like the .338 for elk and moose, the riffle shoots very well just looking to reduce recoil at the bench.Any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:50 PM

The trouble with removable brakes, is often the point of impact or the particular loads accuracy may change (changing barrel harmonics).
The only possible solution may be what Savage has done with it's brake's, having a stainless sleave that turns to block the ports, I however have not seen any as jobber parts.
Have you tried, a better recoil pad, and possible a few oz's of lead shot in stratigic places?

There are no absolutes
Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 PM

i have had the stock fitted to me and it wears a pachmyer magnum recoil pad.I load a 250 nosler partition with a max.charge of h4831 and it has a lot of recoil and muzzle jump, i have a scar over my eye from an 03 moose hunt, the moose tipped over on the spot...that's why i like this rifle so i would like to shoot it more. I guess i would be ok with a permanent brake just thought it woulb be nice to have a removable one
Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 PM

There are a few disadvantages to perminent brakes. It takes away from your effective barrle length and there is a chance that the brake may crack then your barrel is wrecked.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:08 PM

I do regret not having my brake removable, not that I really regret getting the brake, they do work as advertized. The nosie factor cannot be understated it is something to experience, once.

But like it was stated barrel harmonics is the possible spoiler, a mere poi change is easily dealt with because you would check zero as you would hunt anyway. but if it screws with what load it likes you loose all of the advantage of getting the brake.

What about using a lead sled for load development.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 PM

I've seen the lead sleds but have not tried one.do they work well?i have done most of my bench shooting from traditional sand bag rests...
Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM

I had Dave Henry in Bentley put as brake on my Ruger 77 Mark II .338 Win Mag and it became my lightest recoiling centrefire from being my heaviest. Mine is a permanent one. I have heard of the POI change from the barrel harmonics change when using removable ones, but what if the removeable one had an unported twin as the optional attachment instead of just a short thread protector? I think this would make POI more similar than with just a stubby thread protector. Perhaps someones tried this approach previously......
Old 05-21-2008, 03:58 PM

I have wanted to put one on my 338 RUM but was scared of loosing any fps with a perminent one and didn't want to add two or three more inches to my barrle but I would be intrested to see the diffrence that they make.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Mine is a ruger as well, MK II.it has a 24 " barrel so I'm not concerned about extra lenght. from what i have red here a brake would reduce felt recoil and muzle jump. The noise thing is not that big a deal, hearing protection is always worn at the range .As for hunting ,a few shots per season, i think i can handle it. Any recomendations for someone in Calgary area who could do the work??
Old 05-21-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigD1979 View Post
I have wanted to put one on my 338 RUM but was scared of loosing any fps with a perminent one and didn't want to add two or three more inches to my barrle but I would be intrested to see the diffrence that they make.
from what i understand there is minimal velocity loss acrross the chrongraph with a brake, bu that is not enough reason for me to use one!
Cat
Old 05-21-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
As for hunting ,a few shots per season, i think i can handle it.

I hope I don't come across the wrong way, but you can do permanent damage your hearing using a muzzle brake without hearing protection, even with a shot or two. Keep any potential hunting partners in mind also, anyone close to a rifle with a muzzle brake being shot is going to have their ears ring... possibly permanently.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:28 PM

thanks for the advice...if i get a brake i will make sure me and my pals are protected.I wear earplugs all the time and you can have them made to hear at normallevels but cut out damaging levels....come to think of it isn't the walker game ear based on that concept?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:42 PM

I have not tried this with a braked rifle so I'm not sure of it effectivenes in this case. I was told years ago to wear at least one ear plug at all times, put it in the ear pointed at the muzzle i.e. right handed shooter, left ear. I've used this method repeatedly for duck hunting and never had a problem with my other ear ringing at the end of the day. Your head blocks much of the blast before it get to your oher ear. Massive downside, this kills your "stereo" hearing and makes it very difficult to pin point where sounds are coming from. Just another option. Think the Walkers might be better if you can though.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:53 PM

I agree skip the brake and get a Lead Sled.Shooting my 375 H&H and my 338 off the Lead Sled is great.There is next to nothing for recoil.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Gone Hunting

I have a muzzle brake on custom 7 STW and when I am shooting it there is no increased noise.... only bystanders are affected. I've shot friends 300 Weatherby Magnum 3 years ago to close to a car and muzzle blast made my left ear hearing very poor now...
I am playing with 338 WM right now and have shooting vise and I am not planning on putting brake...I put Limbsaver recoil pad...
In hunting situation I don't see recoil being a problem it is on the range.

Wear ear protection no matter what you shoot....
Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 05-21-2008, 06:50 PM

I will pick up a lead sled and give it a whirl.Thanks all
Old 05-21-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
I will pick up a lead sled and give it a whirl.Thanks all
Wanna buy mine?
I hate the danged things, they are not accurate enough for working up loads.....

Cat
Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
The noise thing is not that big a deal, hearing protection is always worn at the range .As for hunting ,a few shots per season, i think i can handle it.
I personally know one individual that suffered measurable hearing loss from firing a single shot with a braked rifle without hearing protection.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:33 PM

For what its worth, I shoot a .338 Winchester with full power 250 grain loads, sans muzzlebreak. I use a 6x42 Leupold scope as it has 4.5 inches of eye relief, and a Pachmyr pad. I have had much better luck on the bench, and the field, with a long eye relief scope. Even if it isn't a high powered scope. It is light, bright, and tough. I broke variables with this rifle which is on its second barrel.

As to Lead Sleds. I shoot large bore magnum rifles. If you were to take a CZ 550, or a Ruger RSM, with full power .458 Lott loads, I can guarantee the rifle will break in the wrist of the stock... quickly! Heym's, and Blazer's in .375 (just a baby) as well in the same place. A .338, or a .375 H&H, should not break a Ruger in the wrist. Step up to a .416, or a .458 with full power loads, and it is a given that your stock will break.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 PM

Default Muzzle Break

Corlane's in Dawson Creek have a new muzzle break tah is very quiet. A fellow on CGN and HuntsBC has it on his new Sako m85SS in 338WM. Says its as quiet as stock

Give Rod/Tim a call at Corlanes

Great guys and awesome gunsmiths.