Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2018, 01:07 AM

Default Do you tent alone?

I was listening to Joe Rogan today interviewing Cam Hanes. When discussing being in the back country and how few people have ever camped alone. Hanes took an informal poll at a talk he was giving to hundreds of bow hunting enthusiasts and said nobody raised their hand. Claims it very uncommon for someone to have done it.
I can't claim I am completely comfortable in a tent alone in bear country but I do camp alone often and absolutely love the solitude. I need to drown out the nighttime silence or that mouse in the leaf litter sounds like a herd of bears "coming right at me".

Do you tent alone? Would you admit it if you wouldn't?
Old 08-30-2018, 01:25 AM

Been a while but yup done it in bear country and plan to do it again the end of this month all over again.
Done it a few times for multiple days now thinking about it, never really had an issue except being really cold Oct 20th time frame one time. I'll be a bit better prepared this time around no doubt.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:00 AM

When I was younger I camped alone lots of times. Seems I wasn't so concerned about carnivores back then. I remember sleeping under the stars with no tent, no fire, no gun or bear spray at places west of Rocky Mtn. House and near Brazeau dam.

Even north of Revelstoke in BC I camped alone for a week on a gold claim where the nearest people I knew of were 12 miles away. i was about 2 miles from my vehicle. Had a mountain caribou walk through camp one day. I did have a couple of bear cubs pass through my camp too. Mama bear led them away pretty quick. It was unnerving because I didn't have a firearm and it was before i carried bear spray. I made a covered sleeping platform in a big spruce for the remainder of my stay in that area. Never saw the bears again.

Now that I'm older I am more cautious but still like to go camping alone while fishing.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-30-2018, 07:06 AM

Over the years my hunting has turned away from group hunts to solo hunts. Maybe an age thing but I enjoy my alone time. I found that being alone gives me the freedom to hunt and explore the way I want, and at night I now enjoy the quite rather then the rum charged bragging. Now having said that, if my two adult daughters get the rare weekend to hunt with me, I take that company when I can.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:16 AM

Sure do tent alone. I have brought my gear to work on opening day and gone out by myself for a couple days out in coal branch country a few times. I solo hunt quite often. I dont miss out on outdoor opportunities waiting for somone to come hold my hand in the bush. Lifes too short...

Last edited by 1899b; 08-30-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:32 AM

Only slept alone deep in the Back Country once. My ears are too good!!!
Old 08-30-2018, 07:43 AM

When sleeping alone, or with buddies, in back country we use a trip line to wake US if something trips the line, go to kodiakcanada.com for more info
Old 08-30-2018, 07:48 AM

I have. It is a little unnerving to have "something large" sniffing around the tent at night, but they were probably just curious about my snoring

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I was listening to Joe Rogan today interviewing Cam Hanes. When discussing being in the back country and how few people have ever camped alone. Hanes took an informal poll at a talk he was giving to hundreds of bow hunting enthusiasts and said nobody raised their hand. Claims it very uncommon for someone to have done it.
I can't claim I am completely comfortable in a tent alone in bear country but I do camp alone often and absolutely love the solitude. I need to drown out the nighttime silence or that mouse in the leaf litter sounds like a herd of bears "coming right at me".

Do you tent alone? Would you admit it if you wouldn't?
Tent alone all the time, some nights are sketchy tho.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-30-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
When sleeping alone, or with buddies, in back country we use a trip line to wake US if something trips the line, go to kodiakcanada.com for more info

Trip line-it's a bear's duty to wake us from a deep sleep in the wee hours and run us out of camp in our underwear. lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-30-2018, 08:32 AM

Sleep lots of time alone elk, moose or sheep hunting. However do not like the confined granola tents. Like to be in at least 10x12 outfitter tent with good heater and lots of room to move around. If grizz decides to visit, want to have enough room to load rifle and deal with him if necessary. Like to share rum with guys or my son when they are available though.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:41 AM
Banned

I tented alone for about a month in the Wilmore about 60km from grand cache , I had a old 30-30 and a couple horses, after 3 sleepless nights I had enough and told myself if your gonna get mauled your gonna get mauled and theirs nothing you can do to stop it. So I slept with earplugs every night. And for entertainment I'd put bells on the horses and I swear they would play music lol.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:54 AM

Every year there's a few days that I camp alone in a tent. I can't say that I'm as relax as I'm at home, but enough for a good sleep.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
I tented alone for about a month in the Wilmore about 60km from grand cache , I had a old 30-30 and a couple horses, after 3 sleepless nights I had enough and told myself if your gonna get mauled your gonna get mauled and theirs nothing you can do to stop it. So I slept with earplugs every night. And for entertainment I'd put bells on the horses and I swear they would play music lol.
LOl awesome....
Old 08-30-2018, 08:58 AM

I have but Ill admit I prefer some company, especially the soft, warm female variety. I tend not to travel away from the truck now. Not because of bears but because of the risk of theft or vandalism to my vehicle.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 AM
Banned

Back in my twenties I would always go camping for one week during the summer where I would find a place somewhere on the forestry trunk road (before the area became popular) and spend a week camping on my own.
Loved it.
I remember one time (about 1978). I has set up my tent and on the second day it started to rain...a steady rain that lasted the entire day.
Kinda miserable.
About 7PM I heard someone approaching who was whistling. An old guy (at the time I though he was old...probably about 15 years younger than I am now ).
He stopped... chatted a bit and then he set up his tent close to mine for the night...he was gone before I woke up the next morning.
Coolest guy I've ever met. Turns out he was a retired logger from Quebec who was spending the summer hiking across Canada by himself. He'd literally walked from Quebec and was hoping to make Vancouver before the snow hit.
That would have been an adventure.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Back in my twenties I would always go camping for one week during the summer where I would find a place somewhere on the forestry trunk road (before the area became popular) and spend a week camping on my own.
Loved it.
I remember one time (about 1978). I has set up my tent and on the second day it started to rain...a steady rain that lasted the entire day.
Kinda miserable.
About 7PM I heard someone approaching who was whistling. An old guy (at the time I though he was old...probably about 15 years younger than I am now ).
He stopped... chatted a bit and then he set up his tent close to mine for the night...he was gone before I woke up the next morning.
Coolest guy I've ever met. Turns out he was a retired logger from Quebec who was spending the summer hiking across Canada by himself. He'd literally walked from Quebec and was hoping to make Vancouver before the snow hit.
That would have been an adventure.
Now that there is a cool story. See if you were like many who wont ever go alone, you wouldnt have met that fella. What a cool experience...
Old 08-30-2018, 10:52 AM

Fall before last I did my first solo hunting trip. On my way in I found some Grizz tracks going down the cutline right by my camp. That was the most nervous time. Didn't see him through out my trip.
Enjoyed it so much did it again last fall for a couple days until my sister came, spent a night, shot an elk, slept another night and we left.
Planning another get away in October.
Track.jpg
Old 08-30-2018, 07:16 PM

I tent alone

Not a chance you will find me laying beside a hairy snoring farting guy

Maybe if i die and go to hell, that will be my punishment

I care less about bears. I do hate mice tho.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:28 PM

I have several times and have had to deal with bears a few times.
I am confident that I can handle bear problems.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:33 PM

Always camp alone. Mules act as look-outs. And like Huntin-stuff said, could care less about bears but mice p$$s me off to no end too !
Old 08-30-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
Always camp alone. Mules act as look-outs. And like Huntin-stuff said, could care less about bears but mice p$$s me off to no end too !
I go so far as to put Warfarin pellets out to kill mice.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:02 PM

Do it a fair bit fly fishing (this month on the carbondale) and once and a while during hunting season. Not a fan of early and late tenting, waking up with tent an inch off your face and a foot of wet snow on everything.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:18 PM
Banned

I usually get out by myself for a couple of days every year. I get such a great sleep. If a bear was outside my tent snarling like they do I would just think it was my wife snoring next to me anyways lol.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:14 PM

Default Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
Bowron Lake Circuit trip, raining hard and steady so decided to skip the tent set up and sleep in one of the line cabins. Mice kept me up all night, squeaking, fighting, and running over top of me, dropping feces down from the rafters.
Saw 17 bears over ten days and never had one bother me in the tent at night.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:33 PM

Did it some when I was younger, the wife worries now if I head out alone hunting in bear country so I don’t do that anymore. It is nice going out alone sometimes but I usually stick to going with friends or family these days.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:53 PM

Back in my single days I loved camping alone. I enjoy the solitude. Some of the most well spent quality time I’ve had with myself is in the bush. It’s been years but just found out my fishing buddy can’t make a trip into the blackstone river tomorrow so looking forward to the first solo trip in years.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:56 PM

I do a lot of my hunting alone and I’ve spend many a night by myself. FYI, I don’t consider having mules, donkeys, horses, dogs, etc... being alone regardless of whether or not any of them are sleeping in your tent with you. Lol.

Bears and mice don’t bother me, but Porcupines...those fat little ********s just won’t leave me alone and they sound like a 700 pound Grizz walking around outside my tent.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Did it some when I was younger, the wife worries now if I head out alone hunting in bear country so I don’t do that anymore. It is nice going out alone sometimes but I usually stick to going with friends or family these days.
That is the thing I like about SPOT. She (my wife, not SPOT) feels better knowing I have checked in and I know she has a last know location to give search and rescue

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:28 PM

I got an early start on tenting alone as a teen dropped off by my mom in the 80's at one of many campgrounds hours from home. Just 14 year old me, a tent and my 9 foot Lund and 5 days alone with no phone. A campsite is not really camping alone in my opinion as nearby facilities make for added feelings of security. Imagine how well received that would be today.