Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 AM

Default GMC Canyon, the good, the bad???

Looking into a used GMC Canyon and just wondering what u folks think... are they good?
Do they get good mileage?
Repairs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 10:17 AM

I am guessing you are talking about a new, off the dealer lot Canyon/Colorado?

Now that Ford has started production of the Ranger, GM seems to be developing this class frantically in order to hold their market share. Lots of specialty variants will be hitting the road and can be very pricey.

Right now, they are not heavily discounted, and, full-sized are the better buy in my opinion. And, with (extended/crew) 1/2 tons you get usable rear seats and ample carrying/tow capacity. The rear seats in an extended Canyon/Colorado is not comfortable for adult rear passengers.

I would buy a 1/2 ton or wait for the heavy discounting to start next year once the Ford Ranger is on dealer lots.

-Willy
Old 09-12-2018, 10:32 AM

My wife has a 2016 Chevy Colorado. It has been a great little truck with no issues. The best she has got for mileage was 29.2 mpg.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Willy View Post
I am guessing you are talking about a new, off the dealer lot Canyon/Colorado?

Now that Ford has started production of the Ranger, GM seems to be developing this class frantically in order to hold their market share. Lots of specialty variants will be hitting the road and can be very pricey.

Right now, they are not heavily discounted, and, full-sized are the better buy in my opinion. And, with (extended/crew) 1/2 tons you get usable rear seats and ample carrying/tow capacity. The rear seats in an extended Canyon/Colorado is not comfortable for adult rear passengers.

I would buy a 1/2 ton or wait for the heavy discounting to start next year once the Ford Ranger is on dealer lots.

-Willy
Yeah, I'm kinda lusting after one of these https://expeditionportal.com/chevys-...nged-the-game/ A midsize pickup meant to be a Raptor killer.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Yeah, I'm kinda lusting after one of these https://expeditionportal.com/chevys-...nged-the-game/ A midsize pickup meant to be a Raptor killer.
Yep, That edition is so nice.

Although the ranger raptor looks good as well.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure that's not the case. The Raptor has always been billed as a high horsepower, baja style truck while this looks more like an off road rock crawling rig (as close as factories offer anyway) more in line with the Rubicon and Tacoma Pro.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Pretty sure that's not the case. The Raptor has always been billed as a high horsepower, baja style truck while this looks more like an off road rock crawling rig (as close as factories offer anyway) more in line with the Rubicon and Tacoma Pro.
I go by what I read https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/...rado-zr2-bison
The full size Raptor has it's size and horsepower going for it, but both the Ranger Raptor and the ZR2 Bison are meant to be it's midsize counterparts.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:38 PM

I bought an 08 brand new.
I really liked it, until the time came to put a carseat in it.

My overall opinion of them is they are overpriced. They're too close in price to a half ton.
Chevy needs to bring back the s10, a small truck at a small price.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:38 PM

The link you posted doesn't even mention the Raptor once in the article though, just in the headline to draw you in. And from there you came to the conclusion that Ford is going to completely abandon the existing Raptor formula and make the Ranger a rock crawler? Why would they do that as opposed to sticking with the existing, wildly successful formula already in place? Pretty sure the Ranger Raptor is going to be a smaller version of the existing Raptor, not something else entirely.

If your more of a visual guy, there you go:
Raptors vs Bison/Ox/Cow
Old 09-12-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I bought an 08 brand new.
I really liked it, until the time came to put a carseat in it.

My overall opinion of them is they are overpriced. They're too close in price to a half ton.
Chevy needs to bring back the s10, a small truck at a small price.
I agree with you. If you compare pound/pound, capacity/capacity, dollerwise, I feel the full size trucks will comes out ahead. I feel part of the big appeal for these is for people who want the utility a truck offers, but don't want a big truck. Quarter tonnes fit in the garage easier, easier to park, easier to drive in the cities, etc.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:54 PM

Here's the thing. The Colorado ZR2 is out now, the Ranger Raptor will be a little while yet. Although it's $47-50K sticker is steep, it still undercuts the Tacoma TRD Pro - its direct competitor - by $3-5K. I have a very hard time believing the baby Raptor will come in less than $50K. I believe they are priced about right. As others have pointed out, yes, you can buy a mid-range full-size for that price, however, you will not even come close to the off road capability of the ZR2, ZR2 Bison, or the Raptor. It all comes down to why are you buying a truck. For the money, dollar for dollar, if you don't need the towing, or the space, or the rear seating, and you actually want to be able to park comfortably in your garage, why not get the TOP end Colorado and stand out vs a plain old Joe Everyman F150 or Silverado. Just my $.02

Last edited by 10aciousB; 09-12-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: quoted wrong comment
Old 09-12-2018, 05:37 PM

I took a Colorado out for a test drive and it had no power .
The new diesel might have more power.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
A midsize pickup meant to be a Raptor killer.

Uh huh. Good luck with that Chevy.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I go by what I read https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/...rado-zr2-bison
The full size Raptor has it's size and horsepower going for it, but both the Ranger Raptor and the ZR2 Bison are meant to be it's midsize counterparts.

If they can match the suspension. Which is doubtful in a small truck while still keeping it semi affordable.

Toyota will still kill them on the reliability factor, bang for the buck, and depreciation rates. GM hasn't figured it out in 45 years and doubtful they will anytime soon. They'll bring theirs out just slightly lower in cost than the Toyota to grab $$ off folks who fall for the spiel that it does everything better.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Toyota will still kill them on the reliability factor....
It would seem modern Chevy's are more reliable than current Toyota's.

Link
Old 09-13-2018, 02:00 AM

Default Vehicles

Chevy reliablility....all I have to say is Chevy Equinox, and after reading about that horror story, a person would never buy Chevy again.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
It would seem modern Chevy's are more reliable than current Toyota's.

Link

Uh huh. And Honda Accords too. Laughable.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I took a Colorado out for a test drive and it had no power .
The new diesel might have more power.
The Diesel is slower, but is a torque monster. I drove the Colorado's twin, the Canyon in gas, and I too found the power underwhelming but adequate, and par for the class. That said, it's still head and shoulders above the Tacoma's Atkinson Cycle engine. On flat highway, in automatic trim, it couldn't even maintain highway speeds in top gear. Not arguing Toyota reliability or resale, but that Atkinson engine is garbage. Had it still had the 4.0L from the previous gen, I probably would have bought it. Maybe the OP should also check out the Frontier. Nissan's VQ40 V6 is the best gas engine in the class by a mile. If the OP doesn't care about the fated interior, he could probably get a smoking deal.