Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 03:41 PM

Default Calgary olympic bid (REALLY?)

o.k lets see if I have this straight

5.2 billion total 2.2 billion from us taxpayers

& we get to keep the oldest football stadium

& one of the oldest n.h.l. arena,s in Canada with upgrades of course

l.m.a.o. What a deal!

is pot legal already? you gotta be kidding me!

at least we get to vote!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post

l.m.a.o. What a deal!

at least we get to vote!
I'd have to guardedly disagree with you.

The facilities we have already could use upgrading.

Having those facilities, to begin with, has spurred interest and participation such that a number of world class competitors success can be traced directly back to having them. There have been many international events and much training held in Calgary and area because of those facilities, so the economic benefit is not a one time thing, but returns to some extent, year after year.

I think the biggest failure of the 88 olympics was the athlete housing which was hastily and flimsily built.

I think that if Calgary were to have to build facilities from the ground up, I'd be against the bid, but as the facilities already exist and are well used, I think the bid should go ahead.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
...& one of the oldest n.h.l. arena,s in Canada with upgrades of course!
I'm not sure which article you were looking at, but the relative TSN article states:

"Still to be determined: The curling venue's location and whether a new NHL-sized arena will be incorporated into the plan"

I don't give most politicians to much credit, but I can't believe council, in conjunction with Flames ownership, would let an opportunity like this to get a new rink pass them by.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Has city council ever come out with where they are going to get the funds that are not being covered by other levels of government from? I’m betting that Calgary could use that money in other areas and improve the services they provide vs the Olympics. I’m totally against hosting the Olympics, just a waste!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Has city council ever come out with where they are going to get the funds that are not being covered by other levels of government from? I’m betting that Calgary could use that money in other areas and improve the services they provide vs the Olympics. I’m totally against hosting the Olympics, just a waste!
Can't they just divert their art budget for a year or two? Sure that would cover it (and yes, I'm being sarcastic regarding how much is wasted on item of much less importance in my opinion than the Olympics).
Old 09-12-2018, 05:07 PM

Snow removal in the city is a joke, yet Nenshi says, well 2% tax increase on property taxes will fix that, yet flush full of our money for this to be done in two provinces?

Downtown Calgary at 28.7% vacancy, you can see through the buildings, how many vacant floors that are not occupied, unbelievable. Keep raising taxes like always and spend like fools is the motto.

I was at a luncheon and Nenshi was a guest speaker, he was giddy like a kid when the Olympics were brought up. After that luncheon, in my opinion like others at the event, it's all about his legacy that's it that's all.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:

l.m.a.o. What a deal!

at least we get to vote!

Exactly ORV. All they talk about is how we are a world class city, yet we have old outdated facilities that are run down. Put some art on it and good to go is the motto.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:

l.m.a.o. What a deal!

at least we get to vote!

Just wondering who puts up the 3 Billion difference ??? private business? I think not..it is you and me, only one tax payer.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:14 PM
Banned

I'm not interested in the lining the pockets of corrupt globalist's to host their diversity party at our expense.

Where does the Olympic money even go?

Who actually benefits from it?

What's next? FIFA?...HAHAHAHA

They should host the winter Olympics in Dubai!
Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Can't they just divert their art budget for a year or two? Sure that would cover it (and yes, I'm being sarcastic regarding how much is wasted on item of much less importance in my opinion than the Olympics).
Oh they can just sell that nice circle off deerfoot , that should cover some of the short fall.

I hear the city is having a plebiscite about the Olympic issue, what about the out of towners? I don't want my provincial tax money to go to that or even my federal tax money, supporting the imaginary pipeline with my tax money is bad enough.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
I'd have to guardedly disagree with you.

The facilities we have already could use upgrading.

Having those facilities, to begin with, has spurred interest and participation such that a number of world class competitors success can be traced directly back to having them. There have been many international events and much training held in Calgary and area because of those facilities, so the economic benefit is not a one time thing, but returns to some extent, year after year.

I think the biggest failure of the 88 olympics was the athlete housing which was hastily and flimsily built.

I think that if Calgary were to have to build facilities from the ground up, I'd be against the bid, but as the facilities already exist and are well used, I think the bid should go ahead.
2x... just imagine what a boost to the local economy this would be.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
I'm not interested in the lining the pockets of corrupt globalist's to host their diversity party at our expense.

Where does the Olympic money even go?

Who actually benefits from it?

What's next? FIFA?...HAHAHAHA

They should host the winter Olympics in Dubai!

Exactly. More diversity virtue signalling silliness that is overvalued by several orders of magnitude. Pass.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinerfisher View Post
Exactly ORV. All they talk about is how we are a world class city, yet we have old outdated facilities that are run down. Put some art on it and good to go is the motto.
If having a pretty hockey arena is the main criteria for being a “wild class” city then I’m just fine without that “accolade” thank you very much.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Just wondering who puts up the 3 Billion difference ??? private business? I think not..it is you and me, only one tax payer.
No, it's not. A single example, the IOC has earmarked $1.2B to the 2026 host city.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Just wondering who puts up the 3 Billion difference ???
Just look at cities hosting previous Olympics or FIFA events and you have your answer.
Cost overruns, no tourism boom as promised and decades of paying off the debt for events after the circus left.
Like spinerfisher pointed out, just what Calgary needs...
Old 09-12-2018, 08:23 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...heck-1.4819731
Old 09-12-2018, 09:02 PM

I for one think it would be pretty awesome if I got the chance to see the Olympics roll through Calgary. I'm sure my kids would too.

If we got a new standium as part of the deal, even better.

Don't be a bunch of Scrooge's...come on where's your Olympic spirit...???

Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Well the Gov't did just spend 4.5 BILLION$$ on a pipeline they cant use so whats another 3 Billion$$ for the Olympics....
Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
Just look at cities hosting previous Olympics or FIFA events and you have your answer.
Cost overruns, no tourism boom as promised and decades of paying off the debt for events after the circus left.
Like spinerfisher pointed out, just what Calgary needs...
Look up Rio 2016 facilities in ruin....Calgary winter olympics is not comparable but look at these million dollar facilities not used and absolutely destroyed...

All Canadian tax payers will be on the hook for 14 days of Nenshi,s glory for generations...

We need pipelines built, not ****ty games run by the corrupt IOC.....
Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 PM

Not hating the Olympics at all, just wish committees, politicians etc. would be more honest and transparent in regards to costs so that people can decide if the fun is worth it in the long run.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Look up Rio 2016 facilities in ruin....Calgary winter olympics is not comparable but look at these million dollar facilities not used and absolutely destroyed...

All Canadian tax payers will be on the hook for 14 days of Nenshi,s glory for generations...

We need pipelines built, not ****ty games run by the corrupt IOC.....

Yep, the liberal purple princes legacy.
Easy solution. Have a vote. Those that vote yay....increase in taxes. Those not in favour....well you get the picture
Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
2x... just imagine what a boost to the local economy this would be.
Studies have indicated that the economy benefits are usually over stated and not as long lasting as presented by pro Olympic supporters.

We do know that 100% of municipal, provincial and federal tax payers will be burdened. Any idea what percentage of those same people will receive this highly touted economic boost? My guess is that it's a very small number.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:34 PM

Don’t forget to add another billion or two for cost overruns. If you say it fast doesn’t seem like much!
Old 09-12-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Yep, the liberal purple princes legacy.
Easy solution. Have a vote. Those that vote yay....increase in taxes. Those not in favour....well you get the picture
Smartest comment on the thread.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
Not hating the Olympics at all, just wish committees, politicians etc. would be more honest and transparent in regards to costs so that people can decide if the fun is worth it in the long run.
^ THIS X2

I was fortunate enough to attend the 88 Winter Olympics in Calgary..OUTSTANDING job done there
My concerns with the new bid is the freeking security required to run these events.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:00 AM

To me the Olympics are a frivolous showboat. So many things we could put the money into that need done. Schools, healthcare, roads etc, etc. We can't pay our bills, always in deficit and debt, so what do we do, go on a spending spree on more luxuries we can't afford in order to show off our 'wealth' to the world. Kinda reminds me of my banker friend who tells me of the families who are behind on their mortgages, car payments, taxes, credit cards, etc yet they will come into the bank to ask to borrow more money so they can take a vacation or buy a new boat.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:

l.m.a.o. What a deal!

at least we get to vote!
I agree with the vote however the vote is in November and guess where the clear thinking snow bird voters are; in Florida, Arizona etc.

I was here for the 88 games and for a local tax payer it was two years of horrible traffic tie-ups and what happened in the end, very little. Crowchild Tr is still a mess, Memorial Drive is still a mess, McMahon stadium is still the same, Father David Bauer is still the same, downtown Calgary is dead and so is the parking.....etc.

What is not the same is our current high debt load, poor and declining economic status in our municipal, provincial and federal footprint.... If Notley and her NDP crew had not screwed up so bad, maybe I would rethink the games...

The games will make one Calgary Flame billionaire very happy with his new arena...

Oh yes we have a crumbling Peace Bridge, all the poor art around the city (not including the millions of $$ on the art in storage) like the Paskapoo Mining Disaster Memorial mess on Hwy 1 coming into the city, a panda bear enclosure, still no clear plan for snow removal....My point is; wasted money......

I don't play or watch hockey (since the NHL strike), ski, curl, bobsled....where is the benefit for me....the benefit is for the elite athlete only....
Oh yes, I will be paying dearly for a long time along with my kids and grand kids.....and the city Alderperson(s) and current mayor, will be long gone.....

If Canada wants the games, then spread it out so all Canadians can enjoy paying and watching. Utilize all the NHL arena's and Nordic venues across Canada....it is only airfare

I vote a resounding NO for the 2026 games.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by admin; 09-13-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:

X 2 well stated....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by admin; 09-13-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
X20... the truth is out there, just don't let it get in the way of the cheer-leading that Nancy Spendshe does at every opportunity and every time a camera is stuck in his face.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:01 AM

While I don't know where the commitee is getting their numbers, to me $5.2B is a **** ton of money for basically two new buildings.

I'm torn on the issue.
I think re-using the existing facilities as much as possible is a great idea (Calgary/Banff are still considered a world class training/facility for winter sports), but where is that money going then?

88' olympics was the only olympics to "make" money, I feel we could easily do the same thing this time around, but not with these idiots running it.

The tourism created from the olympics would bring a huge influx into canada which is great for our economy for many years following the games.

BUT.. Currently Calgary has a HUGE vacancy rate for office towers & condos. Why build a new athletes village? Why not convert a vacant office tower?

Quote:
.the benefit is for the elite athlete only
I disagree with this.. It is no different than any other sport. Kid's idolize athletes, specifically when they see the person up close and personal. I've met many athletes who have started because they wanted to be in the olympics.

Case in point, Not sure if anyone saw McDavid giving that check on the news last night, but that kid has ZERO personality and is a ***** to kids. But they STILL idolize him. Smile?? What's that?

Quote:
If Canada wants the games, then spread it out so all Canadians can enjoy paying and watching. Utilize all the NHL arena's and Nordic venues across Canada....it is only airfare
umm. That is what they are doing.. Hence Whistler/CNC/Calgary. And FTR, there's nothing decent east of the prairies (kidding).