Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM

Default The Narrows at Buffalo Lake

Hi All,
Heading to Erskine this weekend for a family deal, I see the lake and Narrows open The 20th. Annyone know if the ice is off? Does it usually get pretty busy there on opening day? I can't bring the boat and will be shore fishing. Any input is appreciated. Fly fishing for pike --- FUN!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:54 PM

Ice is off the lake. Water is extremely high this year. With the fire bans on should not be too busy around there but space is usually limited over there. With the high water will probably be even worse. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 PM

Default Narrows

All i can recommend is, get there early for a spot and dont stay too long around dark as the Narrows can be a party spot for local school kids.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 PM

Great info, thanks.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfishin View Post
Hi All,
Heading to Erskine this weekend for a family deal, I see the lake and Narrows open The 20th. Annyone know if the ice is off? Does it usually get pretty busy there on opening day? I can't bring the boat and will be shore fishing. Any input is appreciated. Fly fishing for pike --- FUN!!!
lol r u the person who asked me at school today>?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 PM

oh ya it usaly is packed there. itd be somewhat better to get away from the crowd.
green zonkers and white wonkers are good there right along the shoreline.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
lol r u the person who asked me at school today>?
Thats the great thing about these forums - age is not shown, lol. No my friend I only wish I was back in school. I would have paid a little more attention, haha. Sounds like it can get pretty crowded quick, I have only been once before and it was late in the fall. Had the whole place to myself. With the high water should I bring waders - will they help access a little more fishing spots?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 PM

Default Buffalo Lake

It seems like everyone flocks to the narrows to catch some of the spawners in the spring. Has anyone tried other areas of the lake first thing in the spring? I've had luck at Rochon and Pelican during the summer and fall and was going to try here on the weekend. I'm also going to by flyfishing for pike for the first time, can't wait.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedFisher View Post
It seems like everyone flocks to the narrows to catch some of the spawners in the spring. Has anyone tried other areas of the lake first thing in the spring? I've had luck at Rochon and Pelican during the summer and fall and was going to try here on the weekend. I'm also going to by flyfishing for pike for the first time, can't wait.
Hi Jed,
Are you from the area? I would love to go somewhere a little less crowded, sounds like if the whether is nice up that way it could be a gong show. Is there access at Rochon Sands? Can I park and just start wading? How about Pelican - is that another campground or a seperate body of water? I don't know the area very well. Thanks Man!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfishin View Post
Thats the great thing about these forums - age is not shown, lol. No my friend I only wish I was back in school. I would have paid a little more attention, haha. Sounds like it can get pretty crowded quick, I have only been once before and it was late in the fall. Had the whole place to myself. With the high water should I bring waders - will they help access a little more fishing spots?
arlight sorry just cause someone else asked me the same question earler that day.
i dont think you would need wader....but the main thing is to avoid the crowds for biggerand more fish.
and try the main lake too but not much is in theree compared to the narrows.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 PM

Default Narrows

Looks like the weekend is bringing rain But ill be fishing anyways if you see me down there ill be in a silver gmc canyon stop by say hello.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:58 PM

Last spring right in the narrows boat launch was a 20 lber caught tons of hammer handles the further towards the bay up stream of the narrows holds thousands of 1-5 lbers last year the park attendants were renting canoes and kyaks that might happen again this year but i havent spoke to em in a while it can be really hit or miss aswell depending on temp of the water its really shallow compared to the main part of the lake avg depth of the narrows is roughly 1.5 m. Fish over 40 inches are not uncommon in the narrows but its also not as common as say wabamun.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Default narrow

Not a bad place to fish if you can go all the way in to the end of the campground at the very last spot it is really deep and holds some monsters
Old 05-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Default Narrows?

anybody make it to the narrows? how was the fishing
Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
anybody make it to the narrows? how was the fishing
Got there Sat. afternoon, wasn,t too busy considering. Had two rods fishing for 2hrs and no go. We came back after supper - 8pm and did much better. My Wife got three on the fly, awesome. 5 total in about an hour. One monster broke me off - I was fishing a Bleediing Perch fly and it hit so hard it scared me....two big head shakes and 10lb mono snapped. Water is high but I imagine it will only get better in the next few weeks.