Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 PM

Default Alberta needs to change pike

fishing size limit, like two hammer handles per person possession limit...Release the hogs
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 PM

X2 the anything over 5-6 pounds dosn't taste good anyway
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
fishing size limit, like two hammer handles per person possession limit...Release the hogs
The only fish I don't release are legally sized ones that will not survive if I do release em. Otherwise they all go back from my hook and line. I agree, in this day and age of taxidermy where you can have a replica done the whole "I only kept it to get it mounted" is moot. I think its cool to say I caught that fish on the wall and he is still out there!

Don't get me wrong if you want to keep legal fish go for it, I am all for a good fish feed every now and then. I just think a slot size is more appropriate to preserve the fisheries.

Lefty
Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 AM

More than just the pike needs to be changed. The minimum size limit destroys trophy fisheries. It's managed to provide a good quantity of fish. It may be good for stocked lakes, but for wild fish there should be a minimum and maximum size limit.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Yikes
Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 AM

There a lakes we go to where 200-300 pike in a day WAS normal, up to 2 years ago, and then we saw the ice nets.
Now it is try all day to get a decent pike.

Not just limits have to be changed.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 AM

x2. love the slot limit thing as well. get rid of the middle sized fish. works great in saskabush (tobin). keep talking about it and we can get it changed(calling lake walleye is a start). i would rather be able to go out and catch 2-3 big fish in a day rather than 50 of the same sized hammer handles
Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
x2. love the slot limit thing as well. get rid of the middle sized fish. works great in saskabush (tobin). keep talking about it and we can get it changed(calling lake walleye is a start). i would rather be able to go out and catch 2-3 big fish in a day rather than 50 of the same sized hammer handles
Hey Bard whens the last time you caught 2-3 fish in a day, let alone 40-50! I've seen how you fish
Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM

I would want both types of lakes, a lake I can take a kid to and catch 50 in a day and another where I can go and catch fewer but big.

But that would require individual lake rules.

I would also be happy to see a no kill of any pike over 30"-36".
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 AM

I see this thread quickly degrading into an "us" vs "them" debate but I would definitely support a slot limit, reduced limit, etc. type of conservation shift in how we manage pike in this province which would have to take a look at/ work with changes in netting practices as well.

Imagine managing & trying to prevent collapses instead of dealing with lakes after a collapse. Proactive management is a very refreshing concept!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Can our lakes support a slot limit regulation with the fishing pressure our lakes get? Would we maintain recruitment into the larger size classes overtime?

Caper is right though with his statement though.

Alberta is a unique situation, lots of fishing pressure, so few natural fish bearing lakes and a stocking program that is laughable at best unless it is a rainbow trout.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Default Stocking one sided

This province is so one sided on restocking, it's really starting to bug me! Seems like all they worry about is the poor Rainbow trout!!! What about establishing a decent Pike, Walleye and Perch population and put at least half their resources to look after three species instead of just one!

I know I'm going to get beat up on this from trout fisherman, but i would rather eat a nice sized Perch or Walleye than a muddy tasting trout anyday.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM

If your talking about stocking lakes that have natural self sustaining pike\walleye\perch we are taking too many fish from that system.

Most of the trout lakes I have seen would never support self sustaining populations due to one reason or another.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
I know I'm going to get beat up on this from trout fisherman, but i would rather eat a nice sized Perch or Walleye than a muddy tasting trout anyday.
I also prefer to eat pike over trout, I haven't tried any walleye yet. Every one I catch is 1/2 inch under the slot size. I like to keep a couple pike a year for a feed. That being said I prefer to fish for trout, but enjoy fishing both.

Talking about it doesn't get anything done.
Back in Nova Scotia we have a Recreational Fisheries Advisory Councel, RFAC. They have meetings twice a year in each managment area where individuals, groups and organizations can all get together with biologist, CO's and a few other members of the inland fisheries department to discuss the fishery. At these meetings the there can be proposals made for changes to regulations and such. Does Alberta have something similar?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:07 PM

i refuse to fish for trout
Old 05-24-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper28 View Post
....every one I catch is 1/2 inch under the slot size.

Talking about it doesn't get anything done.
Back in Nova Scotia we have a Recreational Fisheries Advisory Councel, RFAC. ..... Does Alberta have something similar?
First, every fish you catch is under the MINIMUM size limit (a slot would identify a min and max length - that is what is being suggested to try as there is no such regulation related to Pike in the province).

Second, there is a Fisheries "Round Table" in the province. It is likely that a member of your local Fish and Game Association is involved somehow. Get involved.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:43 PM

I think the answer is to triple the SRD budgets. My MLA know how I feel does yours???
Old 05-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Sask has 2 things being done that Alta isn't bothering with. #1 stocking alot of lakes with multiple species.#2 size limits are not killing all the females and leaving the smaller males.If you go to the meetings the biologists all talk that this doesn't matter, but drive across the border and suddenly theres good fishin.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 PM

We need slot limits on the fishermen.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The only fish I don't release are legally sized ones that will not survive if I do release em. Otherwise they all go back from my hook and line. I agree, in this day and age of taxidermy where you can have a replica done the whole "I only kept it to get it mounted" is moot. I think its cool to say I caught that fish on the wall and he is still out there!

Don't get me wrong if you want to keep legal fish go for it, I am all for a good fish feed every now and then. I just think a slot size is more appropriate to preserve the fisheries.

Lefty
Speaking of which, How exactly do they make a replica? What do you need for information? Im guessing pictures, length, girth, weight, etc? I have caught few fish in the past that may have been worth stuffing, but I always throw them back. It would be nice to know what I need though if I ever get a really big one so I can throw him back to lurk another day.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
Speaking of which, How exactly do they make a replica? What do you need for information? Im guessing pictures, length, girth, weight, etc? I have caught few fish in the past that may have been worth stuffing, but I always throw them back. It would be nice to know what I need though if I ever get a really big one so I can throw him back to lurk another day.

Basically just need a length and girth and maybe a couple good pics to help the taxiguy with the painting. The repro is usually going to be approximate anyhow, maybe wothin an inch either way
Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
The more the better. You need length and girth and apparently for pike they will ask you if it was a male or female if you know. The males are slimmer in general than the females. The good taxi's will try to reproduce fin patterns, color variations, etc on a replica if they have adequate shots to do so. The good thing about a replica is they last longer, are more durable, and the best part is you don't have to kill the fish.

Lefty
Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
U my friend, are missing tr.....................OUT!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
U my friend, are missing tr.....................OUT!
I agree. I dont like eating them but i like fishing for them
Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
First, every fish you catch is under the MINIMUM size limit (a slot would identify a min and max length - that is what is being suggested to try as there is no such regulation related to Pike in the province).

Second, there is a Fisheries "Round Table" in the province. It is likely that a member of your local Fish and Game Association is involved somehow. Get involved.
First, don't know what your getting at with the first quote. I was the one that suggested the min and max slot limit.

Second, I am a member of the local club. Was just asking if the average fisherman or fisherwoman can attend these meetings.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
We need slot limits on the fishermen.
thats what i would like so theres small and big pike
Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
Why ?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM

what kind of fishing would a lake produce if they put a zero limit on it like wab. but stagger the lakes that have a zero limit so say a lake is open for a year n closed for 3 and they switch off every year!!!! so what if you have to drive an extra 45 - an hour to catch a fish to keep!!! it would be worth it cause you would be catching quality fish?!?! n going out to a different lake to practice you skills cant call yourself a good fisherman if you fish the same lake your whole life!!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-slaughter View Post
what kind of fishing would a lake produce if they put a zero limit on it like wab. but stagger the lakes that have a zero limit so say a lake is open for a year n closed for 3 and they switch off every year!!!! so what if you have to drive an extra 45 - an hour to catch a fish to keep!!! it would be worth it cause you would be catching quality fish?!?! n going out to a different lake to practice you skills cant call yourself a good fisherman if you fish the same lake your whole life!!!!
Its a good theory but the pressure on the open lakes would be crazy for the years they were open as "keeper" lakes......possibly allowing them to get fished out. No easy answer to this problem.....probably why fisheries keeps doing the same old same old in Alberta.....cause they really don't know how to fix it.

Lefty
Old 05-24-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
thats what i would like so theres small and big pike
Then you mean slot limits on the fish.

I suggested slot limits on the fishermen.