Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 02:59 PM

Default Line for sale

Fairly close to Edmonton and doesn't have much for timber of oil work on it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-real-es...ationFlag=true
Old 03-14-2016, 03:48 PM

man i wish . . .
Old 03-14-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAShooter View Post
man i wish . . .
Keep saving, that's what I'm doing. Hammer on the coyotes while prices are good and you'll have a line one day.

The three years as a junior may be more difficult to obtain though if what Martinnordegg said is true.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Keep saving, that's what I'm doing. Hammer on the coyotes while prices are good and you'll have a line one day.

The three years as a junior may be more difficult to obtain though if what Martinnordegg said is true.
With the right deal I may be swayed to help out on that....
I found out tonight the deal didnt go through with my neighbors line. Maybe with the economy the guy bailed last min. who knows.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:52 PM

How big is that cabin you want nube? How long did it take to build the one this summer?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:58 PM

I got no plans for a couple years to build another one. Got to finish the siding and overhang on the one I built last year. Build the inside as well with some bunks and a few things. Want to build a wood shed onto the back of it as well. Should keep me busy
Old 03-14-2016, 10:00 PM

One cabin is enough to keep anybody busy never mind multiple cabins. Good luck nube.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 AM

TFNG, my guess is the junior on a line would not be necessary to get RFMA. If a person had Resident license for a number of years with good fur numbers the committee would give strong consideration to that as equivalent trapping experience.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
TFNG, my guess is the junior on a line would not be necessary to get RFMA. If a person had Resident license for a number of years with good fur numbers the committee would give strong consideration to that as equivalent trapping experience.
That would be good Big Grey Wolf. My numbers have been decent I think, especially this year with a good number of beaver as well.

Edit- What kind of goals should I make on beaver, muskrat, coyote to be considered serious about it?

I'm at 90 coyotes, 24 beaver and 20 muskrats for the year so that would be reasonable I think?

Sorry for the derail nube.

Last edited by Tfng; 03-15-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 AM

Not mandatory yet, but the 3 year junior will soon be. I don't think resident trapping will be considered in that case (it is quite a different animal). 75k....wow that's a lot of cake for that line! Would take 20 years to even come close to paying for it with fur from the line. Very nice area though, lots of Fur! Would be one of my first choices in the province for a line, Manning area being number 1.

Spruce
Old 03-15-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Not mandatory yet, but the 3 year junior will soon be. I don't think resident trapping will be considered in that case (it is quite a different animal). 75k....wow that's a lot of cake for that line! Would take 20 years to even come close to paying for it with fur from the line. Very nice area though, lots of Fur! Would be one of my first choices in the province for a line, Manning area being number 1.

Spruce
Not many lines for sale out there you could pay for them with your fur catch.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:39 AM

Well that widetrack is worth 10G but I guess it's still a pretty small line @ 1 township.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

Spruce
It is mandatory in the Rocky/Sundre area. Just went through a transfer in October. There were a few others in transition. A couple of them were refused due to the experience requirements. (outlined before).

I was told this is a Province wide requirement.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:27 PM

Purchased one last year with never being a Junior so unless it's changed from then you should be good to go TFNG
Old 03-15-2016, 03:40 PM

I was never questioned on mine 2 years ago but they saw all my numbers from previous years to know I was serious about it. I would think the numbers you got TFNG that it would show you are serious. How many years out do you think you are till you start looking for a line?

Spruce what do you figure is a fair price for a line? To me it doesn't matter as long as they hold value. If it costs 100K so be it but when I sell it it better be worth that much as well.
I think if you were to look at any purchase of a trapline and how long it will take to pay it off in most cases it won't make good business sense.

I still here of the odd one for sale for cheap, like 25 K but not sure how good they are. Most I see are 50K plus.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Purchased one last year with never being a Junior so unless it's changed from then you should be good to go TFNG
I'm still saving pikeslayer22, hopefully it will come true for me. I'm not against being a junior for a while and would actually prefer it but it takes a big line to have two active trappers.

It sounds like it really depends on which office you're dealing with.

I think I'm 3-5 years out nube, depending on price. If I could buy a line for 25k that was worth trapping I could make it happen sooner.

Things should really start coming together for me financially over the next few years and I'll be able to save significantly more yearly.

Last edited by Tfng; 03-15-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:50 PM

I know of one for sale around that price I heard about last week. Not sure if its a good one or not or any details. It is near wildwood area. If the guy doesn't buy it that I know I will let you know
Old 03-15-2016, 03:54 PM

I plunked wildwood into my imaps and it said basically Calgary. I'm sure that's not where you mean. Where is Wildwood?
Old 03-15-2016, 04:18 PM

Out by chip lake maybe. I'll see if I can get more info
Old 03-15-2016, 04:21 PM

Wildwood is NE of Edmonton in the Chip Lake area.

A line is worth the cabin (s) equipment it comes with...that's it (in the crown's eyes). For us, cabin (s), equipment, maybe a few years worth of fur. The price of lines will come down, with mandatory trapping to be required in the not to distant future, the "googin" trappers will lose their lines. When this comes to fruition, the market will be flooded with lines, as most are just camping spots right now, or not used at all. IMO.

So this line for instance, cabin + sled + gear....25k being VERY generous. that leaves 50K on the table.

Believe me when I say this, ESRD wants the high prices gone, this leads to disposable income weekend users getting lines and the real trappers being left out.

Spruce
Old 03-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Out by chip lake maybe. I'll see if I can get more info
Sorry I meant Windfall area which I think is out by Whitecourt somewhere
Old 03-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I plunked wildwood into my imaps and it said basically Calgary. I'm sure that's not where you mean. Where is Wildwood?
West of Edmonton on Hwy 16 around Chip Lake.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-15-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:

A line is worth the cabin (s) equipment it comes with...that's it (in the crown's eyes). For us, cabin (s), equipment, maybe a few years worth of fur. The price of lines will come down, with mandatory trapping to be required in the not to distant future, the "googin" trappers will lose their lines. When this comes to fruition, the market will be flooded with lines, as most are just camping spots right now, or not used at all. IMO.

So this line for instance, cabin + sled + gear....25k being VERY generous. that leaves 50K on the table.

Believe me when I say this, ESRD wants the high prices gone, this leads to disposable income weekend users getting lines and the real trappers being left out.

Spruce
I get what your saying but I really think you will be surprised and the good lines will still be worth the money they are selling for these days. Time will tell i guess
Old 03-15-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Spruce

Unfortunately the idea of mandatory trapping requirements and minimum fur quotas has been talked about for years and will be for years to come. If they were to implement such requirements think of how many first nations owned lines would be taken back by the government due to lack of trapping. There are numerous first nations owned lines around mine that haven't been trapped for years and are handed down from generation to generation. Do you honestly think the government would take traplines away from first nations who don't trap them? Not in my lifetime! In fact, any transfer of these lines must go through the band looking after the area. Can't take them away from one group of trappers and not the other! This is a can of worms the government will never open! IMHO anyway.....

BTW...I applaud those first nations trappers who actually trap their RFMA's and continue with their traditional heritage. I have learnt a lot from talking with them over the years. Amazing amount of knowledge held by the trappers and their elders regarding the land!

Last edited by uke hunter; 03-15-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Spruce
Be nice if it actually happened Larry I wouldn't hold my breath its been talked about for many years.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

Spruce
I agree that you were VERY generous with your guesstimate. Pretty expensive "cabin?" and sled IMO.

Selling traplines for the actual value of the assets is a great idea however it will be very difficult to legislate and not feasible IMO. I can imagine a huge number of court cases from people that paid $100K and getting appraised and forced to sell for no more than $25K. If I were in government I wouldn't want to go anywhere near the issue. I'd be curious to hear what the plan is though.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:53 PM

The wildcard here might be an NDP government?

Spruce I agree and hope you're right. It would make it possible to buy a couple of these one township lines and make a real go of it. How long does a guy wait though? I'd hate to be the guy in twenty years still wishing I had bucked up and bought a line.

Resident trapping is great, convenient, cost efficient and profitable right now. Also there's no cost of purchasing a line. My first sets are twenty minutes from my door if I stop for coffee on the way out. I can leave after lunch and be home for supper. It lacks the solitude and true trapping experience in my mind though. It's almost too easy to cruise across the field in my pickup and collect coyotes out of snares. I could drive my pickup to within 50 yards of every beaver house I trapped this year. I did walk once but only because it was getting soft.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:01 PM

It happened to the commercial fishing.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Good point!
Old 03-15-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
But they aren't going to take traplines away from us, way too much history there and very healthy populations across the board.

And even if they ever tried to legislate set prices of lines people would get around it. As long as people want these lines, which they do obviously the prices will continue to rise.

If they ever said I could only sell my Kakwa line for 25K I would be fine with that. But the line would only be available to somebody that was willing to buy my lucky hat as well, and I want 125K for that thing