Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 PM

Question Bass Fishing At Skaha/Vasser

Just got back from fishing for Bass in Skaha and Vasser Lakes. About 13 hours on the water and one (1) lousy little Bass. Tried everywhere and everything...no luck. Nobody else either. The only explanation that I could come up with was the fact that the surface water temperature ranged from 49 to 51 F. That's cold for Bass! Any other explanations out there?
Went to Chilliwack and nailed a nice Sturgeon (about 5'). The Fraser was flooded with lots of debris floating downstream. Neat to see Sturgeon jumping out of the water. Strange behavior for a bottom feeder.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM

I caught bass in invermere starting around mid april and the water temp was around 46 - 52 depending on the day.

Typically, the reason why bass is so challenging is that they are always biting. The fact you weren't getting them just means they were up to something.

Generally around this time of year i would expect the fish to start bunching up at their most common spawning areas. If you find one you can possibly find much more. Gotta be looking into the water and scoping out and visual signs.

I never fished skaha or vasser around this time of year but i would imagine that warming trends in the water will predominantly lead you to some action. The only thing that you need to focus in on is visually locating them... they will be bunching up.

try inveremere for a quick fix. Theres a handful of spots very close to the launch that produce upwards of 20 fish in one area and you will see them come out of the woodwork.