Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-09-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm360 View Post
I know it was mention about scoring if you miss or wound you are deducted points, not sure this is a good thing I know to make an unethical shot when hunting will result in this but when we hunt 90 % of us use a range finder... so unless you plan on letting range finders to be used any deduction would be unethical IMO
This class will likely be run along other classes at the same shoots....in the interest of fair play I believe Binos will be allowed but range finders will not, also the maximum distance might be limited.

There was a rangefinder class created that ran for 2-3 years that had little to no participation.

The way I understand.... a miss will have no deductions, but also no score. A wound will have a deduction. So therefore if the shooter is uncomfortable with a shot...they can take a pass vs. risking a wound. In a hunting situation I have had to pass many times on game because a shot was not possible, this mirrors that situation.

This class is being developed to offer an option where a void was created and the ultimate goal is to increase the number of participants at shoots...we are at risk of losing some shoots if numbers do not increase. The hope is this fun/semi-competitive class will get people out to shoot
Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM

no problem I just thought I would put it out there I will still partake in this class...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
no problem I just thought I would put it out there I will still partake in this class...
No Sweat! Input is appreciated, things are not set in stone.

LC
Old 04-09-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Awesome with the paretake!...

The rangefinder rule was well/is well discussed...The shot scenario of the course would be "A shot that was in ethical and effective range where time didnt allow use of a rangefinder" ...we all have been there!

This allows shooters to hone their range skills as bowhunters...also not everyone can afford rangefinders and shots will be realistic with most being within the 40 yard range...

Neil
Old 04-09-2015, 05:46 PM

Great news kris. This is definitely a step in the right direction to bring more archers out to a shoot. This is definitely going to liven up the shoot and get people together to have a good time and not stress over who's in the x and who's not.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:21 PM

Hunting class should have the option of using a rangefinder, i would guess that 95percent of the bowhunters hunt with a range finder. Using one during a shoot allows for ideal practice with the range finder. I don't even think it would make a huge difference in individual scores, on a 3d course with reasonable distances and kill zones verses 10 spot scoring zones. I don't think bowhunters practice properly with their rangefinders. Example :sight in bow to the rangefinder, head out hunting, range a deer at 30 yards, shoot using 30 yard pin and miss low. Small branch with leaves at 30 the deer was at 50. Most bowhunters do not practice with their rangefinder under hunting conditions, a 3 d shoot is the best place to become proficient with one. I would be more likely to attend a shoot that allowed me to use a rangefinder and less likely to attend shoots that don't allow rangefinders.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
Hunting class should have the option of using a rangefinder, i would guess that 95percent of the bowhunters hunt with a range finder. Using one during a shoot allows for ideal practice with the range finder. I don't even think it would make a huge difference in individual scores, on a 3d course with reasonable distances and kill zones verses 10 spot scoring zones. I don't think bowhunters practice properly with their rangefinders. Example :sight in bow to the rangefinder, head out hunting, range a deer at 30 yards, shoot using 30 yard pin and miss low. Small branch with leaves at 30 the deer was at 50. Most bowhunters do not practice with their rangefinder under hunting conditions, a 3 d shoot is the best place to become proficient with one. I would be more likely to attend a shoot that allowed me to use a rangefinder and less likely to attend shoots that don't allow rangefinders.
Personally....I don't think people practice enough without rangefinders or at "less than perfect distances" (ie. 20-30-40 vs. 17-27-44). How many folks practice at only "while" distances and do not know how their arrow behaves at inbetween yardages?

There are several folks helping to develope/administrate this and the use of rangefinders will likely go to a vote. Likely this class will run alongside other classes so in the interest of "fair play" for all, I can see saying no rangefinders at all versus only the "hunter" class shooters can have them....and don't tell anyone else how far things are.

Again final details are not known and thank you for your thoughts! That's the purpose of this thread to gauge interest and potential participation levels.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-09-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Personally....I don't think people practice enough without rangefinders or at "less than perfect distances" (ie. 20-30-40 vs. 17-27-44). How many folks practice at only "while" distances and do not know how their arrow behaves at inbetween yardages?

There are several folks helping to develope/administrate this and the use of rangefinders will likely go to a vote. Likely this class will run alongside other classes so in the interest of "fair play" for all, I can see saying no rangefinders at all versus only the "hunter" class shooters can have them....and don't tell anyone else how far things are.

Again final details are not known and thank you for your thoughts! That's the purpose of this thread to gauge interest and potential participation levels.

LC
At this years 3d meeting, the purpose of the hunting class was to develop a class,that would encourage more participation at shoots, from new archers and existing bowhunters. There is a lot of different reasons why individuals are choosing not to come or only attending 1 or 2 shoots then not return. I think the 3 main reasons are; money, intimidation, experience was not fun. We can't do anything about individuals finances, that leaves the intimidation factor and improving the fun ratio. A class that covers the average bowhunters equipment, focusing on fun not competion. I like most of the changes so far, but I foresee some issues, limiting shots to 40 yards, I like it for hunting class but I don't think the other class will. I still think the average bowhunter would like to use their rangefinder( less intimidating and maybe saves a few dollars on arrows. I understand the concern about range finder users telling other groups the distances, but will both groups be happy and having fun on a 40 yard course, won't you need to some how separate the groups for that. I realize that would create extra work but think the fun ratio for both groups goes up. I have been involved with out door archery shoots for over 30 years, and I appreciate all the work and input everyone is contributing to this change, it would be great to see attendance improve. More people to enjoy this great sport with. Sorry that this is long winded but I think it is a mistake to rule out rangefinders. I know that participation was poor in the previous range finder class, but to get numbers up I believe we need to appeal to the new archers out there and let them use a range finder if they want to. Why have a rule that limits attendance, in what we are promoting as a fun based shoot.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:07 PM

Giving the "Hunter" the class to participate is the canvas....it is up to them to "make it or break it" by participating. So by simply bringing back the class we are providing more opportunity.

We aren't changing the other classes....40 yard max will apply to Hunter challenge class and the other classes will continue where they normally do. Multiple classes have always shot together, it is up to the shooting group to decide the order and if the near or far guys shoot first. MBO/MBR, youth, trad and PeeWee have shot together in groups previously.

What about the Hunter that can't afford the rangefinder? Then the playing field isn't even for everyone.

There are still decisions being made from where the class maybe included in club shoots to it being a completely separate Hunter only single shoot.

Personally IMHO the more shoots that the class is available and allowed to develope and get new folks out the better the final shoot can be.

No matter what the format there will be folks that won't be 100% behind it...that's ok, they just need to come out and do the shoot and share the feedback. I don't think that not having known yardages should prevent that, historically Hunter class has had 40 yard limitations other classes are 50 yards Max...think about it this way with 40 yard cap there is 10 yards that folks won't even have to worry about and a pin in their sight is eliminated making it easier.

Feedback is appreciated!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-10-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 PM

Those who belong to clubs and who want to see this "Hunter challenge class" succeed please let your voices be known to your club shoot organization team. In order for this to take off and be successful we will need participation from as many folks as possible. It would be great to have this class inserted into your local shoot. Class rules and scoring details are being finalized.

LC