Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
This is why I live on a 1/4....
Roger that.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Inconsiderate morons everywhere.
I’ll add an adjective to this statement.

Inconsiderate, Ignorant, moron.

It’s todays society. Sad really Everyman for himself!

BW
Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I have heard loud diesels running for quite awhile in the morning and yes, it has and does **** me off as well!
Aww, muffin.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Aww, muffin.
Nice.....You are one of them? You should be proud
Old 11-07-2017, 07:37 PM

I hate to stereotype but sounds like rednecks( Which I classify as my self), trailer park, barking dogs( no matter of the breed), 5 ft tall grass, garbage spewing, kids walking around in there diaper or underwear....and fence falling apart...Am I close or what?

Feeling a little harsh tonight
Old 11-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Nice.....You are one of them? You should be proud
My diesel is not very loud. You know what is loud, and wakes my kids up when they are sleeping? The dogs, that everybody In this day and age treats like their kids.

If I had my way pets would not be allowed in urban areas. Goes to show there is some give and take.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
My diesel is not very loud. You know what is loud, and wakes my kids up when they are sleeping? The dogs, that everybody In this day and age treats like their kids.

If I had my way pets would not be allowed in urban areas. Goes to show there is some give and take.
I agree....All my neighbors have dogs but am lucky they are pretty quiet ....
Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Or diesels.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:05 PM

These little sunflowers that can't come out of there warm house and get into a cold vehicle, so instead let it idle for a half hour and everyone on the street is forced to put up with it. Apparently there are a few in this thread even!!

Your vehicle warms up faster when you start it, and after a couple minute drive it!! Ignorant, arrogant, entitled... I could add way more words but they are all banned on this site.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Banned

This article states that excessive idling can actually harm a Diesel engine. I think that it explains things very well. Recommended idling time for -0 degree temperatures is approximately 7 minutes and it won’t get any warmer sitting there idling with no load (ie. driving). According to this article idling excessively is just shooting your self in the foot. So yeah, ignorance probably plays a large part of it.....lol.

http://www.dieselhub.com/tech/warm-up-cool-down.html
Old 11-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Good article HD. There are probably a lot of diesel trucks that show 150K km on them that probably have a half million km engine wear from idling excessively.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This article states that excessive idling can actually harm a Diesel engine. I think that it explains things very well. Recommended idling time for -0 degree temperatures is approximately 7 minutes and it won’t get any warmer sitting there idling with no load (ie. driving). According to this article idling excessively is just shooting your self in the foot. So yeah, ignorance probably plays a large part of it.....lol.

Ok, so what about -15 deg?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did you read the article? Seven minutes.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Banned

What about an ESPAR heater? Why spend all that $$ on chrome running boards and pool noodles instead of doing it right with an Espar? It's only $1000 bucks
Old 11-07-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
If you read the article, it clearly says that there is no benefit to idling longer than 7 minutes regardless of climate conditions. You need to drive it to warm it up to operating temp after that. Those 7 minutes are just to get the oil warmed up.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 PM

The artical talks about idling diesel motors not on high idle which is different is it not.

Our units run all day winter and most of the summer either on fast idle or running down the road.

Yes,,, every 200 to 250 hours they see the oil change, so nothing to worry about in the slugging department.
Wabasco and Pro Heat for our heavy hual side,,, nothing on the gravel trucks.

When it's -15c it's pretty hard to get them going the next morning. Ha.

Normally when we're up North we close up the winter fronts leaving a 9" to 10" opening in it for the air to air to breath,,, and flip up the one corner where the mass air flow senior is by the rad so it gets air flow.

Once our units are warmed up, they stay warm all night long on Government jobs across Canada.

50 years with next to nill for issues.
Coast to Coast across most of Canada's Northern Regions.

The coldest we've seen todate was about 14 or 18 years ago Between Alberta and Saskatchewan North of Ft Mac on oil sands exploration,,, -66 to -75c...
The longest winter we encountered was the Baffin Islands Gas discovery research program.

90 days of -40 to -55c with many days of brisk winds,,, all I can say is Burrrrrr. LOL.

The High idle switch wasn't invented yet, so we'd use the throttle cable or a cut of chunk of wood or screw driver to push down on the foot feed to keep those power units rev'ed up.

If the pistons were slapping the valve train the motors stayed warm. Ha.

Boy those were tuff power plants back then.
Folks sure worry about the carbon footprint of stinky diesel motors these days.

Good thing I didn't mention anything about the 3000 +++ scrap wood forest burns last year along the Eastern Slopes of Alberta last winter,,, whoops,,, did I just say that out loud. LOL.

Don at what ever it takes to keep industry running, boy winter sucks.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:36 PM
Banned

My neighbor runs straight pipes on his quality brand of vehicle and it does bother the other people around here that get woken up in the early morning to the BLAP—BAP—BAP! it doesn’t really bother us at all. Could care less really.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:50 PM

Didn't read the article just the posts here ... when I started driving truck it was beat into me that you never drive a cold diesel. It has to be warmed up, not to full operating temp but getting there. In -20 temps 7 minutes isn't going to do it. At -30, 40 or colder it doesn't get shut off unless it's being parked in a shop. Thankfully I live in the country and when I start my truck then go back in the house for toast and coffee nobody is bothered by my actions. If someone was - tough darts. It's my bill to fix and this is the way I operate it. Seven minutes won't hardly read on the temperature gauge. Anyone can have an opinion on how things should be done but I only have to be concerned about my own.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
The artical talks about idling diesel motors not on high idle which is different is it not.

Our units run all day winter and most of the summer either on fast idle or running down the road.

Yes,,, every 200 to 250 hours they see the oil change, so nothing to worry about in the slugging department.
Wabasco and Pro Heat for our heavy hual side,,, nothing on the gravel trucks.

When it's -15c it's pretty hard to get them going the next morning. Ha.

Normally when we're up North we close up the winter fronts leaving a 9" to 10" opening in it for the air to air to breath,,, and flip up the one corner where the mass air flow senior is by the rad so it gets air flow.

Once our units are warmed up, they stay warm all night long on Government jobs across Canada.

50 years with next to nill for issues.
Coast to Coast across most of Canada's Northern Regions.

The coldest we've seen todate was about 14 or 18 years ago Between Alberta and Saskatchewan North of Ft Mac on oil sands exploration,,, -66 to -75c...
The longest winter we encountered was the Baffin Islands Gas discovery research program.

90 days of -40 to -55c with many days of brisk winds,,, all I can say is Burrrrrr. LOL.

The High idle switch wasn't invented yet, so we'd use the throttle cable or a cut of chunk of wood or screw driver to push down on the foot feed to keep those power units rev'ed up.

If the pistons were slapping the valve train the motors stayed warm. Ha.

Boy those were tuff power plants back then.
Folks sure worry about the carbon footprint of stinky diesel motors these days.

Good thing I didn't mention anything about the 3000 +++ scrap wood forest burns last year along the Eastern Slopes of Alberta last winter,,, whoops,,, did I just say that out loud. LOL.

Don at what ever it takes to keep industry running, boy winter sucks.
Yeah Don, up north is special. Coldest I've seen is -72F, -118F with wind chill on the North Slope. Nothing works good at those temps. you never shut it off! We would mark the dipstick for a running hot level to check when getting fuel. Never use the park brakes below -35 ish either. Nothing worse than getting up in the morning and having to pound brake drums in -45 cause they froze on - before morning coffee! lol
Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I call BS. Pretty sure you need to blow at various intervals.
Dunno , I hope so
Old 11-08-2017, 12:05 AM

I have owned 4 diesels over the past 15 years. A 7.3, 6.4, 6.7 cummins and 6.7 powerstroke. Ran them all the same. Never any issues. Warmed up for at least half hour once colder then -10 or -15. Once colder then -25 They don't shut off till they are done for the day. -40 run till it warms up. Also idle for 15 min before shutting off after any towing. I live in the country with no nabours. Mechanic where I work says the worst thing for any motor is shutting down and starting.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you think that you need to idle it for 20 minutes to warm it up.
For my truck it is to defrost the windshield. If I don't let it warm up properly 5 mins into my drive during the winter I end up with the inside of my windshield fogging up so bad I have to pull over to let it defog. This is due to when the engine finally puts warm air into the cab it causes the windshield to fog up to the point of not being able to see out it.

For me it is a safety issue to high idle my truck when I start it in the morning.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Except weed is still illegal and people idling their trucks is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No it isn't, he has a medical allowance. It is however upsetting to her as she has children that she would rather not have constantly exposed. Like I said, you can be a dick but still not break laws.
People are then surprised when there are no idling laws placed.

Last edited by Scott h; 11-08-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
For my truck it is to defrost the windshield. If I don't let it warm up properly 5 mins into my drive during the winter I end up with the inside of my windshield fogging up so bad I have to pull over to let it defog. This is due to when the engine finally puts warm air into the cab it causes the windshield to fog up to the point of not being able to see out it.

For me it is a safety issue to high idle my truck when I start it in the morning.
Did you read the article that I posted? After a bit the engine won’t get any warmer when it’s just sitting idling. It won’t get any warmer unless you are driving it. It makes me wonder if a lot of people are leaving their trucks idling longer than they really need to. Just sayin......
Old 11-08-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
This summer when its going to be a real hot week get a dead pig hang it by your fence get a good fan and blow it his way.I told my neighbour if they ever come out and light a green one on their deck again to excpect this to happen to them.Guess what? never had a problem since that little chat

Why judge what somone does in their backyard?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:17 AM

Worked in Ft Mac at -65 !!! Nothing was shut off or it was done. A power seat and a snow scraper works great for high idle. Connect the pedal to the seat with the brush and move the seat forward till appropriate.Anyways I would just get used to the noisy diesel cuz it isnt bothering the guy running it and being an A-hole just makes it worse but thats up to you!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Did you read the article that I posted? After a bit the engine won’t get any warmer when it’s just sitting idling. It won’t get any warmer unless you are driving it. It makes me wonder if a lot of people are leaving their trucks idling longer than they really need to. Just sayin......
Ok, this is simply incorrect. If it is -15, idling my truck for 7 minutes is not going to bring warm air into the cab. And as ctd stated, my windshield also fogs up sometimes if I start driving without warm air blowing. So at -15, my truck is idling for no less than 10 minutes, probably more like 15, before the warm air starts flowing. And if you would look at the temperature gauges, you can be assured that oil/coolant temp continues to climb after 7 minutes of idling.

Judging by the logic employed in the article it is not worth my time to read it.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:40 AM
Banned

I sure am glad that I don’t have some of you guys for neighbors. I think most of the people I live around are generally pretty accepting of one and others minor annoyances. I’m guessing that I should have had the RCMP at my door a good 50 or 60 times in the time I’ve lived here and I’ve even got two officers that live in my neighbourhood. Everything from being totally wasted roaming around with open liquor to loud music pounding till 3:00am to ripping up and down the streets on my quad and this is a new neighbourhood not a trailer park. Never an issue....Light it up, crank it up, stomp on those straight pipes, frankly I don’t give a dam and I mind my own business
Old 11-08-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:

That's why there's elevated idle and high idle which puts it under load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Like I mentioned in my above post Dave,,, the artical only talks about idling diesel and not on high idle which is different is it not.

The artical all so does not state or support any information of what the motor does for temperature after its warmed up.

Example might be:
Truck starts off the day cold, then comes back.
Now that it is warm does the person shut it off knowing there are more tasks to do during the day, or start off cold once again.

Once the unit is up to temp, does it stay hot or warm.
Many folks are not aware of this but carbon diesel foot print is less that of gasoline from manufacturing, burn, and recycled back to the trees.
This of course is for another thread my friends.

Just like the author stated in his write up,,, much of this is still up for debate,,, unless I read it wrong.

Oh well, I'm sure the powers to be will sort this out in years to come.

Looks like my high idle heavy hual is just about ready to go,,, Naaaaa,,, I'll have another coffee before hitting the open road of glory.

Nothing like have our units toasty warm using high idle,,, plugged in block heater is good, warm cab is even better.

At least each owner gets to pick and choose what works since its their dime that supports their investments,,, hopefully more wrong than right.

Don