Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-31-2015, 01:45 PM

Default Trad bow vrs prairie dog in to frying pan, tips on cooking

So all the prairie doggys are out digging holes again, its one my most fav past times to shoot the little buggers, geting close is the name of my game 10-15 yards, ( yes trad bow no compound)
I do enjoy getting out to the back field once a day at lest and getting a few, but i feel like i wasted them last year by feeding to the dog, ( i shoot em she brings back to me then eats them )
SO i was wondering can they be eaten , i know u can eat any thing,
BUT the main question is, any good idea's on how to cook them up, whats best parts, just the little legs and deep fry them like pigon wings i enjoy or over a fire spited and slow roasted, maybe smoked or turned into little bits of jerky,

Any tips or idea's be awesome, do hate to waist good meat, ( even if the dog loves them )
please post tips or ideas
or tips on your prairie doggy bow set up.
mine is a 55 lb samik sage with aluminum arrows 2317 ( like aluminum takes a big beating hiting rocks etc ) with a bolt and a washer and a rubber O ring to take the impact when i miss and hit hard stuff, ( home made blunty )
Old 03-31-2015, 01:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Skin , and then cut the hind legs off. Brown in some oil in a pressure cooker, add some vegies and cook for 7-8 minutes. The meat will fall off the bones. thicken the broth with corn starch and pour the mix into a pie shell. Add Top crust and into the oven. Voila meat pie
No different than squirrel pie.

Of yeah the fleas may carry the plague.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM

I have eaten most everything that walks, slithers, swims, or flys in Alberta.... Gophers the little cannibals...[If we are talking about gophers and not the true prairie dogs] are at the bottom of that list for sure ...although Red Squirrel are awesome...

My recipe for gophers

- Bring large pot with two big hand size River rocks to a boil
- Add four cleaned and skinned gophers
- Add season to taste
- feed gophers to dog and eat rocks....

lol
Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 03-31-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
I have eaten most everything that walks, slithers, swims, or flys in Alberta.... Gophers the little cannibals...[If we are talking about gophers and not the true prairie dogs] are at the bottom of that list for sure ...although Red Squirrel are awesome...

My recipe for gophers

- Bring large pot with two big hand size River rocks to a boil
- Add four cleaned and skinned gophers
- Add season to taste
- feed gophers to dog and eat rocks....

lol
Neil
Sounds like a merganser recipe I know.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 PM

Default Goohers

A couple years ago I shot a bunch and didn't want to see them go to waste. I was thinking the same thing, why not eat these little buggers? So you know what it did? I didn't. But I might, I should really I'm sure they'll be good with some morels and cream, and little touch of thyme...if only I had the guts to try them I'm sure they'd be good.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
A couple years ago I shot a bunch and didn't want to see them go to waste. I was thinking the same thing, why not eat these little buggers? So you know what it did? I didn't. But I might, I should really I'm sure they'll be good with some morels and cream, and little touch of thyme...if only I had the guts to try them I'm sure they'd be good.
There are better uses of morels but that sounds tasty.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:58 PM

Yes you can eat anything, but that whole plague thing....

Disinfection
Y. pestis is susceptible to a number of disinfectants including 1% sodium hypochlorite, 70% ethanol, 2% glutaraldehyde, formaldehyde, and iodine–based and phenolic disinfectants. It can also be inactivated by moist heat (121° C for at least 15 min) or dry heat (160-170° C for at least 1 hour)

Treatment
Antibiotics are effective for the treatment of plague; in pneumonic plague, their efficacy is often limited if the symptoms have been present for more than 20 hours. Buboes are occasionally drained but usually resolve with antibiotic treatment. Antibiotic resistant strains seem to be rare, but have been isolated in Madagascar.

The bold part means you are probably going to die, even if the doctors figure out what's wrong (unlikely, given how rare gopher munching is)

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/plague.pdf

Read the whole article, and you will see why it's a really bad idea to eat or handle rodents unnecessarily. I know, we all grew up doing it and survived, but given the vast number of diseases that one could catch, it may be wise to think this through
Old 04-13-2015, 08:22 PM

I hope I don't get that hungry, but if need be I would use a tiger torch to cook mine