Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 AM

Default Easter Egg And Shed Hunting!!!

This past Easter long weekend was a perfect time to go looking for Easter eggs…If we found some antler sheds …bonus…
So I loaded up Miss Pickles my pup, and her pack…loaded four bottles of water, her folding dish, some snacks etc. into her pack and we snuck away for a couple hours..
I been training Miss Pickles with antler sheds since she was 5 ½ weeks old…this was going to be her big test…I call antlers “bone”

So we went to a bigger bush where I have a couple ladder stands for deer set up, loaded up our packs, took my bow for rabbits and asked Miss Pickles “ where’s yer bone” ?

Off she went zig zagging in a blurr…we didn’t get 75 yds from the truck and I could see her tossing the first shed around…it was just a small shed from a dink Mulie …but it was her first…so after big congrads we headed deeper into the bush…

After just about an hour of pushing hard bush I was hoping the first antler wasn’t just a fluke…then I saw her waiting for me with her chewing on a bone…it was a second find…an older shed, a couple years old but bigger, she had turned it over ....

After the big “Atta girl” she deserved a snack so I took off our packs, treated her to some spare ribs she was crazy about and a bottle of water.

I was very happy with her work , but we were just about half way across the bush so we pushed on… it wasn’t long and I could see her occupied in a small gully, she found another set of antler …this was from an young moose skeleton and all, not sure how it met its demise but a neat find…and she was doing her job very well...

As I inspected the area and bones she ran up over the little hill and disappeared, I called to her and she didn’t come to the call so I went to see what she was up too, she was busy with her nose to the ground, it was weird in this spot …moose hair all over, in the center of it a jaw bone …not moose, But this years deer…she was more interested in a patch of grass 15 yds away so I went over there…

She found a really nice fresh and good one….she got all kinds of loving for this one…these pics don’t do it justice…the pic below shows just how palmed this old Mulie buck is…I couldn’t get my hand around all the middle…

I was excited to find the other side, so I got her moving ..we circled the area and only 40 yards away in another direction, she found something again…when I got near I got pumped because I thought it was the other side…but on closer inspection I could see it was defiantly a last years shed…

One can see it is the same side...and different deer...both really good deer..and less than 100 yds from one of my stands…

I wanted to find now both right sides of these two sheds...however we have walked almost three miles of hard bush and had some family commitments that evening so we had to make our way back...it was a great day and we had a nice little haul...hunting sheds with a dog is so much easier….lol

Now we have something to look forward too next weekend…find the matching sides…I will happy with just that…Didn’t see a single rabbit or even sign…we used to bow hunt rabbits in this bush just a couple years ago and come home with a half doz…end of the cycle in this bush…But we did find some Easter Eggs….....but dang crows beat us to them…

Neil
Old 04-07-2015, 11:21 AM

sweet weekend and finds, beauty pup too!! congrats
Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 PM

That is cool. Wished our snow was gone here. That really has me thinking about getting a dog to help with finding antlers. A friend has a litter of baby labs right now and has my name on one of them. Just not 100% sure if I can commit enough to a dog right now. But seeing these pictures is getting me closer!
Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Banned

beautiful Pup
Old 04-08-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balli View Post
beautiful Pup
Thanks guys...yup she is still a pup...under five months yet, looking forward to working with her...

Neil