Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 11:04 PM

Default Helix fishfinders

Does anyone have experience with helix fish finders? i was looking into getting a 7 or 9 since they can also double as a flasher for the ice...but i guess my question is do you have to buy a different transducer? also im fishing off a kayak so will it still work if i dont want to mount it?
Old 06-21-2020, 12:57 AM

As long as you keep the transducer level under the water you can use the one it comes with for summer or winter. For winter you will find having a dedicated winter transducer will be much faster and convenient for moving hole to hole but it’s not a nesesity I guy can get away with the factory one mounted on a rod. I use the RAM transducer mount arm.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
As long as you keep the transducer level under the water you can use the one it comes with for summer or winter. For winter you will find having a dedicated winter transducer will be much faster and convenient for moving hole to hole but it’s not a nesesity I guy can get away with the factory one mounted on a rod. I use the RAM transducer mount arm.
thanks for your input! i looked around and apparently the helix 7 has an all season package? im seriously considering it...the suction cup portability is genius!
Old 06-21-2020, 06:36 AM

yup the suction cup is great for moving between boats , I always make a loop in the cord to the handle on my tin boat transom to make sure if it pops off it doesn't end up in the prop. ( hasn't happened yet ) but still paranoid it will. I have the helix 5 and its great summer and winter
Old 06-21-2020, 07:01 AM

Yes they work well. Get an ice ducer for winter just to make it easier. I made my own little mount inside a backpack much like the factory style and works great. Also keep in mind these useva lot of power at this size so if you are using the smaller batteries carry 2 of them or spend tte bucks and go lithium if you can.