Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Default Access to lakes East of Red Earth

Has anyone been East of Red Earth fishing this winter? I have heard that there is a lot of access opened up around Kidney Lake, Goose Grass, Gods lake, and even Vandersteen on account of the pipelining that is going on up there right now. Any help you could provide confirming this would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:50 AM

I talked to a fellow who hunts the Goose Grass lake area. They fished the lake but the only way in was still using a quad and sledding their equipment in. That last mile of muskeg hasn't improved one bit!! If you are going to fish it in the winter you would be wise to quad in or snowmobile in. Of course that means leaving your truck by itself and open to theft, etc.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
I talked to a fellow who hunts the Goose Grass lake area. They fished the lake but the only way in was still using a quad and sledding their equipment in. That last mile of muskeg hasn't improved one bit!! If you are going to fish it in the winter you would be wise to quad in or snowmobile in. Of course that means leaving your truck by itself and open to theft, etc.
There's no muskeg going into goosegrass. There is high grade road up past Trout Mnt tower which runs by the lake about a mile away. The trail into the lake used to be pretty crazy, but there has since been a lease road put in that runs almost right by the lake. There is only about 200-300yrds of poor trail left, and in the summer it can be crappy if it rains. Unless the guy you talked to came in on the other end of the lake, he must be referring to another lake in the area. I've stayed out on the lake in a holiday trailer in the winter, and my buddy pulled a 25' jet boat in there in the summer (not recommended...LOL).
Old 01-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Well, there you go! He never mentioned anything about a new road going past the lake. He must have been referring to the last 200 yards.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:48 PM

Thats quite possible, there isn't to much of the bad trail left, but in the summer after a rain, its pretty crazy. I liked it before the lease road was put in, but if it started to rain, you got the hell out of there, or you might be staying a few extra days. Last time I had my boat in there and was caught in the rain, we made it back to the main road, and the boat was almost upside down on the trailer...lol Thats what I get for telling him to get it out no matter what, I wasn't leaving it up there for the locals...
Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Do not leave your truck unattended any where up there.....
Theft is a huge problem...
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the heads up, everyone. Going to head over that way in a couple of weeks and poke around a little bit.

Hey, Harbercraftguy, what kind of boat you driving? I bought a 1875 extreme shallow with the j-max last summer. Have had a lot of fun with it.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM

Default Theft still going on

We used to camp between Graham and Peerless every maylong weekend 15 plus yrs ago, the locals would come through at 3:00am and take any gas, food and booze left out in the open and no one would hear a thing. Rcmp told us the next day if you want to keep it lock it up out of sight. Still amazed that they took our sausage and beer from the back of a truck which was still hooked up to the tent trailer and 4 guys sleeping in it. Burnt once and they never got us again and we made sure to tell whoever our neighbors were to lock it up.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 PM

1775 Extreme Duty...and lovin it.