Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 AM

Default IceGator weight

Because the weight is still quite a bit on the Gator, I tried something that worked well. I had some 14(I think it is) gauge wire that I attached clips to. The Gator has weird clips we don't have up here, so I changed them out with more common plug in clips. I have 50 ft or so of pos/neg wire put together that I hang on an S hook on my belt. I let out what I need and drill my holes. I leave the battery pack in the van, and walk out and drill, just like the old electrics. A bit of a pain having the wire out, but sure is a lot lighter, and the smaller wire doesn't seem to overheat, so is easy to work with. You might want to try something like this if, like me, the weight is a problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 AM

Not a bad idea dougie. Insted of putting the wire on that hook, why not spool it on a reel of some sort, then you could just drag it it to where ever you want your hole, and when your done, reel it back up all nice and neat. I would also look into going bigger with your wire, like bump up to a 10ga size, that way you should never have any issues. BTW, what auger bit are you running on your gator?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:19 PM

You were reading my mind, my friend.. Am in the middle of 'manufacturing' a system like you mention, and using 12 gauge wire, as I know it is going to be fine, and still not too hard to deal with. I am using the FinBore 3 blades, and they cut like heck, but in some ways, maybe too fast. The torque is unbelievable. When 'testing' this last trip, I averaged just over 7 seconds on 30 inch clear ice. I will get a lot of static about these stats, but have 5-6 guys that will verify this. A good blade that doesn't dig as fast would probably be easier on old folks like me.
BTW, I am not a fan of the reverse feature, as so far it just seems to put a lot more force on the back, and not sure I clean the holes out much better.
Hope this helps some.
Doug
Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 PM

I would agree with going with the 10 gauge especial if you want something 50' long as there will be a drop in power in a length that long.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM

The torque will be greater I think on something else, like my Mora. Plus you use your batteries up faster. I'm gonna upgrade to either a Fin-Bore or a lazer, the conection to the Mora sucks on their aluminum adaptor. The aluminum threads are almost pooched, and I had to drill a hole to pin the two together so if you use the reverse you don't lose the auger down the hole. Right now that pin is taking all the torque, and its starting to get sloppy.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Ok, did my first manufacture.. No pics yet, as I want to try a few other things. Have about 40 ft of each cable, 12 gauge(didn't have any 10 at home), and just left it on the original spool. Attached it to my belt so it would spin free and be able to retract it easily. That part worked OK, though it did leave a lot of wire out to look after. no problem with power, but for sure not as much as with the pack on the unit. Was nice not to drag the auger up and down though with that weight. I am just too old for that...haha
Don't use the reverse at all now, as it seems more of a pain than gain.
Did change out the connectors though so they are standard with what we have up here. Will let you all know of further changes as I make them...All suggestions are more than welcome of course.
Oh, only two small trout this AM..
Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 AM

I don't use the reverse on mine really either. I guess its a nice option to have, and it is unique, but it defenately wasn't a selling feature for me. Even Greg at IceGator couldn't believe I really didn't care if I had it or not. I guess its nice if your bit gets hung up at the end of the hole, but if you have a good bit it really shouldn't happen that often...