Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM

Default whites and the camera

someone just suggested to me that having a camera down hole could be detrimental to my success. this does make sence where they are usually skiddish. anybody have experience with this?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM

I found that whites are very skittish around cameras. That's when I decided to hang the camera inside the second hole just past the ice , pointing downward..it also gave me a little wider view, depending on depth
Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Default !!!

if ya wanna catch them, lose the thick, black cord and magnetic field.
if you wanna watch them swim by, have a blast with the cam!!!!!
our experience is that only on the crazy-good days will you NOT be hindered by having a cam in the water...whites, eyes, and trout especially.
pike try to eat the cam, burbs try to breed with it, and perch stared at the lens all day.
good luck. cheers, gw
Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 PM

wow. thanks guys. obviously i havent put much thought into this. makes complete sence. i will definatly try the cam at the top pointed downward. if im still not picking them up i will have to try no cam
Old 02-24-2010, 02:26 PM

Had the cam down the hole over the past two weekends. I found that the camera increased my success greatly. We caught quite a few whites and perch. In fact, I think without the camera we may have not hooked into as many. Those whitefish bite so fast before they spit it out. Without being able to see them I dont think we would have caught nearly as many.
I was also fishin for trout this past weekend and both the brookies and the rainbows didnt seem to mind the camera. They come in to take a look at it sometimes, which I think could help your overall success. They come look at the camera and see a flshy spoon and juicy worm....mmmmm...lunch.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Default Depends where u are.

Ive been out this year alot with my camera, practically every outing. I have seen alot of pike, perch, eyes, trouts and whites. The only thing i have noticed is where ur fishing. At gull i have never had a white swim within five feet of my camera... and while we where up north, a couple came within inches of it. I have found its is best to drop it as low as u can just so u can see ur hook on the top portion of the camera... sometimes ive even put the camera right on bottom, and when i do that the fish dont seem quite as skittish. I havent tried haning it vertically but i think i will try it. As well i have seen these advertised, often wondered how they would work.
http://setthehook.com/icefishing/reelweeds/
Bh1

Last edited by BH1; 02-24-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 PM

Well i don't fish for white, can't comment there. But I actually think the camera atracts most fish over, as long as the light is off if you're fishing walleye. My 2 cents.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:39 AM

Cabelas sells a weed look camera cable camo. At 15 bucks I think its a great idea.
P.S my fish tv died... Any good sales on marcum lcd's out there?