Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 PM

Default Really struggling lately

I normally do river fishing but I've been trying something new. I've been to spruce lake the last few days and can't catch anything. I've tried using spinners and spoons but got nothing. I even tried jigging to get walleye but again nothing. I'm worried I'm doing something wrong.

I've caught plenty of fish using weights and a double rig but I can't catch anything any other way.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 AM

Keep trying, don't give up.

It's times like you are in now when you discover something new!

When one thing works, we tend to stick with what's working, and not risk trying something new and not catch anything. Take the Fishing Geeks for example, their outside the box thinking has them discovering uncharted territory with them catching monster fish as a result!

What are the fish feeding on at this time of year?

Where are the fish at this time of year?

Key in on the answers to those questions and you will hook up.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

It could be the weather. Around here it hasn't exactly been great weather to catch fish. The fish may just not be in the mood to be caught.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It could be the weather. Around here it hasn't exactly been great weather to catch fish. The fish may just not be in the mood to be caught.
I throw my bait in the water as I was leaving and there was a huge bubbling as they ate everything. There was a bloke next to me who caught 3 in about an hour (not very big but still caught). It's starting to get frustrating as I know if I stick to what I know I can get fish but I really want to get something different (pike, trout, burbot and walleye)
Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by safcforever View Post
I normally do river fishing but I've been trying something new. I've been to spruce lake the last few days and can't catch anything. I've tried using spinners and spoons but got nothing. I even tried jigging to get walleye but again nothing. I'm worried I'm doing something wrong.

I've caught plenty of fish using weights and a double rig but I can't catch anything any other way.
Go get some cheap cleaned squid,, cut into desired legths and shapes and try it behind a spoon or fanangle a whole strip onto a leader and cast and retrieve like its a soft spoon,, bring some food dye that kids and Ukranian baba's colour easter eggs with, paint or dab the squid to look like a perch,, get as creative as possible. try a big streamer or even maggots,, years ago my dad caught a pike on a royal coachman,, oh, and try casting where you wouldn't normally cast. have fun be safe and report back with a 15,000 word essay.