Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Or you pay 10 and get the same job done or better than the guy charging 30!
Old 12-09-2018, 09:36 AM

I happen to be one of those guys paying way to much for skinning and can explain why.
I am paying 30% of what I make at auction.
First of all this is not a major custom guy but a friend who does amazing work that offered to skin for me.
I was only ever able to sell for $30 (avg) to local buyers buying dogs whole so when my friend offered a deal to put more money in both our pockets I jumped at the chance. Im sure if I looked around I could find a Skinner for less but I figure knowing I am getting top quality work from skinning to sewing is worth something.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Or you pay 10 and get the same job done or better than the guy charging 30!
Yup, it works both ways, but based on what I've seen that's not usually the case. There was a guy custom skinning in Westlock that was charging $30 per and from everything that I've heard he was terrible. Word travels fast and I don't think that he's doing it anymore. In most cases though you get what you pay for and if you want the bare minimum then that's what it costs. If you want better than just meeting the auction average then that's going to cost you a little more because it's going to take the skinner a little longer to do things right. I put up all of my own fur but if I were paying someone to put my coyotes up I wouldn't be happy with a mediocre job.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:10 PM

The guys I am referring to have more than one top lot that they have put up. With the price of fuel and trapping equipment these days why would anyone trap might as well put up fur. I am painfully slow. And I can put up 3 an hour short of washing. That would be 90 an hour!
Old 12-09-2018, 01:37 PM

The price of a service is all relative to what people are willing to pay. I have skinned a few coyotes for people who lived near by or were friends of friends. i charged them $40 becuase it was more of a hassel that anything and i already have a fulltime job. I also skinned a small black bear for a guy for $150.

You name your price and people choose to pay it. I am deffinately not gods gift to skinning and got the price i offered, the price a guy charges does not always equate to skill.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 PM
AO Sponsor

$55 anyone???

55 going 60????

You will certainly get the goodest good job then?

Last edited by Marty S; 12-09-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 AM

$20-25 is fair in my opinion, $30 seems a little high but if that’s what they get in your area then I guess that’s what you pay.

$10 each for the local ranch hand likely doesn’t happen too often these days with the popularity of social media and the fact you can’t bull **** them into thinking that’s good money these days.

Regardless almost anybody is going to get the most they absolutely can for the job they’re doing. Certainly can’t blame them.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:55 AM
AO Sponsor

My whole point is to make people aware of their options, in hopes that folks aren't being taken advantage of. In doing so, it is quite possible that the odd guy that is over charging for custom skinning might get a little hot under the collar.

So currently, as of today, I am now aware of 7 guys/outfits that are in the $15 a coyote range, and they for the most part do very good work. I can't speak for them all. I am currently using a guy at $13 a coyote that is supposed to know what he is doing, and I'll be looking closely at his work and correct things if necessary. Snared coyotes I might mention, I'll pay him a premium for shot goods according to he extent of damage.

Generally, the better a man is at his work, the faster he can do his work, and the better his work will be... and the less he will have to charge.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
My whole point is to make people aware of their options, in hopes that folks aren't being taken advantage of. In doing so, it is quite possible that the odd guy that is over charging for custom skinning might get a little hot under the collar.

So currently, as of today, I am now aware of 7 guys/outfits that are in the $15 a coyote range, and they for the most part do very good work. I can't speak for them all. I am currently using a guy at $13 a coyote that is supposed to know what he is doing, and I'll be looking closely at his work and correct things if necessary. Snared coyotes I might mention, I'll pay him a premium for shot goods according to he extent of damage.

Generally, the better a man is at his work, the faster he can do his work, and the better his work will be... and the less he will have to charge.
😜. When I got better and faster at my work I got paid more not less.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:35 AM
AO Sponsor

Hourly wage, I suspect?

Different concept than piecework. The piecework guy can charge less as he gets better cuz he's faster and gets way more pieces done per hour than the less skilled.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Hourly wage, I suspect?

Different concept than piecework. The piecework guy can charge less as he gets better cuz he's faster and gets way more pieces done per hour than the less skilled.
Marty brings up a good point, plus he is also probably providing this guy with many a coyote..if a skinner is able to skin a lot of coyotes for $15 dollars per...or not a lot of coyotes for $20 per..I kinda think he would take the 15. It's different for say 50 or so coyotes a year..this at 15 dollars is hardly worth the time..so maybe the skinner charges more to make it worth while. where as 500-1000 coyotes per year well $15 dollars per doesn't seem so bad anymore. plus it doesn't burn the guy who is having them skinned...$20 per is a lot of cash over that many dawgs.

Tbh people seem to be getting worked up about wanting to be right (as per usual). Pay the guy what he is asking to skin..or skin it yourself...or find someone else.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:05 PM

Is the skinner really charging 30 bucks for good snared coyotes?? Maybe for the 30-06 deer season gutless method coyote. Or coyotes riding in the back of the farm truck for a week full of matted straw and green bellies. If your coyotes are snared and looked after I bet the charge is less. I could be wrong but 30 bucks seems like a awful lot for a clean snared coyote.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 AM

Don’t u really think of a skinner gets real good at his job that he , the skinner should get rewarded same as the trapper. If the trapper catches 2 coyotes per ten traps versus someone that catches 8 per ten traps. The more experienced trapper is going to walk away with more money and rightfully so. I think the same goes for the skinners. And yes more money does not mean a better job. It’s up to the trapper to make sure he’s getting what he paid for. And if he don’t like it, walk away.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 AM
AO Sponsor

1 coyote per hour = $15 to $20 /hr

4 coyotes per hour = $60 to $80 /hr

That's already happening. The better the skinner gets, the more he makes.

Good skinners both learn to work fast and also do excellent work. The best guy that I know of is very fast and his put up is better than anybody that I know of in western Canada. The reason his put up is better than everybody else's is because he does all that is necessary very well, and he is more knowledgable than anybody else out there and does extra things that nobody else knows to do. I'm just being blunt and right to the point... it's the Dutch upbringing, I'm sure.

And I do know a lot of people!

What say you Davey? What say you?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Default $13. is a joke

$30 per coyote is not just for skinning.
Price would include the process of fleshing...washing... sewing, if needed... stretching the pelt... taking off the strectcher and turning the pelt and nailing back onto the stretcher.. brushing out the dry pelt...and disposing the carcass.
The finished pelt is clean and grease-free.
The pelt, lips, nose and ears are nicely positioned and trimmed up.

I've seen the $13. jobs with the heads mangled and greasy fur.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
I've seen similar with $15 skin jobs with fat dripping off the hide. In fact, I spent some time in a well known skinner's shack. "You don't have to do that, most of it will come off in the washing machine." Yeah, he did them quickly (not as fast as 9 minutes....lol) but his work was merely good enough IMO. When you gave his pelts a flick they sounded stiff like cardboard from not fleshing nearly enough. Mine sound like wax paper. Considering that that is the first thing that the grader does to help determine what grade to give it, I think that's just a little bit important, but everyone has their standards.

The point that I'll make is that you are no farther ahead by cheaping out on getting your coyotes put up. It's important. If you have a choice between a $15 skinner who'll do a half fast job and a $30 skinner that will take the time to do things well you're going to come out ahead with higher grades. If you can find a $15 skinner that does a $30 job you had better treat him well because they are rare.

I have the luxury of having the time to put up all my own fur so I'll pay myself $15 per plus the extra $20 that I'll get in better grades.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:40 PM

I see Canada goose jackets boycotted in China stocks dropped 17%. That 30$ you pay the skinner might be hard to recoup!
Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I see Canada goose jackets boycotted in China stocks dropped 17%. That 30$ you pay the skinner might be hard to recoup!
I zoned in on that story as well. One store in Hong Kong and one in Beijing trying to break ground into China. It’d be outstanding to get into the HUGE Chinese market but may be a setback for now. It doesn’t sound like the end of the world but it sure would be nice to tap into that market.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 PM

No not the end of the world but coyote is the only fur paying now. The more you pay to put up the more you need to make to break even. Wasn’t that long ago coyotes were under 50$ and they will be back to that sooner or later. Canada goose is a major player
Old 12-11-2018, 07:01 PM
Banned

Coyote trim isn’t going to cool off anytime soon IMO. I was watching the Grey cup and one of the big sponsors was a parka fur trim company (trying to remember their name). Anyway, I did a google search and not only did I find that company but also well known names like Woods and Woolrich selling coyote fur trim. It would appear to me that due to CG success, other manufacturers are joining in on the coyote trim game as well.

I’m guessing that any concern about breaking even by trapping coyotes must be due to owning a Trapline because there’s not a lot of overhead for me as a Resident Trapper......maybe one coyote per week?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:21 PM

I will probably never break even on my registered line unless fur takes a huge jump. Loggers moved in and pretty much decimated my little line.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Coyote trim isn’t going to cool off anytime soon IMO. I was watching the Grey cup and one of the big sponsors was a parka fur trim company (trying to remember their name). ?
I think you're thinking "Nobis" looks like they make nice stuff
Old 12-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose slayer10 View Post
I think you're thinking "Nobis" looks like they make nice stuff
Yup, that’s them.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 AM

Default coyotes

Canad goose was just crying for for more yotes this fall per info from NAFA, Suspect coyotes will still stay at good prices for few years regardless of the computer show in Vancouver.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
$30 per coyote is not just for skinning.
Price would include the process of fleshing...washing... sewing, if needed... stretching the pelt... taking off the strectcher and turning the pelt and nailing back onto the stretcher.. brushing out the dry pelt...and disposing the carcass.
The finished pelt is clean and grease-free.
The pelt, lips, nose and ears are nicely positioned and trimmed up.

Are you doing any custom skinning. Got a call on a friend who arrowed one. I am not in position to help him out.pm with details. Thanks
Old 12-14-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat27 View Post
Are you doing any custom skinning. Got a call on a friend who arrowed one. I am not in position to help him out.pm with details. Thanks
I am not in the business of processing coyotes, just do my own.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:32 PM

I've done custom processing for years and wouldnt dream of charging less than the 20 I do. You get skinned, fleshed,ears done, sewed if need be, washed, combed etc. Basically I do all your dirty work as if they were mine.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:24 PM

Default How can I tag my coyotes when someone else is skinning them

Just wondering how guys mark there coyotes when someone else is skinning I've heard horror stories of people swapping out people's coyotes when skinning them any info would be great
Old 10-29-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteTrapper85 View Post
Just wondering how guys mark there coyotes when someone else is skinning I've heard horror stories of people swapping out people's coyotes when skinning them any info would be great
Zip tie in the ear. Make sure no one else they are skinning for have the same colour
Old 10-29-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Zip tie in the ear. Make sure no one else they are skinning for have the same colour
Sorry but this is bad advice to give out to someone wanting to make sure they get their own coyotes back.A dishonest skinner can go to any hardware store to match the color.You can get zip ties that are numbered and a bit more trouble to duplicate.Marty used to carry the above mentioned tags but a bit of a heads up as they can snap off in cold conditions or with rough handling. I used them with a hole through nose for an honest but unorganized skinner.