Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Smile Waiporous, 412, 316

Hello Fellow hunters,

I was thinking of heading out to this area on Monday to hunt grouse on my ATV and have a couple questions for you vets. 1. I was looking at the 2012 regs and I do not understand the hunting with motorized vehicles section. I may be miss reading this but it says...

Its unlawful to carry a weapon on a ohv between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season. So I can only hunt from sunrise to noon on my ATV?

.2 I also cant find any info on whether or not I can hunt along the 40 in the public land use area? Has anyone ever hunted in there?

Sorry if these questions are ignorant, I am new to the area.

thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:02 PM

I found another post that said its open game after the Bar C where it says forestry a long the 40. So I am assuming its legal.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Banned

Its all in the regulations, you just have to read them. I would read the part about carrying a weapon on an ohv a few more times because you dont have it right.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
So I can only hunt from sunrise to noon on my ATV?
However did you interpret the regulation to get that meaning?Your interpretation is totally backwards. Read the regulation again, it's worded pretty straight forward.

Quote:
Its unlawful to carry a weapon on a ohv between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:28 PM

Will do guys, thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM

Reread it, still don't get it. I guess I'm retarded dunno. It also says on the wmu map that special restrictions apply to all vehicles the a line through a skidoo and there is a line through a skiddo in both 412 and 316. I don't see info in the regs on that either but I guess Ill just keep rereading until I can understand it.......
Old 09-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

You can hunt from noon onwards.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:02 PM

Answer is this

David
Hunting with Motorized Vehicles
It is unlawful to
•discharge a weapon at antelope from within 46 m (50 yards) of a vehicle;

•use motorized travel within Willmore Wilderness Park; and

•carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip). Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.
* this restriction applies to all hunters (including bird game hunters).
Old 09-08-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
You can hunt from noon onwards.
Thank you mutter, I guess I thought it was a little wierd that you cant hunt before noon so I didnt want to understand it.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:19 PM

I dunno how ppl come up with these threads the regs are so straight foward
Old 09-08-2012, 06:24 PM

Fitz,
You can use your quad to move yourself to your hunting area but you have to be on site 1 hour before the sunrise so you got a get up early man!
If you want to hunt on your quad, you have to wait after noon.
That is going to make you the nicest day hunt... Starting early on your quad and reach a quieter area and then in the afternoon when your legs get tired you jump on your quad and still hunt to the sunset.
Enjoy your hunt.
Eric.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric hunter View Post
Fitz,
You can use your quad to move yourself to your hunting area but you have to be on site 1 hour before the sunrise so you got a get up early man!
That is going to make you the nicest day hunt... Starting early on your quad and reach a quieter area and then in the afternoon when your legs get tired you jump on your quad and still hunt to the sunset.
Enjoy your hunt.
Eric.
This is the best answer, good for you for not being a jerk. The guy needed help not somebody thinking they are better or smarter than he is. If you don't have a good answer for him shut the hail up.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric hunter View Post
Fitz,
Enjoy your hunt.
Eric.
Thanks a ton Eric, I really appreciate the help. So afternoon I can carry my gun on my ate as long as its unloaded, this all makes sense to me now.

As for the smart asses that replied to my thread with no answers at all, get a life. Funny the chick at the srd office didn't no the answer and had to get an officer to phone me back.

Tread lightly.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzelferg View Post
Thanks a ton Eric, I really appreciate the help. So afternoon I can carry my gun on my ate as long as its unloaded, this all makes sense to me now.

As for the smart asses that replied to my thread with no answers at all, get a life. Funny the chick at the srd office didn't no the answer and had to get an officer to phone me back.

Tread lightly.
One of the reasons for this kind of forum is to help people that need it. Just because the know know it alls come back with rude answers don't let that stop you from asking questions. These guys were green at one time but they got OH SO smart, now they think they are better than anyone else. Good luck with your hunt.
nuff said:
Pat
Old 09-10-2012, 04:04 PM

The 'no carrying a weapon on an ATV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon' regulation sounds funny on the surface, but the intention is to prevent people from using quads to hunt in the woods in the morning when other hunters are trying to hunt undisturbed, and to restrict to some extent excessive access to the woods for hunting. Lots of disagreement about this law, but that's as she currently sits. So you can quad in very early with your weapon (before one hour before sunrise), but from then until noon you can't ride around with a weapon on your ATV.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Don't worry Pat, I know there is some great folks on here just like yourself that are willing to help us noobs lol.

Thanks again
Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outt and Aboutt View Post
The 'no carrying a weapon on an ATV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon' regulation sounds funny on the surface, but the intention is to prevent people from using quads to hunt in the woods in the morning when other hunters are trying to hunt undisturbed, and to restrict to some extent excessive access to the woods for hunting. Lots of disagreement about this law, but that's as she currently sits. So you can quad in very early with your weapon (before one hour before sunrise), but from then until noon you can't ride around with a weapon on your ATV.
Wow awesome, thanks for explaining that to me... Srd office couldn't even answer that.

The law actually makes sense now, maybe they could have added that in the regs so us as new hunters understood it better.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 PM

You have to remember that in those areas a hunter cannot carry his weapon on an OHV for the morning hunt. However anybody can jump on their OHV and go for a ride during that time. Sometimes it is not as quiet as you may want it to be. You can still find some places in those zones that are good to hunt without the noise of OHVs. I will be going out next weekend for the last of Bow season. Hope I get lucky!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the tip D, good luck on your hunt!