Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 PM

Why should I have a problem with hunting?

Two things, the deer I have killed in recent years had a good life.
The ate well based on the shape they were in, lived on pretty nice crown land and had probably more (good) sex than some people I know.
They also weren't fed with growth hormones and antibiotics.
They died a quick and fast death in the prime of life.
Ever been to a pig farm?

Second, I quote David Petersen from a book on Hunting Philosophy that sums it up nicely:
"... a self-evident biological fact that hunting's harshest critics fail to grasp - or at least to acknowledge - is that a ..need to be hunted is built into all evolved prey species. Without the perpetual continuation of the precise sort of mental and physical exercise provided by evasion and predation, our spectacular prey species, so beautifully crafted by the artful knife of natural predation, would soon devolve into mere thin shadows of their wild selves"

In other words, deer are beautiful, agile, fast animals with keen senses BECAUSE they are hunted. Let them not be hunted for five generations and see what will happen.

and from the same source:
" Predation and evasion comprise a sacred game, without which no living thing would be the same - without which no living thing would even be. In a world without predation - where no living organism sucks sustennance from other living organisms - there would be no adaptive evolution, no food, no quality control via culling of the least fit, and no you and me."

I spent hours today walking cut lines, blocks and old logging roads and saw quite a few deer. Only one ( and a moose for which I didn;t have a tag) stood still long enough to contemplate a shot. I had a choice between a head shot and a "Texas heart shot" in high grass and passed. All the other deer I stalked or spooked were too quick. That's hunting and I still had a great day.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 PM

I am doing what my forefathers have done for generations back to the Caveman .. i put some of the meat on my table and fish /birds .. while i do kill predators i eat bear and use the hides of wolfs/coyotes and other animals as garments .horns as buttons and others parts a jewelery etc

perspective = 1 wolf will kill 1 ungulate every 7 days if it is in Alberta and in Cariboo range that means threatend species.. if the pack is small the Alpha female will drop more eggs and have more pups if feed is good.. we sent Wolfs to USA the next four years would have those areas back to normal pack size for those areas where the Wolfs were taken from..

Years ago in Jasper town site and Snaring camp ground two coyote's attacked two children in one year .. the first a couple of fisherman saved child about 4 after he was hit and tried to take him down will he was with his older sister.. the second was a two year old in Jasper townsite that was playing in his back yard and was grabbed and it was trying to get him over a 2 ft fence when his mom came out to save.. This year at Pocohantas a cougar attack a dog on a leash and took dog .

in the Hinton /Edson area 4 Cougars were shot by hunters when they were stalked this year and the CO officer put out a warning to hunters to be aware

every year around Alberta Wolfs and coyotes etc kill dogs and cats and Farmers calfs chickens horses cattle ..

some hunting of predators keeps natures balance and its does not affected the whole balance.. the same as hunting.

PS please do not step on the GRASS i hear the Grass and Bugs and Organism Screaming as you kill them

Food for Thought
David
Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 PM

This is something I struggle with. As a boy, my family hunted on the farm. When they moved into the city, my dad stopped hunting and my exposure to it ceased.

This year, for some reason I'm struggling with who I am as a hunter a fair bit.

Fast forward 15years, I decided I wanted to try it myself. I've hunted now for 5 years, and here's what I love.

I love being in the outdoors, hiking, exploring, seeing nature at its finest and sometimes harshest. I love looking for the animals I hunt. I enjoy shooting, and improving my skills. I HATE killing. I struggle everytime I pull the trigger on an animal I'm about to shoot for food. I hate seeing a deer take it's last breath or suffer. So, I try my hardest to do one shot, one kill. Ideally a 'bang - drop'. My first deer was a gut shot, and my second deer I blew its front leg off. After that, I tried my hardest (and so far, successfully) to humanely put the deer down as quickly as I could.

Fact of the matter is, I love meat. If I can order a burger or a steak, I should have no problem shooting and eating an animal. In fact, I find great satisfaction in enjoying a deer steak or sausages for an animal I harvested. Far more healthy than anything I'd buy at a store.

I love meat, and I really love venison. I'm looking forward to my first elk or moose meat as well. I'm also looking forward to my first goose and duck kills as well.

I will never kill an animal just for a trophy. My personal feelings stop me at that point. But I do think it's pretty cool if I harvest an animal with big antlers etc. provided that I utilize it to the full.

Having grown up on a farm, I would shoot a coyote, and I've killed thousands of gophers over the years, but I just don't relish the idea of killing. So if I ran across a wolf out in the wild, I probably won't pull the trigger on it. But I certainly will not stop a hunting partner if they choose to do so. I know my thoughts are evolving over the years, so who knows how I'll feel eventually.

Long story short, I think an ethical hunter will always have some sort of a 'moral dillema'. The time when a hunter stops caring about the actions they take (or don't take) is the time when I don't think that person should be hunting anymore.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:18 AM

Having started hunting in my early 20s (I'm 56 now), I'm now in the exact same space as Albertadiver.
In addition, I like accepting the responsibility of killing and processing what I eat, and I enjoy the entire hunting experience - planning, preparation, scouting, hunting, processing game (or not!) and putting gear away, daydreaming about next year!
I also don't trophy hunt or hunt bears/wolves/cougars, but am happy to bring home big antlers when I can and am glad for others that like to hunt predators.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Husky Fan, These are all great books to help answer your questions about hunting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post

Ted Kerasote - "Bloodties"

Richard Nelson - "Heart and Blood"

In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today - James A. Swan

Heartsblood: Hunting, Spirituality, and Wildness in America - David Petersen

A Hunter's Heart: Honest Essays on Blood Sport - David Petersen
Old 10-24-2011, 11:37 PM

A Hunter's Heart: Honest Essays on Blood Sport - David Petersen [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes! Also an excellent book. Haven't read the other two yet - thanks for getting them on my reading list.

And Albertadiver - X2. Nicely said...
Old 09-09-2012, 08:12 PM

I think that you should hold true to your values and ideals. If hunting is something you believe you would like to try and you don't want to be as critical as to "trophy" or not then that is just fine.
If you believe that hunting one animal over another (for whatever reason) is something that would just not suit you, that's fine too.
Hunting, for whatever the reason, is generally an individual sport. Yes you can share it with family and friends, but the moments you see are the moments that really only you remember.
For whatever reason you get outdoors, just plain enjoy them ......if you find that you love it as much as most of the honest fellows on this forum do, remember to save them for your kids as well as the rest of us....
Old 09-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

I'm with you 100% Husky. Actually, it sounds like our stories are basically the same, down to our age.

I'd rather hunt for my meat for many of the reasons previously mentioned but the trophies will be donated to others. I may have been 'anti' at some point of my life but I've never been blind to the reality of human consumption. I've watched a few slaughter house videos and to be frank, have no intention on buying store meat again if I can avoid it.

Now here is where I will likely differ from most and may even make some enemies. Thats fine by me. If you are too sensitive to other peoples perspectives, you should stop reading now. That is the advice given to 'antis', is it not?

I am 99% sure I will never hunt a predator. I have my reasons and they are pretty basic. I don't want to perpetuate an argument but I will give my rebuttals to the previously mentioned reasons to hunt predators.

1: They eat dogs and cats.

Have you ever watched your dog or cat outside in an uncontrolled setting? Isn't there a blurb about not harassing wildlife? Keep your dog where it should be and the chances are slim it will ever be attacked.

2: They eat game.

Yes... thats correct. It's called an 'ecosystem'. A trophy mounted on gyproc is not typically considered part of that cycle.

3: Furs. Well.... I'll admit... it would be pretty damn cool to have a wolf and/or bear coat and blankets BUT.... we derive enough materials from our current oil productions to comfortably fit me (and you) with synthetic clothes, which IMO are more effective anyways. I use a lot of bike clothes in non-bike circumstances and you'd be hard pressed to convince me otherwise. If I ever had to go to war with a mountain tribe, I might reconsider for psychological reasons.

If I felt that killing a grizzly made me more of man than I am from other aspects of my life, maybe it would be a turn on but where I come from, the dangerous predators are usually less than 200lbs and wouldn't mount very nicely. Maybe the idea of a real predator being alive is what appeals to my merciful side.

I also don't think I will be hunting birds. Actually... that comes from looking at some of the pictures on this site. A whole truck full in one day? Really? Doesn't seem sustainable when you consider the numbers.

I pretty much refuse to go through bear/wolf threads because I've done well in preparing to hunt so far and don't want to get turned off.

Coyotes are kinda so-so. Not a fan but they cause me no problems and so I don't (so far) have any real desire to hunt them. I don't see them as dogs or even dog-like. My dogs have always hated them but none the less, even coyote don't like coyote meat. Now, I am tempted to go help a farmer clear his acres in order to get a little more experience but in that regard I guess I see myself as offering a service that is needed.

I think that for every action that can be lawfully committed, the consideration must be made of 'what if everyone did it'.

What if every Albertan took bag limit on bears this year? Same question applies to EVERYTHING, including fossilized rocks in a stream bed.

I'm not attacking anyone else, just drawing my own lines and I hope i haven't burnt any bridges but if so, we likely wouldn't have gotten along very well anyways.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:41 PM

^^^^^

Ethics are a personal thing and most likely should remain as such....

LC
Old 09-09-2012, 09:42 PM

My latest incident with hunting and morals. I had taken a pic of our goose shoot today the harvest was hauled with my truck. After we were finished up I had placed all the geese on the tail gate in the typical stance on facebook. The first reply I got was "Thats FU#*ING DISGRACFUL" by an old friend, before all the congrats on a great hunt. Shes not a hunter and all that stuff. I asked her if the trees hug her back or if she ever gets sap in her hair lol, prob not the best answer but most definatly the best pg rated answer I could give lol. If you have an issue taking an animals life for food, well have fun eating bread and jam. IMO i would rather by far eat a happy and "cute" animal then one that lives a horrible life in a cage just big enough for its body and forced to eat food and injected with hormones, antibiotics, steriods and water. Think about it, store bought chickens are butchered at in between 3-6months of age, where as 10 years ago they had to live to an adult stage to get to those sizes. Cant wait till I fill my freezer with wild meat, good bye meat department!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
^^^^^

Ethics are a personal thing and most likely should remain as such....

LC
I couldn't disagree more but not interested in an argument either. Thanks for the advice but I believe exploring ethics is what develops sustainable practices, in all circumstances. My (rather lengthy) opinion of that statement would probably be taken so far out of context that I'd rather keep it to myself.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
X2!!!!...would like a copy of that!!!!.....open sights on the rifle too!!!...very nice!
Very European looking for sure, but I think it's North American, Kromer hat, and a (maybe Chuck can help me out ) Model 70 with a receiver sight?!
As far as a moral dilemma goes, nope, I have no worries about it at all, killing some and eating it ? Nothing wrong with that at all.
Shooting a critter like a coyote?
Nope.... !
Cat
Old 09-09-2012, 10:41 PM

Honestly, I still feel a bit off every time I walk up to an animal i've killed.
Then, I quickly get into work mode, as I feel strongly that the better I can make use of the animal, and not waste a thing( I don't eat tripe, but I eat the organs and use the hide)...and the faster I can get the meat to cool, and ensure it is as good a meat you'll find anywhere when it hits the table, the better I feel.
Speaking of that, we pulled about 50 ripe roma tomatoes out of the garden today, planned on making a spaghetti sauce with moose burger....went to the freezer, and it looks like I've used all of last years moose.
I had to use beef burger, but I'm sure the sauce will turn out fine anyway.
Time to hit the bush and restock the freezer. It'll be deer this year as I've got to wait a year or two to get lucky with the moose draw again.
I love cooking with wild meat.
I love hunting.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 PM

Last edited by leo; 09-09-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsky View Post
LOL, I think our next moose will be at a cost of $200.00/pound considering gas, food, booze, travel time, equipment including campers, trucks, quads, butchering, and on and on....
Thats how I look at it too, nothin' cheap about it. On that note I am not fussy about what I shoot, if it's going to eat well its down. Actually gotmy moose draw and I hope I can get a young bull. As far as the rest of the critters go, I only shoot the ones that are sick so I put them out of their misery. Man look at all those coyotes, they are all sick, put em down.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFan View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm 100% completely new to hunting, never did it in my life, and was never raised around it, but I'm interested in trying it and for certain aspects it really interests me.

I like the idea of hunting to provide for myself and family, and I think it could be an invaluable skill to have in unpredicatable situations later in life. However I'm not sure I have it in me for the "sporting" aspect of it.

I could see myself hunting for deer/elk/moose etc, and enjoying the huge amount of food it would provide for my family and friends. And I don't see this really any different than how we get our grocery store meats (maybe its even more humane in some ways?). But I don't really see myself enjoying the "trophy" side of things, and I'm curious if there are others out there that are the same way?

For instance going wolf/bear/cougar hunting just for the sake of killing it really would bother me I think. I have a hard time even looking at some of the pics on this forum for that reason (the wolf thing really gets to me for some reason, maybe because I'm a dog lover?). However I respect the choice that some people make by doing it, and I have no problem with what others do as long as its legal.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm curious if anyone else's hunting interests ever conflict with their personal morals/conscience? Or if others have a hard time with the "killing" aspect of hunting (as stupid as that might sound)?
Do you eat meat? Do you eat cows, pigs, sheep, goats? Those animals were killed. Do you have a moral dilemma with that? If the answer is no.. then why would you have a dilemma with doing it yourself? Unless you are unsure if you can take a life... Try it out, see if you are able. I know a lot of first time hunter hesitate a lot to pull that trigger. its a big moral responsibilty once that trigger is pulled. Its not like fishing where you can throw the fish back. You have to dress it, butcher it and process it, then of course eat it ( which is always the 2nd best part in my opinion. My favorite is getting it in the sights and harvesting it.) man vs wild. maybe its just me. if you are gonna shoot it and then feel bad and gonna leave it there... then no, hunting isnt for you. I would go out with a "experienced" hunter find someone who has more than 2 seasons under their belt and let them show you the ropes. There are lots and lots of regulations and information to take in. some of it isnt always the easiest to understand. That is my advice for you. Go out and take one animal. If you are not hooked for life on the whole experience... hunting is just not for you.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 AM

CaberTosser, as I was reading the posts prior to yours, I was trying to word out how I feel about it - You said it EXACTLY as I feel as well. it can be a bit guilt infused as with deer/elk/moose/bears are just minding their own business and suddenly - BANG ! But it makes me respect what I eat SOOOOO much more and has made me even more of a conservationist for the animals I hunt & wildlife on the whole.

With regards to predators - I am happy to help control the coyote population & wolfs if required - but from a conservation point of view. When you see your hunting as part of the wildlife ECOSYSTEM, it feels pretty good. I educate people who don't hunt about keeping our wild zones healthy, and It keeps me appreciating where food comes from (its not: "a steak comes fro a store !" its "something dies for me to be enjoying this- don't waste any of it.")

But thats just me. I won't shoot for the sake of an emotional self pat on the back for how awesome I am - I hunt with purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I started out much like the OP; I had essentially no exposure to hunting until I was about 34. I did go with my uncle once when I was 12, but there was no game taken nor much on the instruction side of things. I'm not sure on the regs back then, but in hindsight it may have been out of season, but I know he was a sustenance hunter in the bush north of 100 Mile House BC. As you experience killing an animal for the first time it was a whole lot of mixed emotion; on one hand there's the euphoria for a good shot and having all your work culminate in one exciting moment, but that's counterbalanced by what I feel was some combination of sympathy and perhaps even a bit of remorse for having taken a life. It gets easier, but I think it's healthy to have had enough respect for the animal that you have some feelings for it upon having killed it. I know some who were raised on a ranch or who've killed a lot of gophers, etc may be a bit more casual about it than myself, but we all have perspectives and none are necessarily wrong. If you wind up spending much time hunting on a ranch, you'll likely learn that coyotes are not to be sympathized with, for they extend none themselves. If they happen across a calf being born they'll begin their feast before the animal is fully delivered.

I would go so far as to say I'm a reformed 'anti'. I used to be ignorant and uninformed about hunting, and while I still have plenty to learn and experience, at least I'm approaching it from a knowledgeable perspective now.
Shamefully, many years ago I laughed upon seeing a video online where a whitetail buck attacked a hunter; I no longer find it amusing these days.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsky View Post
LOL, I think our next moose will be at a cost of $200.00/pound considering gas, food, booze, travel time, equipment including campers, trucks, quads, butchering, and on and on....
Now that is true unless you own your own land or you hunt some land close to your home. That way you save on fuel.

You butcher it yourself & wrap it then you save more money.

Otherwise it may be cheaper to go to a grocery store, or buy a cow directly from a farmer who will have it cut & wrapped for you.

Still there is nothing like eating a healthy animal you bagged yourself.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I'm 100% completely new to hunting, never did it in my life, and was never raised around it, but I'm interested in trying it and for certain aspects it really interests me.

I like the idea of hunting to provide for myself and family, and I think it could be an invaluable skill to have in unpredicatable situations later in life. However I'm not sure I have it in me for the "sporting" aspect of it.

I could see myself hunting for deer/elk/moose etc, and enjoying the huge amount of food it would provide for my family and friends. And I don't see this really any different than how we get our grocery store meats (maybe its even more humane in some ways?). But I don't really see myself enjoying the "trophy" side of things, and I'm curious if there are others out there that are the same way?

For instance going wolf/bear/cougar hunting just for the sake of killing it really would bother me I think. I have a hard time even looking at some of the pics on this forum for that reason (the wolf thing really gets to me for some reason, maybe because I'm a dog lover?). However I respect the choice that some people make by doing it, and I have no problem with what others do as long as its legal.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm curious if anyone else's hunting interests ever conflict with their personal morals/conscience? Or if others have a hard time with the "killing" aspect of hunting (as stupid as that might sound)?

I've hunted most of my life, and I've questioned it's appeal every year I've gone out. If you read some of the fine articles on the development of a hunter, you may understand that as one matures in life, so does thier outlook on participating in the sport. But don't fret. As I've discovered, hunting doesn't always mean downing an animal. It's a lifestyle that puts one into nature at whatever level you choose. Enjoy the interaction and develop a relationship that you find comfortable. I've smiled many times after lowering the rifle and watching a fine animal carry on, and over the years, I often reflect on the friendships and hardships that the sport provides.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
Do you eat meat? Do you eat cows, pigs, sheep, goats? Those animals were killed. Do you have a moral dilemma with that? If the answer is no.. then why would you have a dilemma with doing it yourself? Unless you are unsure if you can take a life... Try it out, see if you are able. I know a lot of first time hunter hesitate a lot to pull that trigger. its a big moral responsibilty once that trigger is pulled.

Man vs wild.

Go out and take one animal. If you are not hooked for life on the whole experience... hunting is just not for you.
Meat from the store ....."Those animals were killed" but by someone else. The average person does not see it done, or how it is done, & so they can eat it. The messy work was done by others.

However whether or not a person can go out hunting & then (take a life of a wild animal) is another thing altogether. That is for them to decide & no one else. No matter what we say this individual or any individual that wants to hunt for the 1st time needs to realize they need to (take a life)....an animal does not really want to give its life up, we must (take it). All hunters needed to make that decision on their own just as this individual or any individual that wants to hunt for the 1st time needs to do.

"Man vs wild"

The way I look at "man vs wild" is that I need to try & out wit them (wildlife). While on the ground & getting within 18 meters of a deer, moose, or elk without being detected is a challenge. To get within 9 meters while on the ground is rewarding. To kneel & freeze like a rock & not move a muscle when you see a young buck just 18 meters to your left but forward & it did not detect you yet & you watch it & then it walks across the lease road (on which your kneeling & now it is only 9 meters in front of you & it stopped but does not think the thing kneeling there is a threat & so it moves a bit & begins eating buds from the bushes & gets a bit closer. You were hoping that a doe was following him or somewhere around but there was not, & so you make yourself known & it runs.

That for me is fun, rewarding, & challenging. I cannot get enough of that. Like Brad Fenson said in his article "catching a deer flat-footed and unaware of your presence is extremely rewarding and once you done it successfully, you'll want to experience it again" ......& again, & again.

I guess if we say "man verse nature" then that opens more adventures while it the act of hunting.

"Go out and take one animal. If you are not hooked for life on the whole experience... hunting is just not for you."

The person who started the thread could go out bird hunting first & shed blood & see how you feel. If you handle that then go after a deer next & that does not detect your presence & take it's life & gut it & then see how you are.

Then take another deer that is looking at you eye to eye & take it's life & if you can handle that then continue hunting. You could do this 1st if you want.

Just my thoughts on this
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I think some of the responses have missed your point. You say: I could see myself hunting for deer/elk/moose etc, and enjoying the huge amount of food it would provide for my family and friends.
So that shows you have no problem with hunting to acquire meat.
That is what motivates many hunters as well as the enjoyment of the activity and sharing the experience with friends and family.

You say:But I don't really see myself enjoying the "trophy" side of things,...For instance going wolf/bear/cougar hunting just for the sake of killing it really would bother me I think.

So it is not "trophy" hunting for deer or moose or elk that concerns you it is for the "non-meat" kind of hunting (though black bear meat is very good and it is for the meat that I hunt black bears as well as the hides)

And you are not criticizing others for doing so, just saying it may not be for you.

I have shot wolves for their hides and coyotes as well. But I do not "hate" those animals and consider them "vermin" as some seem to. They are predators and do what they must to survive.

When you decide to kill something there must be a good reason for it. If you do not see a reason to kill a wolf then you don't have to. Killing one because other people do it and you want to fit in is probably not a good reason to.

Yesterday I saw a small hawk chasing a chickadee. At first I hoped the chickadee would escape the hawk but then I thought the hungry hawk needed to eat. There is no good or bad, fair or unfair in such a situation. Man should not dis predators because they are predators.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:01 AM

I face moral decisions all the time surrounding hunting....

Case in point, today is opening day of Deer/Elk/Sheep/Goat/Etc season here in BC and I'm at home due to a moral decision!!! Haha.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 AM

Oh boy, the mother of all flaming threads.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Default Possibilities unlimited .

I agree with Oko...this should get interesting .
Some very good posts so far on the rationale behind hunting game animals .

Now that I have had 50 plus years of hunting in the prairies ;
one of the things I realise that hunting has always given me the opportunity
to police my own morals and judgement . I certainly have had opinions about others over the years .But really I can have dominion only over mine.

Now its just about getting out with the dog...I hate shoot and waste .
Lately I have had friends in their sixties , lifelong hunters .They've stopped because they are not interested in eating what they shoot . That is an honest perspective , I feel.

I do feel an emotion when I shoot something wild ....more respect for the animal . I dont feel bad because I missed ....and the prey escaped.
Thats the balance of this sport.I guess I am torn now.I was so rabid as a youngster , i lived and died by success in the field ...For many years now not so much....

I think as the top animal on the food chain we can allow ourselves
some intelligent perspective on the subject. Not so defensive but more persuasive and rational . My twobits W101
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM

I agree with many post in this thread. I would rather process my own meat and know its clean and natural then get store bought meat. Im not saying I never buy meat from the store, because i do. But i try to eat wild game as much as I can.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 PM

When I had my first deer in the crosshairs, I wondered if I could pull the trigger for about five seconds, then I can't really explain it any other way but that instinct took over and I pressed the trigger. Maybe the old instinct to hunt is stronger in some people than others, doesn't make you any less of a hunter in my eyes. You're not being able to see yourself shooting species is your choice and I respect that.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:51 PM

There should always be a respect for the animal you have harvested if not then you have a moral issue in another way.

I often consider what I have done or will do and the fact that I just killed an animal and I pay my respects in my own way. To be honest I usually dont think about it much when I pick up a pack of meat from the butchers.
Yes hunting and taking an animals life may be a reality check but IMO I have much more appreciation for the animal and the meat and thats the way it should be.

Mike
Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
My latest incident with hunting and morals. I had taken a pic of our goose shoot today the harvest was hauled with my truck. After we were finished up I had placed all the geese on the tail gate in the typical stance on facebook. The first reply I got was "Thats FU#*ING DISGRACFUL" by an old friend, before all the congrats on a great hunt. Shes not a hunter and all that stuff. I asked her if the trees hug her back or if she ever gets sap in her hair lol, prob not the best answer but most definatly the best pg rated answer I could give lol. If you have an issue taking an animals life for food, well have fun eating bread and jam. IMO i would rather by far eat a happy and "cute" animal then one that lives a horrible life in a cage just big enough for its body and forced to eat food and injected with hormones, antibiotics, steriods and water. Think about it, store bought chickens are butchered at in between 3-6months of age, where as 10 years ago they had to live to an adult stage to get to those sizes. Cant wait till I fill my freezer with wild meat, good bye meat department!!!
It is actually 42 days. That is the age a meat chicken lives before it is butchered. At least the commercially raised ones anyways. If you buy from a farm direct who is growing the heritage breeds then those birds are older as there genetics haven't been altered to make them such fast growers. Also, some birds are slaughtered a little earlier, however, most will never make it to 7 weeks. I have seen commercial birds grown to, I believe 8 weeks, and these birds looked like watermelons on toothpicks. It was insane to see how big these birds got.

My wife asked me once how old chickens live, she is a city girl. I told her 6 weeks if it was a meat bird and a year if it was a layer. She then rephrased the question to mean how old would they live if we didn't slaughter them. Still don't know the answer to this question.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Bow View Post
I also don't think I will be hunting birds. Actually... that comes from looking at some of the pictures on this site. A whole truck full in one day? Really? Doesn't seem sustainable when you consider the numbers.
Google snow goose populations you might recant that statement, and book a spring hunt as a moral obligation. And other waterfowl are not hurting

For myself there needs to be a reason, for the food, fur, pest (protecting food crop, livestock, property ) or protection.

But I personally don't understand the whole "do you feel bad after a kill" thing to me it is a statment of the ignorant, the life of one entity is only perpetuated by the death of another, you know the food chain thing.

So do I feel guilty that I am alive? No! and I know that every breath I take has been bought by the death of another being either directly as the pig that was made into ham or in-directly in land lost to grain production, to make the bread of my sandwich.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:55 PM

HuskyFan, You should also check out some videos on YouTube on how to field dress your Moose, Elk or Deer. Just to give you an idea of what you are in for after the kill.