Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 04:48 PM

Default Meat grinders

Anyone have any tips on a good meat grinder. I’ve been processing all my own game and need to grind I’ve been pretty lucky getting a bull moose bull elk white tail buck mule buck and filled my 2 sup tags in one season. I’m looking for a grinder that can process in bulk not a hand model or a 49$ amazon special I don’t think that would be up to the task.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:25 PM

Default Meat grinder

Cabelas #22 does a good job but we recently upgraded to a Cabelas # 42
Old 12-07-2018, 07:04 PM
Banned

I've had my grinder from Butchers and Packers in Edmonton for 14 years and am very happy. It is the smallest commercial model yet it grinds 250 kg/hr. I have put several critters through it per year with great success and minimal effort. It chews through tendons and all.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I've had my grinder from Butchers and Packers in Edmonton for 14 years and am very happy. It is the smallest commercial model yet it grinds 250 kg/hr. I have put several critters through it per year with great success and minimal effort. It chews through tendons and all.
How much hp does your unit have I’m think a 1 hp would be the minimum
Old 12-07-2018, 08:12 PM
Banned

I have a LEM from bass Pro, but the cabelas ones look great too
Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I have a LEM from bass Pro, but the cabelas ones look great too
I have a LEM #12 (3/4 HP) and it does everything I need. The wide throat and augur design help it avoid clogs and easily grab the larger chunks. It was a huge step up from the 0.5HP generic brand one I got from Northern Tool. Recommended for sausages or sustained grinding.

I've used a Cabela's grinder (don't think they sell that particular model anymore) and it also did the trick. I like my LEM slightly better because it feeds smoother, but Cabela's higher end stuff is properly constructed and up to the task of grinding a moose. Expect some compromises if you spend less than $200 (plastic components usually, or weaker motor).
Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 PM

Im looking into the cabelas canivore series in a 1 HP($499 or 599 does 13-18lbs/min) roughly or 1 3/4 HP ($799 or 899 does 19-23lbs/min) roughly..they look mean. I have seen deals on them to save about $100 give or take. Check em out. Looks like a meat eater for sure.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
How much hp does your unit have I’m think a 1 hp would be the minimum
It's a 1hp #12 Grinder. Cost me $600 just as it does today.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:32 AM

The 1horse power cabelas grinder is fast and relatively quiet. It does a great job. Run your meat through just thawed with ice crystals in it the first time through with any grinder. Goes quick.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:37 AM

I just bought a Weston Pro Series #22. It works great and I recommend it. These are 2 HP. I bought it off of Ebay for $400 U.S. with free shipping. With a 5 year warranty I don't think you can go wrong. I do however live 15 miles off the ND border so I had it shipped to a depot there and went and picked it up. I believe the Cabelas Carnivore is a Weston butcher series and tagged with the Cabelas name. The Pro series is deffinately a step up. With the #22 head it takes very large long pieces of meat. It is rated at 18 lb per minute and unless you are doing hundreds of pounds in a day it should be more than enough.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
It's a 1hp #12 Grinder. Cost me $600 just as it does today.
# 22 I'm guessing?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:15 AM

Whatever you do but one with metal gears. If you get poly or plastic gears they will strip and leave you hanging. I bought a LEM Big Bite #8 this year and for how much I use it it does great! All stainless steel construction so clean up is a breeze. I wanted a Cabelas Carnivore but when the decision was made to buy one and I had 2 deer witnessing processing ASAP I went with what I could find. No regrets after using it. The grinder cuts faster than I can load.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:36 AM

We use the 1hp #22 commercial grade grinder from cabelas, gets the job done with ease & has metal gears
Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
# 22 I'm guessing?
The retailer has it listed as # 12
Old 12-08-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I’ve been processing all my own game and need to grind I’ve been pretty lucky getting a bull moose bull elk white tail buck mule buck and filled my 2 sup tags in one season.
Mother of Pearl, that's a lot of meat.

The Cabelas ones are pretty decent. I have a coupld of the cheaper ones, both cabelas and other, plus a home-made one from a friend's Italian grandpa that's great. But getting a #42 plate will make things much easier for you.

Or you can bring a truck load up here for one of our sausage making-parties.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
Mother of Pearl, that's a lot of meat.

The Cabelas ones are pretty decent. I have a coupld of the cheaper ones, both cabelas and other, plus a home-made one from a friend's Italian grandpa that's great. But getting a #42 plate will make things much easier for you.

Or you can bring a truck load up here for one of our sausage making-parties.
ya I've never been so lucky as this year, I was just giving deer quarters away to friends and family cause I didn't want to get another freezer, as a group there was 3 more deer and another moose it was our first year of sup tags north of slave lake and my first year of archery hunting got my 32" bull first 45 min of the first hunt 2 days after my first bow purchase. and we picked up the bull elk and 2 whitetail bucks on the same day 4 hours apart in a lul in the 2018 Calgary area snowpocalypse. we didnt have the cash to pay for processing all that game so we cut it on our own and froze what we wanted to grind into 4 lb bags for grinding after the season. processing our own game has actually turned out to be way easier than we thought and we have made really nice looking cuts with no silver skin or gristle.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 AM

Princess Auto has their 2/3hp #12 grinder on for $130 right now. Hell of a deal. Used it last year and it chewed through 3 deer flawlessly. Could buy 4 of these for the price of the Carnivore..
Old 12-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Princess Auto has their 2/3hp #12 grinder on for $130 right now. Hell of a deal. Used it last year and it chewed through 3 deer flawlessly. Could buy 4 of these for the price of the Carnivore..
How does it do with the sausage stuffing attachments?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Worked well for me as well. I use a water stuffer so can’t attest to how well the grinder would stuff. One year warranty on it and metal gears from what I read.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
How does it do with the sausage stuffing attachments?
We use a dedicated stuffer so can't say for certain. I am sure it would work as well as any other grinder attachment system tho.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:28 AM

I might have to look at these . I checked their website and shows it at $169.00. Is their a flyer out with a sale price?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:35 AM

I went through 3 Princess Auto grinders before I finally broke down, and spent the money on the Cabelas 1 HP grinder.
I should have bought the Cabelas from the start. I have put half frozen meat through it and it barely slows down.
Never used the stuffer attachments as I also use a dedicated hand crank stuffer. But I can tell you, if you buy a Cabelas 1HP you will not be sorry.

My wife is convinced that the only reason I hunt is so I have a reason to own and use my meat equipment at home.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:36 AM

I bought the cuisnart special 5 years ago from canadian tire on sale for under $200. Its done me great and never slows down the process. Definetly worth the cash.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
I went through 3 Princess Auto grinders before I finally broke down, and spent the money on the Cabelas 1 HP grinder.
I should have bought the Cabelas from the start. I have put half frozen meat through it and it barely slows down.
Never used the stuffer attachments as I also use a dedicated hand crank stuffer. But I can tell you, if you buy a Cabelas 1HP you will not be sorry.

My wife is convinced that the only reason I hunt is so I have a reason to own and use my meat equipment at home.
Which princess auto ones did you have? The 3/4 HP or the smaller ones?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Which princess auto ones did you have? The 3/4 HP or the smaller ones?
Mine were all the 1/2 HP. it was a Kitchner brand.
They were terribly slow. And so loud that I had to wear ear protection when I used it. Finally caved 3 years ago and bought my Cabelas grinder and I have never looked back.

I burnt out 3 motors in 3 different P.A. grinders I had.

I recently suggested the 1 HP Cabelas to a friend who runs a small chicken plant. He runs Chicken backs through it. bone and all and he tells me it doesn't even slow down, and chews right through them. Apparently he is glad I told him about the grinder.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:41 AM

I use my wife's Kitchinaid blender with the grinder attachment. I don't process quite the same amount of meat as most of the guys but I do enough.

Added benefit: The Kitchinaid motor gets hot enough to heat the house that day!

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 AM

We've got the 3/4 hp Cabelas commercial grade one and love it. It's all metal construction, and the cooling pack are great features! It did the grinding on 11 deer this season and never missed a beat!
Old 12-15-2018, 09:06 AM

Default Grinder

Cabellas . #22

The only problem with it is you will need a helper to keep up with the thing!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:44 AM
Banned

after some ****ty luck with stuff that i bought at cabelas i decided to buy my 1hp grinder from butchers and packers the other day. I debated getting the 2 hp as it was only $200 more.

Butchers and packers offers a lot of extra servicing options and they discounted the 1hp quit a bit as well.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunda2 View Post
Cabellas . #22

The only problem with it is you will need a helper to keep up with the thing!
There is a note in the book about not trying to make sausage as a one man show, because with the turbo screw you won't keep up and make a mess. I've yet to try sausage with it, as I like the control of a hand crank press..