Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2017, 05:39 PM

Default Grizzly bear documentary on CTV Calgary

Thought a lot of you would be interested - it airs Monday night at 6:30 on CTV Calgary but should be on their website after that.

Promo asks "how many are too many?"
Old 10-09-2017, 04:15 AM

Bump for tonight
Old 10-09-2017, 09:05 PM

I thought there were a few missleading facts about the number of bears but all and all I thought it was a pretty good program.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:44 PM

Could have used a few more rancher/ hunter opinions , a few less enviros.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:40 PM

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.3622544

Watch for yourself.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 AM

I turned it off after a couple of minutes. Do not agree with people in Canmore and the media.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I turned it off after a couple of minutes. Do not agree with people in Canmore and the media.
Definatly one sided. How about all groups involved have a say not just all the granola crunchers!
Wonder what would be the result of a hunt if a few more granolies got mauled instead of the hunters. You can be sure it would be a different story!!
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 AM

Sadly I'm not surprised. Grizzlies walking into Calgary....meh...another mauling...meh
Poor misunderstood creatures
Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 AM

Things are getting to (some would say past) the point where people dont care what regulations are in place. Can't blame the people who are being forced to live with bears that are a threat. I'd do what I have to as well

Sad that resources cannot be managed appropriately due to anti-hunting emotions.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Things are getting to (some would say past) the point where people dont care what regulations are in place. Can't blame the people who are being forced to live with bears that are a threat. I'd do what I have to as well

Sad that resources cannot be managed appropriately due to anti-hunting emotions.
This ^^^^. Exactly !!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

So true! Well said!

BW
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 PM

For my two cents... I see a couple (2-10?) of grizzlies every year. I feel good when I see them from a far and nervous when they are too close (especially when the buggers are under your nose while bow hunting or strolling around camp!). However, regardless of how I see them it gives me a sense that where I am in the bush still has a wild element and gives me some solace that we are doing somethings right while we march ahead miss managing many of our wild places and wild life.

I believe that largely people who have a reasonable perspective on the status of bears in AB spend enough time outdoors and on the land engaging with wild things. Sadly, the emotional aspect often is injected by persons not healthy engaged with wildlife on a regular basis and as such have a romantic idea of what is or should be taking place. More often these folks reside in metropolitan areas and are able to influence the messaging going out to the broader uninformed public who then latch on to emotional attitudes and drive public policy towards a situation such as the one in BC (not well thought out by any standards and was sustainable and reasonably balanced). With everybody sitting around home surfing the internet, tweeting, and finding something to talk about bears and hunting are easy fodder for the media junkies (which now reach everybody in a blink of an eye). The good news in AB is our bear population is proving robust and it would appear the folks interviewed have a reasonably unbiased perspective at this juncture? That female bear has made the "hunting" community a target on public media once again. Hopefully this video gets out to the masses to digest and eases the hyper over reaction that most things seem to get in the media these days. Hopefully we as hunters are lucky enough to have some sounded minded people continue to be engaged in managing some of the policy around grizzlies as the population continues to grow so it can be managed effectively instead of emotionally.

As for the video... I thought it was pretty well rounded and well done by the journalist without adding a bunch of emotional malarkey. I like that they took the time to investigate how many "hunter" type encounters can/do occur once you step off the Banff hiking trails and I appreciated that there was a balance of perspectives tabled.

Now for some fun... anyone have any grizz pics from this season or from your trail cams this year!

Tags
bears, grizzlies, grizzly