Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Coyote decoy for coyote hunting

I have heard mixed reviews on 3D coyote decoys. I was wondering if anyone has some experience, good or bad. I hunt areas with a fair amount of bush, with flat open fields. Coyotes hold up and study before committing. I use a spinner decoy but would it be benificial to add to the set up?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM

I cant comment on the 3d decoy. But i have (two) and used the 2d decoys with good success. I like to change things up throughout the season. Sometimes i use a single 2d decoy along with a challenge call. I have watched them through my rifle scope barking back and mad as hell as they head for me. Quite funny to watch. They are telling me to "get out of my territory".

I have also paired them up and used locator calls to get them to come in. Many yotes have also been shot using my 2d rabbit decoy along with a rabbit distress. Since i do lots of walking, I try to keep the carry load to a minimum. I like the 2d's as they are easy to set up and light to carry.

If you get a 3d decoy, let me know how it works for you.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler

Last edited by Maxwell78; 10-12-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Banned

i've always found the coyote decoy keeps them from committing too far.

which could be good or bad. if you're having problems stopping coyotes before they land on you then it's good. but if you're in a tight area it wont get coyotes closer.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i've always found the coyote decoy keeps them from committing too far.

which could be good or bad. if you're having problems stopping coyotes before they land on you then it's good. but if you're in a tight area it wont get coyotes closer.
At what distance do they typically hold up?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
At what distance do they typically hold up?
as soon as they see the decoy usually. it could be 500m
Old 10-12-2017, 05:07 PM

On multiple occasions I have had them get within 10-20 meters of the 2D decoy and bark at it.
One time I couldn't get a good shot and had to stand up, the coyote looked over at me and continued to bark at the decoy (June, also using pup distress at the same time).
Old 10-12-2017, 05:13 PM

I use a montana decoy coyote, brought them in to less than 100 yds many times. Works like a charm.. just set it up about 20 yds to side if you can.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:33 PM

i have one of the flambeau 3d decoys and that thing is a royal pain to take on any coyote hunt. it now sits in the goose trailer for keeping birds off of separate parts of fields.
the legs dont stay in, it is insanely loud to carry and it is quite bulky. i would get a 2d style one if i were to get another for calling.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-12-2017, 08:05 PM

To begin with I walk a lot when I call coyotes.I have the Flambeau 3d which is heavy, loud and awkward to carry but kills a lot of coyotes for me.I also use a sitting as well as a standing stuffed coyote that work very well.The odd pup might get scared off but the overall benefits are great.Be careful when using them as Ive had two close calls over the years with truck hunters.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 PM

I use a 3d decoy a ton while calling. Breeding season and whelping season is definitely the best time to bring it out. I run a turkey vest with built in seat as my calling vest and the decoy rides easy in the big back bag/ pouch. Summer time usually has the pups holding up at longer range once they see the decoy but from sept to mar itsva great asset