Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2014, 10:04 PM

Default Daughter just warned the ole heart

So last night my 13yr old daughter asked to take the Hunter Safety Course. Enrolled her, and knowing her, she'll be done this weekend and hopefully have a license in early October.

She's already my fishing partner, now hunting too

Of course her mother, my ex, won't be overly pleased but any hunting will be when she's with me

Also found out her closest 3 girlfriends all hunt too.... Sounds like there will be very interesting "girls only weekends" in her future....
Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM

Nice. My 16 yr old son has been following me around since 4. My 14 yr old daughter loves wild game but hasn't had the urge to join me yet. Still hoping.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:33 PM

That's awesome. You two will have a ton of memories together, especially her.

Not sure what I'd do with that much estrogen in a hunting camp though if all of her friends decided to join

I have two young boys (still in diapers) and I keep telling my wife to enjoy these times, because in a blink of time she's going to lose all 3 of us for a few months a year.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 PM

very cool post

( although I was a bit confused when I read in your title that your daughter
" warned "your heart..........)
Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 AM

Awesome.

My six year old daughter has told me she wants to go hunting with me several times.
Like you op, my ex doesn't want to talk about this and will stop at nothing to make sure she can keep our girl from joining me.

My son is starting to show some mild interest in hunting.

Hey, what's wrong with being involved with our children doing this activity?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 AM

My daughters are age 2 and 4 and have already been in on a few of my wife's and my kills. With two parents who hunt and such young children it can take careful planning and no small amount of sacrifice to keep everyone happy, but I think it is an investment that I will someday be very glad that I've made.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 AM

I remember going with my Dad when i was a kid. Now my boy is 8 and he has enjoyed going for the last couple of years. My daughter is 4 and hasnt said to much, but I have time to wait. I hope to take them both out Duck hunting during the early season while its warm out. And my boy will be with me lots on weekends and maybe even miss a day or 2 of school to come on the deer and elk hunt. Heres to the next generation, and good luck.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxer117 View Post
very cool post

( although I was a bit confused when I read in your title that your daughter
" warned "your heart..........)
LOL, should be warmed......
Old 08-28-2014, 11:30 AM

Ive been waiting for a post like this one. My boy just turned 3. He loves the truck and hes heard me pop off rimfire cartridges. My wife would not be pleased with me if I took him out for big game with a high caliber rifle. But I think this season ill have him come out for a walk, hunting rabits and grouse. I still think its a little early for young children to watch big game taken and dressed. When is a young one mature enough to understand the hunt and all the respect and ethics involved?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:36 AM

our 13 y/o daughter hunts with my hubby. She has informed me that I, the mom, am not allowed to join them.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post
our 13 y/o daughter hunts with my hubby. She has informed me that I, the mom, am not allowed to join them.
LOL... I'd never take anything away from mother/daughter, mother/son, father/son relationships/moments... but father/daughter relationships/moments seem, at least to me, to be just that wee-bit more special......
Old 08-28-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helotech View Post
Ive been waiting for a post like this one. My boy just turned 3. He loves the truck and hes heard me pop off rimfire cartridges. My wife would not be pleased with me if I took him out for big game with a high caliber rifle. But I think this season ill have him come out for a walk, hunting rabits and grouse. I still think its a little early for young children to watch big game taken and dressed. When is a young one mature enough to understand the hunt and all the respect and ethics involved?
I take my daughters truck hunting (not really my thing but it beats watching TV), and from inside the truck the sound of the shot doesn't seem to even make them jump so I think its OK. Would not take them duck hunting though where a lot of shots are going to be fired. Some particularly tasty snacks and letting them ride up front and play with the radio seems to keep them from getting bored too fast. Shooting a grouse will buy me a few more hours but I end up cleaning feathers out of the truck until Christmas.

They've both been watching their parents kill, dress, and process game for as long as they can remember. When an animal is killed they get out of the truck and "help me find it", I then make sure to include them in the pictures. Because they've been exposed to it before they had any idea of what "normal" should be I find their perspective on harvesting game interesting. They look at a dead deer and usually first comment on how cute it is, then they might point out the blood or the tong hanging out, my 2 year old has a weird obsession with touching their eyes, they then ask if they can help me "pull the bones out". We've had a few misadventures and I think the term "bad parenting" might have been muttered once in or twice but it seems to work for us.

As far as understanding the killing of a wild animal, and having a respect and reverence for nature in general I would say that my daughters are way ahead of a good portion of the hunting partners I have had over the years, even though neither has seen their 5th birthday.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-28-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Because they've been exposed to it before they had any idea of what "normal" should be I find their perspective on harvesting game interesting. They look at a dead deer and usually first comment on how cute it is, then they might point out the blood or the tong hanging out, my 2 year old has a weird obsession with touching their eyes, they then ask if they can help me "pull the bones out". We've had a few misadventures and I think the term "bad parenting" might have been muttered once in or twice but it seems to work for us.
Funny, a few years back had a neighbor who was an anti-hunter... Had a doe hanging in the garage, she happened to look in the garage and saw me butchering it, my daughter was watching (she was about 8 at the time). The anti-hunter tried the ole turn the daughter on dad trick, asked my daughter what she thought of dad killing "a cute bambi"... My daughter looked at her, and without skipping a beat said "well deer are cute, but they are delicious"
Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnVet0506 View Post
Funny, a few years back had a neighbor who was an anti-hunter... Had a doe hanging in the garage, she happened to look in the garage and saw me butchering it, my daughter was watching (she was about 8 at the time). The anti-hunter tried the ole turn the daughter on dad trick, asked my daughter what she thought of dad killing "a cute bambi"... My daughter looked at her, and without skipping a beat said "well deer are cute, but they are delicious"
Heres the gang and a deer my wife killed last year.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:24 PM

Im fourteen and just did my test back in the end of august, i think my dads pretty happy he'll have a partner this year! unfortunately none of my friends hunt but definitley looking to shoot my first deer in november! also looking for any girls my age 13,14 or 15 to go to the outdoor youth seminar camp hosted by A.H.E.I.A next august haha
Old 09-14-2014, 05:45 PM

My daughter loves coming out with me. No such thing as too young IMO. She will be a much better hunter than me one day.

Attachment 95985b2.jpg
Old 09-14-2014, 05:48 PM

This is her favourite part lol.

B1.jpg
Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 PM

My five year old and I went for a walk along the NSR today west of the foot bridge behind Fort Edmonton Park. As we were leaving the house she grabbed he little " Brave " bow and an arrow I asked her what she was going to do with that she told me. " it's if I see a bear dad!" I had a good feeling going on as she stalked along her favourite trail. On the way home she asked about gong moose hunting. I've been watching the Hung show in discovery and some of Shockeyd stuff on wyld tv. Her mom isn't to keen on it bug letting her go with it for now. Her passion is her bow right now so I best pick up a bow and bring her with. She's into the pink camo too. But I won't be wearing pink camo myself! Well maybe a touque!

BW