Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Micro SD card

for a GPS to load maps on....anyone know where you might be able to pick a couple of em up for a decent price....any sales on?
Thanx in advance guys!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Banned

Futureshop has one for $20. 4GB card. http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0099233&catid=
Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM

I bought a 4GB Micro SD for my phone off eBay. I think paid $13 shipped.
Future Shop sells the 4GB for $20.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 PM

4GB is likely overkill.
On my Garmin Map60CSX I loaded most of Canada onto a 1 GB card with lots of room left over. Some units(most) have a limit on the number of maps you can put on it, not the size.
You might be able to pick up old stock 1GB at rediculous prices that would work just as well as anything larger.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:02 PM

Staples in Airdrie had some on sale last week, but that may have been part of the Boxing week sale.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Thanx guys, I was thinking ther 2 GB card.

Findal, why do most units limit the number of maps you download, isn't it all about the card? I already have a card with the street maps, it came with the GPS, now I'm wanting to downlaod Topo Canada.

If I'm able, (GPS allows me)I would like to download the Alberta WMU once I get a chance to buy em.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM

I have 2 gb in my 60 csx and have all of BC, Alb and Sask. I could have put all of Canada on it but when I tried to turn on the GPS it didn't go past the startup screen. Removed the rest of canada and it has been good since.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Tuc

I am not sure the exact reason why they(GARMIN) limit the number of maps able to be loaded onto a card, but I have several ideas.
The first is the ability of the software to handle such a large array in an efficient manner, meaning that the programming would be exponentially slower above a certain point when trying to read, start-up or calculate things. The ability and power of the GPS processor would impose a limit at some point also.
Another is a matter of transfer speed, especially when using the GPS as the loader/reader of data through USB connections; which are still rather slow compared to direct transfer from HD to memory card.

Here area couple of links with tons of extra info, and even a way to get around the limits,possibly.

http://freegeographytools.com/2007/g...sd-card-tricks
http://gpsinformation.net/
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM

2 weeks ago Best Buy in NE Calgary had 3-packs of 2GB cards for $27.99 It was a regular price, not a sale so they should still have them.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findal View Post
[LEFT]Tuc

I am not sure the exact reason why they(GARMIN) limit the number of maps able to be loaded onto a card, but I have several ideas.
The first is the ability of the software to handle such a large array in an efficient manner, meaning that the programming would be exponentially slower above a certain point when trying to read, start-up or calculate things. The ability and power of the GPS processor would impose a limit at some point also.
Another is a matter of transfer speed, especially when using the GPS as the loader/reader of data through USB connections; which are still rather slow compared to direct transfer from HD to memory card.
I was using a card reader to transfer the data then install it into the GPS and for some reason it wouldn't load go past the startup screen when I truned it on. I assumed it was because it was struggling to load the maps.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 AM

You can pick up i gig cards at extra foods photolab for $7.99