Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Default Using peep site

I recently inherited my great grandpas old hunting rifle and I want to use it as my “go-to” but I have a few questions. There is a rear peep site and the marking on top are for windage, the ones in the side are elevation. Does anyone have a idea on what the 0-175 markings are for? I assume it isn’t yardage? Any info would be greatly appreciated I am having a hard time finding black and white info online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59DADC51-A510-43B7-9E61-BB4866B1F6D2.jpg (28.0 KB, 149 views)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=Maxwell87;3925703]I recently inherited my great grandpas old hunting rifle and I want to use it as my “go-to” but I have a few questions. There is a rear peep site and the marking on top are for windage, the ones in the side are elevation. Does anyone have a idea on what the 0-175 markings are for? I assume it isn’t yardage? Any info would be greatly appreciated I am having a hard time finding black and white info
You hafta shoot it and calibrate it yourself most peeps are not even made for a particular rifle so you must figure it out. I have seveal peeps the marks only mean what i found out they mean. They could represent a certain amount of angular change with a certain length barrel but i would not bother with that. It would help if you said what the rifle was so someone could say if that peep was made for that rifle
Old 02-05-2019, 12:53 PM

The scale is a vernier scale.
Is that sight a Lyman or a Parker?
Cat
Old 02-05-2019, 01:13 PM

The marks and numbers on this sight are not yardage markers, they are strictly reference numbers. They are useful for returning to an original setting after moving the sight up or down for zero at longer or shorter distance. There are some open sights that are marked in yards, mostly on ex military battle rifles.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM

Thank you for the reply’s, it is a Winchester model 54, I assumed I would halfto shoot some rounds and try to zero it myself going by how the site appears to work. I just wasn’t sure if there was some general information or rules to the markings! I have had it out already and tried to play with the adjustable dial a bit.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:37 PM

I should have recognized the rifle immediately from the receiver!
I am pretty sure it’s a Lyman sight .
Cat
Old 02-05-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I should have recognized the rifle immediately from the receiver!
I am pretty sure it’s a Lyman sight .
Cat
Yup, Lyman 48
Cat
Old 02-05-2019, 10:48 PM

It is a Lyman sight. I had exactly the same setup on my Lee-Enfield. Dean2 is correct as to the purpose of the markings. If you are planning to shoot it, set it up at the desired range, record the settings, and then test at other ranges to determine the rise/fall.

Vic
Old 02-06-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell87 View Post
I recently inherited my great grandpas old hunting rifle and I want to use it as my “go-to” but I have a few questions. There is a rear peep site and the marking on top are for windage, the ones in the side are elevation. Does anyone have a idea on what the 0-175 markings are for? I assume it isn’t yardage? Any info would be greatly appreciated I am having a hard time finding black and white info online.
Nice classic set-up!