Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Default Dogs the REALLY like to chew

My previous Spaniel broke both her canines working on bones. Now my current Spaniel is destroying toys ( 1 year old pup ) like no tomorrow and I am nervous giving her a bone. Now I’m at a loss as to what to do? I don’t like the raw hide type chews as they actually scare me for a chocking hazard. The nylon chews just get chewed up and come the other end in rainbow colours and rope toys become tug a-war at the exit end.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Dodger
Old 04-17-2019, 08:15 PM

Thumbs up KONG for the win

We have found that the size/weight appropriate KONG chew toys and balls stand up well to vigorous chewers. Hard rubber compounds are safe on the teeth. Red is tough, black is tougher.
Dexter's over in Ogden had a good selection.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 PM

Just accept the fact that toys are going to get destroyed. Better the toy than the furniture!

If you dig around there are some toys that claim to be indestructible, but they all meet their end eventually.

That said my wife ordered up some toys for our dogs from a website. Bullymake I believe. Those things seem to be holding up.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:28 PM

I gave my Shepherds and Springers moose antler to chew on. It's softer than bone and doesn't come off in sharp pieces. It gets soft and seems to flake off. Never had any digestive issues. Tried elk as well, but dogs seem to prefer moose as they got older. Only caution is that you cut the tip off the tines, back to where they can't be bitten off whole and become a plug in the dogs throat. Lots of hours of chewing on a good size moose or elk antler.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 PM

I’ll second the antlers.. I have a 6 month old DD and she chewed all Kong toys
Old 04-17-2019, 10:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Mine get cow knuckle bones. They are raw of course and very substantial. I've never had an issue yet, I tried the kongs and antlers etc, but he dogs ignore them after a few minutes.

I took the dogs for a run to a slough at the back of the farm One of them found a dinosaur bone that has been there for years. It might as well have been a dino bone the way she treasured it.

Had a lab that was a rock hound. He literally bought hundreds of stones to the house over the years. By the time he passed he had broken or worn down a few teeth.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-18-2019, 07:49 AM

My 20lb goldendoodle couldn't handle elk antlers so she would just ignore them. We've been giving her a steady supply of bully-sticks since she was a pup. They are expensive, but better that than chewing everything in the house. You can usually get a better price (like 1/2 price) if you buy directly from the maker. We've tried a few places but Aron Pet Food is by far the best... they have the most consistent sizes and have never made my dog's sensitive stomache upset. My vet also says my dogs teeth are in great shape for her age too, which I think is the bully-sticks. They moved to High Prairie within the last year from BC.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 AM

We have a subscription box for our 2 coons. Every month we get a "BULLYBOX". Its shoebox sized and has 2 kong type chews, 2 hard nylon chews a rope or something else and 2 bags of training treats. With new toys coming in we can cull the 6-8 month old toys for new. They carry a 1 month warranty and so far we have replaced 3 toys in 2 years without issue. just send them a picture and they mailed out replacements.