Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2011, 07:02 PM

Default Braided Lines

So I'm having some incredibly frustrating problems with braided lines. I picked up a spool of Suffix 832 on Friday and, due to a series of backlashes and subsequent birds nests, it's gone. Other than this, I loved the sensitivity and strength this line provided. But 20 bucks every 5 days of fishing isn't exactly sustainable for me.

So I figured before I go out and pick up another spool of braid, I'd ask and see if someone else has had this problem and managed to fix it. My friend has also gone through a massive amount of line in a very short time using a mixture of Fireline, Power Pro and Suffix. It has to be something I/we are doing wrong.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 PM

What type/model of reel do you use?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
So I'm having some incredibly frustrating problems with braided lines. I picked up a spool of Suffix 832 on Friday and, due to a series of backlashes and subsequent birds nests, it's gone. Other than this, I loved the sensitivity and strength this line provided. But 20 bucks every 5 days of fishing isn't exactly sustainable for me.

So I figured before I go out and pick up another spool of braid, I'd ask and see if someone else has had this problem and managed to fix it. My friend has also gone through a massive amount of line in a very short time using a mixture of Fireline, Power Pro and Suffix. It has to be something I/we are doing wrong.

Any help would be great, thanks.
you were a good baitcast fisherman prior to going braid?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 PM

The reel is a Shimano spinning reel but I don't know the model off hand.

To answer you Chub, I had very very few tangles while fishing mono. I finished the day yesterday with my girlfriend's rod that was in the trunk after mine ran out of line and never had a tangle.

So something just occured to me...is braided line a bad idea on a spinning reel???
Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 PM

carterM,
It is hard to say what is going on without seeing first hand HOW you use your reel/line. I have never had any problems with braid on spinning reels but I try to pay attention during every retrieve on how the line is winding on the spool. I use everything from 10 to 50 lb test, mostly Sufix Performance braid, PowerPro and lately Sufix 832.
I wish I could go fishing with you so I can be more helpful. I am in Calgary though... sorry
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishGuy07 View Post
carterM,
It is hard to say what is going on without seeing first hand HOW you use your reel/line. I have never had any problems with braid on spinning reels but I try to pay attention during every retrieve on how the line is winding on the spool. I use everything from 10 to 50 lb test, mostly Sufix Performance braid, PowerPro and lately Sufix 832.
I wish I could go fishing with you so I can be more helpful. I am in Calgary though... sorry
Well, I was just throwing spoons from shore at Wabamun. Just a straight cast and retrieve. I'd get stray loops and then I'd try to cast it out (I know better now, thanks Chub) and end up with the worst bloody birdsnest I'd ever seen.

I've only ever seen stray loops pop up if I'm reeling in slack line. But a #2 Len Thompson doesn't leave much slack
Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The reel is a Shimano spinning reel but I don't know the model off hand.

To answer you Chub, I had very very few tangles while fishing mono. I finished the day yesterday with my girlfriend's rod that was in the trunk after mine ran out of line and never had a tangle.

So something just occured to me...is braided line a bad idea on a spinning reel???
no....itsa good idea
but a couple thing make it tough to deal with
1 over filling the spool
2 rip retrieving can cause problems
3 filling small spools with heavy line can cause peeling too which ends in a fook up.

if you see a stray loop on your spool dont try cast it out...it will peel and cause a birdsnest most times.....hand pulll the line till the loop is out.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
no....itsa good idea
1 over filling the spool
3 filling small spools with heavy line can cause peeling too which ends in a fook up.

if you see a stray loop on your spool dont try cast it out...it will peel and cause a birdsnest most times.....hand pulll the line till the loop is out.
Well, I was still getting birdsnests when I only had enough line left for a cast plus about 20 yards so I don't think overfilling is the problem.

What is rip retrieving?? Just retrieving too fast?

I don't think the spool's too small. It gives yardages (as in the amount of line to spool onto it) for 8 through 12 lb test. I was using 10 so, it being so thin, I'd think it'd be too small if anything, although that doens't really make sense.

As far as seeing stray loops, that's almost always what happens. I'm used to casting it out with mono so that's what I tried. Clearly...didn't work.

I've heard of the finer braids burying themselves in the spool if you snag/hook a fish and your drag is too tight. I loosened mine off alot but the problem won't go away
Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Well, I was still getting birdsnests when I only had enough line left for a cast plus about 20 yards so I don't think overfilling is the problem.

What is rip retrieving?? Just retrieving too fast?

I don't think the spool's too small. It gives yardages (as in the amount of line to spool onto it) for 8 through 12 lb test. I was using 10 so, it being so thin, I'd think it'd be too small if anything, although that doens't really make sense.

As far as seeing stray loops, that's almost always what happens. I'm used to casting it out with mono so that's what I tried. Clearly...didn't work.

I've heard of the finer braids burying themselves in the spool if you snag/hook a fish and your drag is too tight. I loosened mine off alot but the problem won't go away
thats what ripretrieving does it trenches the line....then the trenched line peels the line off the spool from the inner winds. The stop and go with heavy lures causes a inconsistant wrap. This can be solved some what with a stiffer rod. The floppy soft rods actually make matters worst

the big loop comes from excessive slack when you engage the reel. a common problem with reels with no backstop.
as a experiment hand engage your bail....i almost always do...its a habit from the days went bail springs used to break often
Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
no....itsa good idea
1 over filling the spool

to add onto chubbs post try taking off all the line and spooling it alot tighter.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
to add onto chubbs post try taking off all the line and spooling it alot tighter.
Ya I thought that was possibly the problem. The line is all off already...in big balls in the garbage

I spliced some more line onto the stuff I had on the reel yesterday with a blood knot. That extra stuff was spooled on good and tight and it still happened. I had my friend hold the spool tight while I reeled it on. It was tight enough that the rod was bent.