Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM

Exclamation Sylvan shack break-in's

Just read on the Red Deer Advocate site that some ice huts were broken into New Years Eve night. Just wondering if any members on here were victims? Didn't this happen out there last year? This is why i lock mine up!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM

It happens every year at Sylvan, locks only keep the honest people out . Best practice is to not leave anything of value in the shack.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:20 PM

People should leave there shanty unlocked and leave nothing in there.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:07 PM

Default why

Why should people leave THEIR shacks unlocked and empty? I built my shack, no one made it for me. Why should i pack my stuff evertime? Sorry but I disagree, break and enter counts for ice huts too! The RCMP is investigating this matter. If someone wants a shack to use, rent one, or get to know someone with one and maybe they will lend it out. Or build one like the rest of us did.
Thats my rant for today, thanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Someone should come up with a contraption that is some kind of security system for shacks. Something that gives you a zap through the handle of the door and sets off some flashing lights and loud alarm unless you are the person with the remote. Something like a key fob for a vehicle that you can alarm it or shut it off with the push of a button on a remote.

I would be pretty ****ed if I put all that time and effort into building something that my family and friends are suppose to enjoy and have it broken into and wrecked and all my stuff stolen.

Like mentioned before, there is no reason someone should have to clean out their permanent shack and leave it unlocked to avoid having it wrecked or stolen.

Nate
Old 01-07-2011, 02:16 PM

You are right, but locks only keep out the undetermined criminals, it's sad. Every year shacks are ran over, smashed into, destroyed, etc. Just stay in it the whole winter, and when people try to break in, deal with them. XD

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 01-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Thumbs down Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by latenite View Post
Why should people leave THEIR shacks unlocked and empty? I built my shack, no one made it for me. Why should i pack my stuff evertime? Sorry but I disagree, break and enter counts for ice huts too! The RCMP is investigating this matter. If someone wants a shack to use, rent one, or get to know someone with one and maybe they will lend it out. Or build one like the rest of us did.
X2
Yeh I hear you but it is cheaper to leave the ice hut open and remove your contents. My neighbor has an old van that he has left unlocked. In the summer time thieves went into the van looking to steal stuff and when they were done there was no damage. It is a sign of changing times.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 PM

did the guy who had a converted rv trailer/shack on sylvan ever get his shack back?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM

Default Sylvan

Quote:
Just read on the Red Deer Advocate site that some ice huts were broken into New Years Eve night. Just wondering if any members on here were victims? Didn't this happen out there last year? This is why i lock mine up!
Did they mention or does anyone know the location of the break-ins?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Oh don't worry I agree with you, if you spend the time and money to build something it is yours to enjoy... but lets be smart about it. Thieves and losers are out there and ice huts are easy prey. I'm guessing most people that break into shacks arn't even anglers their just A-holes looking for gear to sell. I wouldn't leave mine unlocked either but I'm certainly not going to leave a new auger or flasher sitting in their. I'll replace the 5 dollar lock but I don't want to have to replace the gear.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM

I live in Saskatoon, blackstrap is a lake about 25 minutes south of town. A few buddies and I had a shack there for about 10 years. We had our shack broken into so many times. Sometimes every time we went someone had smashed the lock off! Like 10x a year! And for what some candles and a few beer cans? Anyway, I decided to put a deadbolt in the door, the next week some fornicator smashed a hole through the wall to unlock the deadbolt!! After that we just used a piece of wood to turn to hold the door shut and after that season, never went back. I have 3 shacks that I can use, all of them unlocked, the only problem we ever have is some idiot using it and just drilling the holes in our old ones without moving it or shoveling the slush away,so we come and the shack is frozen in. 6" of ice. We have pondered leaving a few screws in some slush in our holes, but, unfortunately sometimes legit people phone to ask if they can use it( we have to have the owners address and phone number on the shacks in sask.). I have lost 2stoves from thieves ( only screwed down, now we use carriage bolts!) and have friends who have lost entire shacks to thieves, one was 8'x8'x8!!! Most places where people leave their shacks over summer get broken into too. Some people have them locked up tight and cover the windows so nobody can see in or break them, but, the thieves tip them over to look into the holes, to see what's inside,then break into them. I don't even care anymore, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do, I dont leave anything worth taking. Maybe if people quit locking,and leaving anything in their shacks people would quit breaking in? I know what this sounds like, but it works for me. I know this sounds passive, but if I ever find one of my stoves( built by a buddy) or see someone breaking into one, I will do something.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Wow again @ sylvan? Wats with that lake? I'm certain it happens everywhere that has humans. Could be the same bunch who rammed in to the shacks last year.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Sushi, they caught the group who broke into approx 22 shacks the first time--early in the new year--but I am not sure they caught the ones who vandalized shacks at year end when fishers were taking shacks off the ice. I just checked with my son who has one on the lake and he said his is fine. He was in there on Tuesday. BEL
Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...topic=164729.0
Old 01-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Stupid people what if someone was staying over night in one of there shelters that they drove into. I want to build a shelter but I dont think i will cause this seems to happen often. Its too bad people can't just enjoy some fishing without getting robbed !!!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 PM

It's a disgrace when people break into shacks. I haven't locked mine in 5 years on sylvan and people have been in there but never did any damage. It's the guys who think there is stuff inside your shanty that break in. They usually poke there head in and see an empty Shanty and screw off. Keep locking your doors and expect people to kick your door down. If i see anybody doing that sort of activity they will be very sorry. I'll keep an eye on everyone's property.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I had my shack busted into last year they dam near ripped the door off along with the lock and latch, they stole everything , now I pack up everything and take it home every night, sucks but what so you do, OH I KNOW someone should make an example of the culprets maybe then things might change
Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
did the guy who had a converted rv trailer/shack on sylvan ever get his shack back?
When was the trailer stolen, cause i've got a trailer out there hope it wasn't mine
Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Some people think i'm crazy for telling people to leave there door open...But usually when people break in they kick the door so hard they break the framing around the door and everything else. I will continue to keep my door unlocked.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:28 PM

I hear you Mr. Pike. I used to live in Kenosee Lake and although we never had any problems there (likely because the fishing there was terrible!). Fishing at the Moosomin Dam was a different story though. Had one shanty rigged up real nice, and we packed the expensive gear out every time we used it. That shack got smashed up, dragged around the lake like some kind of joke, tipped over the works. Seemed to spend more time getting set back up out there and repairing things than I did fishing. The last straw was when it got torched... That's right, someone burned it up like firewood right on the lake. Not sure who had a beef but it wasn't just our shack that got destroyed, there were several others too.

After that, Wife bought me a Clam fold up shack for Christmas. It folds up nice like a sled and I can walk anywhere with it. All my gear and auger straps on top no problem and all. I still liked my shanty better, but never again...

Like to come up on these guys that do this stuff. They'd wish they'd have not been in the area. Would be a LONG week chained in the ice shanty with no one knowing where they were. Kind of a catch and release whenever.....
Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM

if you guys are wondering how it is it is someone under 18 nd goes to my old school he did it with a bunch of ppl from red deer just for fun and money making unfornatley i know them.....but yes you should take all of your stuff out of your ice sheds and lock the dooors beacuse when i was fishing at the peir ice fishing with that wooden shed on the west side of the peir. someone didnt know i was fishing in there because i am a stealthy fisherman but he kept on jerking on the door and let me me tell you i was just as scared as he way when i opened the door i listend fr a bit and he said hmm mabe its just frozen so he got his 8 year old kid to get him his prybar. so i open the door and i swear that guy ****ed himself LOL i gladley opened the door and they left after an hour but the net day i found all my holes fovered with 2x4s so i couldnt even drill the holes out again and it was froze in theer good. ppl if they just knock first...
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 PM

i also had my ice hooks stolen but no biggy just some quick strike rigs and some tip ups and some rods with my whitefish hooks......i bought a big foo tipup now and take it everytime aswell as my hooks
Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 PM

I had a shack 8x16 on the lake, left a car cd player 2 6x9 speakers a small 8" sub under the bench a wood stove, an amp to run it all and a big 12v black light, our door was partially broken off the hinges so we left it, anyone could just push it open and check stuff out, never had anything bad but a few beer cans left for a whole season.. this wasn't last winter the one before at sylvan, neighbors locked up like fort knox had tons of issues. one guy was on here last year showing his shack after some ******** rammed it with his truck... I'd love to leave what looks like something expensive in a shack with a gps tracker inside of it... say an underwater camera or radio... look up the coordinates after it's stolen, go there and help them with a soup diet for the next 3 months.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Banned

Default Rig it up with an old shotgun

to blast the turds right in the guts--it will serve them right.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 PM
lemmotlow

last year my shack was used by other folks that i did not know i put a lock on and they left it alone . The many trapper cabins in this area are never locked, its a crap shoot i guess.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 PM

They ramed my shack out of RR 23 last year it got wrecked. Put a new shack out this year the same place but i have a 7 ft + 6 ft hole in it.That should swallow up a truck if someone decides to hit it and i took some 8 inch spikes and froze them in all the way around the shack should be good for a flat tire or two . Im ready this for ya this year!!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 PM

Default I hear ya

I admit that to lock up only incites the criminal element to do their dastardly deeds. I have had my shack at Gull Lake the past 2 years, locked, and never had an issue. There is always a first time I guess. Man this really makes me want to sell my shanty and get a pop up! To the member that posted he knew the guys who did it, man up and turn them in, one day it might be your hut, car, house....
Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
so he got his 8 year old kid to get him his prybar.
Got his 8 year old kid involved in a break-in? Wow what on earth is this world coming to??? Teaching kids to steal at an early age huh.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD HAMMER View Post
They ramed my shack out of RR 23 last year it got wrecked. Put a new shack out this year the same place but i have a 7 ft + 6 ft hole in it.That should swallow up a truck if someone decides to hit it and i took some 8 inch spikes and froze them in all the way around the shack should be good for a flat tire or two . Im ready this for ya this year!!!!
LOL nice keep us posted!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD HAMMER View Post
you parked north of a old holiday trailer