Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM

delete i know ythe answer its illegal my bad sorry
Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 PM

Where is it illegal to shoot crows?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailman View Post
delete i know ythe answer its illegal my bad sorry
Maybe if your doing it in town limits...........joke.

Crows are considered a pest like gophers. No season, no bag limit.
Just a heck of a lot of fun.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 PM

serious i am getting told its illegal......
Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailman View Post
serious i am getting told its illegal......
Totaly legal in good old Alberta....u are in province?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

By who? The regs say you can use an Electric call for them. Shoot away.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM

Crows are not illegal from the best of my knowledge. In some jurisdictions it is illegal to shoot ravens (I know this is true in B.C. not sure about Alberta). Ravens are a native species and crows are introduced, so make sure you know which is which. Crows are considered a pest, so I believe there is no problem province-wide, barring any other restrictions. You could always phone a fish and wildlife office for absolute clarification.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
and crows are introduced,
I think your wrong, Crows are native to the Americas.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 PM

I stand corrected. Crows are native too. I guess in my upbringing in the land of British Columbia, where tree huggers infect your brain with misinformation and half-truths, I heard wrong. Somewhere long ago I was told crows are OK and ravens are not to be shot; now I will have to go on a fact finding mission in the B.C. hunting regs.

All in all, its irrelevant as that is B.C and this is Alberta; shoot all the crows you want!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 PM

My understanding is that you can blast away at crows or magpies but not ravens. Ravens are native to this land, magpies are not. I'm not sure whether the crow is native or not. I have watched them disapear into a cloud of feathers for raiding our chicken pen when I was younger. The do make quite the racket when their buddies vanish!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 PM

Crows are not protected and hunting them is not regulated in Alberta.Ravens can be killed on private land.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsman View Post
My understanding is that you can blast away at crows or magpies but not ravens. Ravens are native to this land, magpies are not. I'm not sure whether the crow is native or not. I have watched them disapear into a cloud of feathers for raiding our chicken pen when I was younger. The do make quite the racket when their buddies vanish!
You can shoot ravens on private land in AB, and magpies like the crow are native to the Americas.

The only birds introduced here that will be found in Alberta are the rock dove (pigeon), english sparrow, starling, hungarian partrige, and ring necked pheasant to my knowledge.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 PM

so my laast question.. can u shoot crows? ahah
Old 05-17-2010, 09:37 PM

Default crows

Crows and magpies, only illegal within city limits ..... unfortunately ....... although some do mysteriously fall out of trees & off roofs Guess that's maybe why pellet guns were invented
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 PM

I stand further corrected on my knowledge of hunting crows and ravens in B.C. But as I suspected, there is a special provision for ravens. I guess I had it backwards. The raven is open season and the crows you need a hunting license for them(but this is only B.C. only you don't need a hunting license for unregulated game in Alberta). I copied and pasted the regulations in B.C. that deal with crows and ravens.

From the B.C. hunting regulations:

Schedule "C" animals can be captured
or killed anywhere and at any time in BC.
Schedule “C” birds may be hunted using elec-
tronic calls. You do not need a hunting licence
to hunt or kill the following
Schedule “C” wildlife:

You do need a hunting licence to hunt the
following Schedule “C” wildlife UNLESS you
are hunting them on your property or they are
damaging your property:
(a) all species of the genus Corvus - crows,
except Corvus corax - common raven
(b) Pica pica - black-billed magpie

It is unlawful

3. to possess or wantonly take, injure or
destroy a bird, egg, or the nest of a bird
except those designated by regulations,
(ie: crows, house sparrows, cowbirds,
magpies, rock doves or European star-
lings or their egg or nest).

Last edited by Erik; 05-17-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: copy and paste messed up -corrected
Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Crows and magpies, only illegal within city limits ..... unfortunately ....... although some do mysteriously fall out of trees & off roofs Guess that's maybe why pellet guns were invented
I always thought they had a special moment and it was the fall that killed them when they fell out of the tree and forgot they could fly in the city
Old 05-18-2010, 01:27 PM

It is illegal to SHOOT crows/magpies in the CITY LIMITS.
But if the babies get close enough while I have a rake or shovel in my hand, well....accidents do happen

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBrain View Post
It is illegal to SHOOT crows/magpies in the CITY LIMITS.
But if the babies get close enough while I have a rake or shovel in my hand, well....accidents do happen
So I'll expose my ignorance and ask.... what exactly is the problem posed by crows? I would expect that if they are native and around that they serve some ecological purpose.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:57 PM

Default Yes once again you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So I'll expose my ignorance and ask.... what exactly is the problem posed by crows? I would expect that if they are native and around that they serve some ecological purpose.
So are mice have you ever considered them a pest and eliminated them? They rip into my garbage all the time and spread it around the alley, as well they harass and kill the songbirds. Good enough reason for me!
Old 05-18-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I have never witnessed it myself but I have been told by a cattle rancher that crows and ravens can and will kill new born calfs just after they're born. Apparently they go after the eyes and the O ring. If it's true, it's a terrible way to go.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
I have never witnessed it myself but I have been told by a cattle rancher that crows and ravens can and will kill new born calfs just after they're born. Apparently they go after the eyes and the O ring. If it's true, it's a terrible way to go.
if true, have to agree.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Hey Okotokian, I live in Claresholm and we have a heck of a time with them here. They set up in your trees (sometimes up to and over 25-30 of them) at 0400 hrs in the AM and start screamimg at each other. Not chirping, but OMG screeching and and brutal squawking. They kill the baby songbirds by pushing the eggs and the young ones out of the nests. They are an aggressive bird and not well liked here.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM

I hunted with a farmer last year who dumped his gun shooting at a couple of crows that were tailing some big canadas. When i asked him why, he cursed for 2 minutes straight then spat on the ground....i explained the calf situation, the god awful noise they make, and their taste for song birds.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:55 PM

Maybe crows, but I draw the line at ravens- my absolute favorite bird. They can live to be 20, show significant intelligence, and exhibit play behaviour - I can sit on a mountainside and watch them goof around in the thermals for hours. Also - they have often led me to where the moose are bedded

Ravens and coyotes have an interesting relationship - and a schmucked coyote will draw in ravens from miles around. The big birds hop around and are super excited over a coyote carcass - preferring it to deer carcasses or anything else. Coyote meat seems like catnip to ravens - don't know why.

To a lesser degree, I find the same thing with magpies and deer. If I come across a big opening and there's magpies playing around in one corner - that's where I'll look for deer first.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=thumper;590306] They can live to be 20, show significant intelligence, and exhibit play behaviour - - QUOTE]

I believe they can live to be twice that and they look quite stunning mounted
Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 PM

I've seen them harass bald eagles. Two or three crows will dive bomb/tail an eagle to either steal fish or just for the 'fun' of it. They can be extremely cruel birds when they desire. They are also incredibly intelligent and very plucky. They use to outsmart (not incredibly hard to do with the characters I worked with) a team of deckhands at the fishing lodge I worked at and would often be found gorging themselves on salmon eyes/scaps.

Should you witness the injury or death of a crow in the company of other crows you will be treated to the most awful blood-curdling shrieks ever heard. No sound has ever disturbed me more than 100 crows calling out to their brethren in distress. A truly haunting experience, something very Hitchcock-esque.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM

When I was in Inuvik, I used to watch the same three Ravens get filled on dog food every day. Two of the Ravens would distract the Husky, who's dogfood dish it was, while the third one had his fill. Then they would switch positions, and the next one would eat while the other two distracted the dog. This continued until all three had had their fill. They would stay just out of reach of the dog, who was chained, and drive him insane. I used this as cheap entertainment every day and lmao. One of the birds gave me a heart attack almost every morning because he would walk down the roof of my mobile home (tin roof) and drag his claws. I swear to God it sounded like Freddie Kruger was coming to get you.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker View Post
When I was in Inuvik, I used to watch the same three Ravens get filled on dog food every day. Two of the Ravens would distract the Husky, who's dogfood dish it was, while the third one had his fill. Then they would switch positions, and the next one would eat while the other two distracted the dog. This continued until all three had had their fill. They would stay just out of reach of the dog, who was chained, and drive him insane. I used this as cheap entertainment every day and lmao.

Now imagine this scenario, but replace the dog with two deckhands working at a fishing lodge. I would watch them from the second story and laugh.