Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Default What happened to Jiffy?

I remember back when I was a young pup that pretty much all the ice augers I'd see we're Jiffy's, and it seemed like they always work great. Heck, my dad still has his which is likely nearly as old as I am.

Seems like these days the reputation of Jiffy has really tanked, with lower quality products, and poor customer service.

So what happened? Different management? Were they bought out by somebody else? Are they just being too cheap in trying to make a buck?

All I can say at this point is that they are the one brand of auger I would avoid buying.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-17-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I remember back when I was a young pup that pretty much all the ice augers I'd see we're Jiffy's, and it seemed like they always work great. Heck, my dad still has his which is likely nearly as old as I am.

Seems like these days the reputation of Jiffy has really tanked, with lower quality products, and poor customer service.

So what happened? Different management? Were they bought out by somebody else? Are they just being too cheap in trying to make a buck?

All I can say at this point is that they are the one brand of auger I would avoid buying.
X2

I have had 2 issues with my Eskimo, But they have always fixed my issues , and added in extras just to make me even happier.. Eskimo has won back my next Auger purchase !

Im not sure why Jiffy is going downhill, but your comment about making a buck is the only thing that makes sense to me !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Banned

Rapala/Normark must have bought them like everything else.. the sad truth of "super companies".. like everything these days.. quality is just ****.

BTW Badass you're 2 ply bud!! bahahaha
Old 12-17-2014, 11:54 AM

got my model 30 about 7 yrs ago, I think yr after they sold to another company, but yes definitely cheaper made and not as reliable...
Iv had no issues except for when I first bought it, the carb was set for the sea level where its made, shipped up to canada where elevation is higher the carb needs to be adjusted for our altitude, jiffy got my auger adjusted at ritchie's a jiffy dealer back then, no cost for adjustment, and has been trouble free since gas treatment in fuel after winter and and fires up no issues when ice comes...
Old 12-17-2014, 12:51 PM

cost cutting in an ever more competitive market.

people want the best until its time to get off the wallet...then they run to next cheapest option.

People complain about plastic parts, offshore made blades...poor service etc etc...but want the lowest prices...cant have it both ways.

we all asked for this.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post

people want the best until its time to get off the wallet...then they run to next cheapest option.

People complain about plastic parts, offshore made blades...poor service etc etc...but want the lowest prices...cant have it both ways.

we all asked for this.
Bingo.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:

we all asked for this.
Maybe its just me but forking over half a paycheck or more for a product with way below grade plastic parts designed for some tropical country instead of the climate they are sold to be used in isnt something I asked for. Companies are going to find out eventually that maybe profit isnt everything when sales bottom out because people drop their products for someone elses . Only so many first and only time buyers out there. No wonder jiffy has zero customer service, they couldnt afford to cover all the crappy parts that break on their augers!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Banned

I used one of those new jiffy's last year, broke pull handle first pull in -20... just garbage. You wonder why you see everyone trying to buy 10 year old jiffys!!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:24 PM

When tecesumeh went under it forced them to re-vamp thier auger and while doing this went to cheaper materials and engines that dont run worth a dang.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Maybe its just me but forking over half a paycheck or more for a product with way below grade plastic parts designed for some tropical country instead of the climate they are sold to be used in isnt something I asked for. Companies are going to find out eventually that maybe profit isnt everything when sales bottom out because people drop their products for someone elses . Only so many first and only time buyers out there. No wonder jiffy has zero customer service, they couldnt afford to cover all the crappy parts that break on their augers!
ill admit im generalizing.

I dont have a ton of experience with any augers made in the past 15 years.

But the ones i have looked at and few that ive tried all seem to suffer from the same cost cutting quality issues jiffy is guilty of these days.

If the best thing you can say about a product is the company fixed it when the crap parts broke....Thats worth something i guess...but not much IMO

This obviously applies to much more than just augers...as i already said...i was generalizing.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Banned

Cool

Investors returns .... should have honda , yanmar, sthil or other world class power . But they dont cause cost per unot goes up??? Mine says union made in the usa ..that doesn't happen any more so we get what we asked for walmart class junk. Hey the new ones are cheap....the first time round .
Old 12-17-2014, 05:37 PM

i've had my jiffy model 30 for 12+ years and still works great. i have heard some company makes a kit that you can convert a chainsaw to a power head to replace the typical ice auger.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:

we all asked for this.
Exactly. Couldn't agree more. We also ask for it when we demand lighter augers. Best way to make them lighter is to use more plastics.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post
Exactly. Couldn't agree more. We also ask for it when we demand lighter augers. Best way to make them lighter is to use more plastics.
my propane weighs as much as a volkswagon beetle after Ive dragged it half way across the lake, dont think the crappy plastic parts cut much off that.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-17-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:

I see nothing wrong with Jiffy at all best peanut butter you can get have it on my toast every morning

Mack
Old 12-18-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
This is pretty much how I look at it as well. Jiffy used to be on top of the heap, but they're getting themselves such a poor reputation that eventually sales are going to tank and they're going to be on the bottom of the pile.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
I see nothing wrong with Jiffy at all best peanut butter you can get have it on my toast every morning

Mack
That's Jif Mack...Jif

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-18-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
When tecesumeh went under it forced them to re-vamp thier auger and while doing this went to cheaper materials and engines that dont run worth a dang.
This. Then followed the worst product support and customer service in the industry.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
That's Jif Mack...Jif
Ohhhh ya guess I need new glasses

But their popcorn is good ..right?

Mack
Old 12-18-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Ohhhh ya guess I need new glasses

But their popcorn is good ..right?

Mack
This is true...love making Jiffy Pop while out camping

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-18-2014, 12:24 PM

Could this be an opportunity for a consumer to develop a power ice auger that meets the gold standard of quality & operation, with outstanding service to match?

West Jet achieved this in the aviation world, beginning with the vision of one man who believed there is a better way to deliver quality service with a decent price.

How many power ice auger manufacturers are there in the market today?

Jiffy
Eskimo
Strikemaster
Ion
Husqvarna
Clam
HT

In addition to power heads which can be used for earth and ice:

Stihl
Tanaka
Viper
Echo
Badger
Efco
Earthquake/Ardisam (does this model look familiar?)
Mitsubishi
& many various models from Asia

This could be an opportunity for an enterprising group to design and develop an ice auger that will meet the needs of a rugged outdoorsman. The problem lies in competition as Jamie Black R/T already said.

Consumers want the product cheaper, lighter and more dependable. With public companies continually driving to lower costs while increasing sales - to appease the bottom line toting shareholders, there isn't much room left for quality.

Who's up for the challenge?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:46 PM

All i know is that when my model 30 ever blows up it will be the last Jiffy i ever own !!!!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
All i know is that when my model 30 ever blows up it will be the last Jiffy i ever own !!!!!!
Guys laying on a beach in Mexico talking about ice augers. Knew you would miss winter! Other than a couple plastic part issues and zero customer service I do like my propane. Starts right now, and with sharp blades all I have to do is aim it and it drills by itself. New jiffy workout is carrying it out on the lake instead of yanking the starter cord for 10 minutes.still going to be my last jiffy though because of the nonexistant customer servicd if nothing else

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Could this be an opportunity for a consumer to develop a power ice auger that meets the gold standard of quality & operation, with outstanding service to match?

West Jet achieved this in the aviation world, beginning with the vision of one man who believed there is a better way to deliver quality service with a decent price.

How many power ice auger manufacturers are there in the market today?

Jiffy
Eskimo
Strikemaster
Ion
Husqvarna
Clam
HT

In addition to power heads which can be used for earth and ice:

Stihl
Tanaka
Viper
Echo
Badger
Efco
Earthquake/Ardisam (does this model look familiar?)
Mitsubishi
& many various models from Asia

This could be an opportunity for an enterprising group to design and develop an ice auger that will meet the needs of a rugged outdoorsman. The problem lies in competition as Jamie Black R/T already said.

Consumers want the product cheaper, lighter and more dependable. With public companies continually driving to lower costs while increasing sales - to appease the bottom line toting shareholders, there isn't much room left for quality.

Who's up for the challenge?
think about it daily.

btw, badger is jiffy, and jiffy is owned by the feldmann family who started the company.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
think about it daily.

btw, badger is jiffy, and jiffy is owned by the feldmann family who started the company.
And Eskimo and Ion are both Ardisam

Really there are a lot of good units already out there, depending on the prove point you're willing to pay.

Jiffy's aren't priced significantly lower than a lot of other augers out there...So where's the savings?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-18-2014, 10:37 PM

I bought my Jiffy the year after they switched over to the new Engine and all the old ones were getting blown out. I compared the visible quality differences in the new and old models and it was a no brainer. Mine has never let me down and this is the 4th season I have used it now. It doesn't start on the first pull, probably takes 5-10 pulls. But I will take that over a newer inferior product that brakes once it gets cold out. Plastic and cold don't mix.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:53 PM

Last edited by Wes_G; 12-18-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: double post