Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
If you want to be a real stickler it is illegal to throw anything that gives off scent/flavour that attracts fish into a lake unless it is attached to a hook(that is how the actual law is written). That means if you throw leftover minnows in the lake when done fishing, guts after cleaning fish, juice/pop you don't feel like drinking, lunch leftovers you don't want to eat, fruit peels and much more then you are actually breaking the law... I am guessing most if not all of us on here have broken this ambiguous law at one point or another...

My point is that if you happened to be checked by a CO while cleaning a fish and throwing guts down the hole while still fishing I doubt anything would happen...
Not being a stickler. Just going by what you said in your first post.
I think that would be a direct challenge to most F&W Officers or CO's.

Wanna bet? JK LOL I would like to see you get out of that.

ps Not trying to challenge your authority.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:25 PM

So what is "worse": I catch a fish and put the entrails back into the lake as a micro-nutrient source or I release a fish that I could have kept/killed and at some later date it dies of natural causes and the whole carcass goes to the bottom to decompose to nutrients. Either way I liken this debate to condemning a cigarette smoker for contributing to global climate change.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Doesn't have to be scented, to be considered chumming or littering for that matter.

This thread might prove useful:

Waste disposal in lakes
Littering no but chumming/bait use yes. The scent factor comes from the laws regarding bait use and are below for those interested.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...246/index.html

Quote:
“bait”
“bait” means a substance that attracts fish by scent or flavour and includes a lure to which scent or flavouring has been added. (appât)
Quote:
8. No person shall place or cause to be placed in any waters bait of any kind unless it is attached to a hook.
If you combine this with the environmental waste laws TFG posted it becomes pretty clear it is pretty much illegal to put anything in the water...

When it comes to putting guts down the hole and chumming the only way I actually see you getting into trouble is if you were to chop them into little pieces and dump them down a hole while a CO watches you...

And huntsfurfish I am not saying this to challenge CO's... I am saying it because CO's don't enforce a lot of these crazy ambigous laws... Much like your beloved culling lol... Use common sense and be respectful and it is highly unlikely you will get yourself into trouble in a situation like this. Or take a garbage bag and take the guts home with you, its really the only legal way to dispose of them and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a law against that...
Old 12-16-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Littering no but chumming/bait use yes. The scent factor comes from the laws regarding bait use and are below for those interested.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...246/index.html

If you combine this with the environmental waste laws TFG posted it becomes pretty clear it is pretty much illegal to put anything in the water...

When it comes to putting guts down the hole and chumming the only way I actually see you getting into trouble is if you were to chop them into little pieces and dump them down a hole while a CO watches you...

And huntsfurfish I am not saying this to challenge CO's... I am saying it because CO's don't enforce a lot of these crazy ambigous laws... Much like your beloved culling lol... Use common sense and be respectful and it is highly unlikely you will get yourself into trouble in a situation like this. Or take a garbage bag and take the guts home with you, its really the only legal way to dispose of them and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a law against that...

But... laws are crazy and ambiguous? Oh well.

Would still love to see you put it down a hole you are fishing in, and argue with a CO standing there. lol

Anyway, good luck out fishin!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 12-16-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
The question involved kicking the guts etc. down the hole, so yes I do think they will likely decompose.
Re-reading my post I guess it was unclear. I meant that if the guts were dropped back down the hole, I don't think they would sit there long enough to decompose, I would think they would be gobbled up PDQ.

I personally don't see it causing any detrimental effects, but if someone can prove otherwise I would reconsider doing it. Seems to me that organic waste from fishing is going to happen, whether it's guts from a harvested fish, lost bait, or even angler-caused fish mortality.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:12 PM

Default cleaning fish

on the ice not chumming. The plus is by the time you get home the ravens and gulls will have it gone. Unless of course they are already full from all the winter kill that's wasted from our fisheries people denying us the benefit of having a commercial fishery now that they've closed Alberta's commercial nets. And if your of the persausion that all the fish should be left for anglers and anglers alone then I'd like to know how you ethically justify 1000s of pounds of fish going strictly to the birds.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
on the ice not chumming. The plus is by the time you get home the ravens and gulls will have it gone. Unless of course they are already full from all the winter kill that's wasted from our fisheries people denying us the benefit of having a commercial fishery now that they've closed Alberta's commercial nets. And if your of the persausion that all the fish should be left for anglers and anglers alone then I'd like to know how you ethically justify 1000s of pounds of fish going strictly to the birds.
you have gulls in the winter? where do you see thousands of pounds of dead fish getting eaten by birds? just curious Id like to get some pictures of the birds. or the fish. maybe even both. or of people taking pictures of the people taking pictures.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-18-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
you have gulls in the winter?
Not all of Alberta's 12 species of Gulls migrate.

Of those species that do migrate, not all individuals migrate each year. Migration can be driven by age, sex, individual health and local conditions.

There are gulls around Edmonton all winter, albeit, in much reduced numbers.

Just thought I'd chirp in ........ one of my projects from back in the school days ..... makes me sound smart ......... and No I'm not going to go look for a Gull for a picture ......... I'm sure they are around some school yard somewhere at the lunch bell.

As a side note .... I agree with you ..... don't leave a gut pile ..... or a human poop for that matter, I tripped over a frozen log last season ..... thing came out of a giant and made my toe nail black and blue ....... someone needs to lay off the meat n' cheese up here.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 AM

I normally walk over to shore and gut my fish at shore. Most of the time, I'm not fishing in the middle of a lake... except chain :-)