Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-19-2014, 09:17 AM

Default Lowrance HDS Gen 3 Announced!

It's pretty incredible how far sonar technology has advanced, and it just keeps getting better.

These look like amazing units, I can't wait to see them in person.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-CA/Products/HDS-Gen3/

http://hdsgen3-web-1130552088.us-eas...amazonaws.com/
Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Looks nice but I am going to wait until they come out with a knock off of Humminbirds 360. Their spot light scan is a joke in comparison.

One question though is the CHIRP on the Gen 3 a full CHIRP or just Chirp light like on Raymarine's Dragon fly?

Last edited by cube; 12-19-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:57 AM

What new features or enhancements does it offer? Looks like there is a drag and drop windows / smart phone type menu ..... but what tangible improvements are there? (not being sarcastic just genuinely curious).
Old 12-19-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
What new features or enhancements does it offer? Looks like there is a drag and drop windows / smart phone type menu ..... but what tangible improvements are there? (not being sarcastic just genuinely curious).
here

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/HDS-Gen3/

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Looks nice but I am going to wait until they come out with a knock off of Humminbirds 360. Their spot light scan is a joke in comparison.

One question though is the CHIRP on the Gen 3 a full CHIRP or just Chirp light like on Raymarine's Dragon fly?
Advanced lake mapping is going to make the 360 of very little benefit. With the insight program, detailed lake maps will become better and better with time. The 360 will be a very expensive toy that wont add enough benefit for its cost.

they have it now, compatible with the gen 2 or gen 3 doesnt look like the same quality of 360 but its there

http://hdsgen3-web-1130552088.us-eas...amazonaws.com/

Last edited by Dan Foss; 12-23-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
Advanced lake mapping is going to make the 360 of very little benefit. With the insight program, detailed lake maps will become better and better with time. The 360 will be a very expensive toy that wont add enough benefit for its cost.
True ........ on your second trip (or subsequent trips) to the same area AND only if you mapped AND converted those files AND re-loaded them onto your head unit.

Advanced mapping capabilities will do squat for you if it's an area you haven't been before OR an area, as mentioned above, isn't loaded on your head unit.

360 has it's place for exploring new water and structure coming up ..... but I am happy with my conventional sonar and side imaging ..... I really don't "feel an urge" to get 360 ..... it doesn't add a whole lot in my opinion.

Maybe seeing "what's ahead of my line of drift or travel" might be cool but it's not that compelling for me to go out and drop big bucks on it.

I agree that mapping has been the much bigger innovation - but it's really two different animals in my opinion.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
True ........ on your second trip (or subsequent trips) to the same area AND only if you mapped AND converted those files AND re-loaded them onto your head unit.

Advanced mapping capabilities will do squat for you if it's an area you haven't been before OR an area, as mentioned above, isn't loaded on your head unit.

360 has it's place for exploring new water and structure coming up ..... but I am happy with my conventional sonar and side imaging ..... I really don't "feel an urge" to get 360 ..... it doesn't add a whole lot in my opinion.

Maybe seeing "what's ahead of my line of drift or travel" might be cool but it's not that compelling for me to go out and drop big bucks on it.

I agree that mapping has been the much bigger innovation - but it's really two different animals in my opinion.
Agreed for the most part. However, if you're on the insight community, some of that first trip gap is closed.

I edited my post, lowrance has a similar tech with the gen 3/gen 2 too. Called spotlight Haven't looked much into cost comparison.

Dont get me wrong, the 360 tech will still provide additional information, but not what its worth in cost IMO

Last edited by Dan Foss; 12-23-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:29 PM

Looks like I'll be upgrading my HDS touch units to the new G3's next spring. There seems to be quite an impressive list of improvements. Brighter screen, faster processor, native chirp, native Wi-Fi/bluetooth, 10 times per second GPS refresh rate, pinch to zoom and stand alone push button controls if needed. They have also come out with a new auto pilot that I intend to add for my 150 Verado as well as the new Motor guide electric. It's going to be costly!
I hope they've improved the way the units render the Insight Genesis mapping, but they seem to be hinting at that as well.