Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Gone Hunting

I dont like company on my hunts or fishing trips, like others. We need animals and fish acting like animals and fish to enjoy our time with them, what ever fashion that may be. Guys not respecting space are not welcomed. Guys roaring around on machines like idiots are in addition to all other issues, a major safety problem. I dont want to have to burn my outdoor time responding to an incident that was driven by stupidity any more that i want some idiot losing control of his machine and running into my boat, ice shack, parked vehicle etc etc. if guys want to kill or maim themselves they should stay out of peoples line of sight and go exercise thier dangerous and suicidal tendencies where its welcomed, at the race track or out of sight somewhere. Stupid arseholes...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-17-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Its called respect and for the most part alberta has none.
It's called perspective actually. Your perspective is respect towards you and you alone. But it is Albertan to b!tch and moan about it on social media
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
had a guy on a piped up mountain sled make several high speed passed within 20 yards of our pop up tent a few years ago...skis 3 feet off the ground kind of passed.

I finally came out of the tent to express my displeasure with him just in time to see the thing come apart and blow the hood off...sled came to screeching halt and rider took the handlebars in the ribs...almost went right over the front.

he walked back to shore to get his quad to come tow the sled in...got stuck 80 yards off shore with the quad....i saw both machines still there a week later

karma is rare...but sweet when you get to witness it in its pure awesomeness.
Karma is great sometimes.

I am not advocating for morons but just because someone does something you don't like, as long as it is legal I say suck it up princess.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Karma is great sometimes.

I am not advocating for morons but just because someone does something you don't like, as long as it is legal I say suck it up princess.
i agree im all for people enjoying what they enjoy...i have a sled too....but i know first hand my enjoyment while riding is not effected the slightest bit by how close I get to fishing tents.

But like was stated earlier...if they dont get close nobody will know they traded their 2013 in on the newest greatest 2014....nevermind paying into the principle....they got the key its theirs! lol
Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbllung View Post
One of them travelled past my tent at 45-50 mph at less than 15 paces (I stepped it off)
Nuts! Wonder if there are any charges a cop could lay, dangerous driving, public endangerment, etc.?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:20 AM

I get it!.... but where do these guys go to enjoy their power toys...

They really don't think they are a problem they just think noise is [art of the package and they don't mind why should you?

they just don't know....

I have been on both sides of the coin.... enjoying ice fishing and enjoying power sports as well....

However I try not to be a douche.... but id someone sets up an ice fishing tent right beside the main unload/load/entry/exit.... location.... well what do you expect....

If you want peace and quiet go where there are not....
Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 AM

It surprises me no one asked one simple question before bashing . were they there BEFORE you. Did you happen to set your tent up near a trail that they had been running on all day or couple days.Ive seen guys pull their sled along a well run trail then set up just off it and then get ****ed because there's traffic all day.... Hard to make a comment with only one half of the story. There is fools on both sides of the road not saying OP is one.

Mack
Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
It surprises me no one asked one simple question before bashing . were they there BEFORE you. Did you happen to set your tent up near a trail that they had been running on all day or couple days.Ive seen guys pull their sled along a well run trail then set up just off it and then get ****ed because there's traffic all day.... Hard to make a comment with only one half of the story. There is fools on both sides of the road not saying OP is one.

Mack
Traffic is one thing, ripping by or doing donuts and other crap nearby is another.
How is one to know that the track you followed out was part of a race track. Or that it was even them that were using it?
See it all the time. No respect from some guys with their toys. Both hard water and soft.

Couple years or so ago it got real bad out at St. Mary res. F&W/CO's asked about it and were told how bad it was there. Had a wake board boat follow me as I anchored at various spots on the lake. It was not uncommon I guess cuz they started patrolling more with seadoos and no uniform. Cleaned that sort of thing up pretty good.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
because they are just as much entitled to be there as someone else? .
So when you see someone fishing, you go close to them because you are 'entitled' to?

Yowzers!!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
So when you see someone fishing, you go close to them because you are 'entitled' to?

Yowzers!!
Exactly. People know exactly what they are doing but the F - you mentality runs a muck. You move to be secluded, bam bam the meathead shows up but on the other side I will have fun with them too, on a lake, heavy lure, haul back act like your landing fish etc, meatheads real up come over to your area...wow, something to try when the fish are not biting, entertaining.

Loud sleds at two a.m. -20 out...jeesh, I then go out in the day to pick up beer cans where they stop to have a break...meatheads!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Yowzers!!
I wouldn't loop 500 metres around them so they don't hear me because they want to fish in peace and quiet and I might scare the big one.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't loop 500 metres around them so they don't hear me because they want to fish in peace and quiet and I might scare the big one.
So, how close are you entitled to approach them? Less than 500m is a bit vague.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:39 PM

For those that have asked ....

I was not set up on a major trail, and I did not notice them when I walked the 400 yards to my fishing spot..

When they came past they "accidentally" revved their motors to a deafening pitch !!

I saw nothing accidental about what was happening. How do you accidentally roar past the only black tent in a 5 mile long lake

The entire point is missed here!!! As the title says we are all expected to enjoy our own pursuits in nature.. Just use your head and don't be unthoughtful and disrespectful to neighbours.

Fun means different things to different people. We all get that BUT there are unwritten rules that should not HAVE to be debated fiercely.

I suspect that based in the number of "devils advocates" here this problem will just continue as people don't grasp the concept of mutual respect.

It is a really sad! Next weekend I will walk further I guess!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:

I was not set up on a major trail, and I did not notice them when I walked the 400 yards to my fishing spot..

When they came past they "accidentally" revved their motors to a deafening pitch !!

I saw nothing accidental about what was happening. How do you accidentally roar past the only black tent in a 5 mile long lake

The entire point is missed here!!! As the title says we are all expected to enjoy our own pursuits in nature.. Just use your head and don't be unthoughtful and disrespectful to neighbours.

Fun means different things to different people. We all get that BUT there are unwritten rules that should not HAVE to be debated fiercely.

I suspect that based in the number of "devils advocates" here this problem will just continue as people don't grasp the concept of mutual respect.

And they probably all drive lifted up 1 ton diesel's with the stack coming out of the box..
Old 12-17-2014, 12:51 PM

Default speed limit

it would be nice if they put a speed limit on the ice, we have it everywhere else sooner or later someone will get hurt .
Old 12-17-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d bowhunter View Post
it would be nice if they put a speed limit on the ice, we have it everywhere else sooner or later someone will get hurt .
agreed

we have speed limits on all paved roads and nobody ever gets hurt doing something stupid.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
because they are just as much entitled to be there as someone else? I don't even own a quad but c'mon guys.

There is probably a thread on mud and snow forum saying how come fishermen always set up right where the path is, or right next to the packed snow where we like to go fast.

I bet there is a thread on the wakeboard forum that says why do the fisherman always take the calm water in the bays right where we like to wakeboard?

Just because you only like to fish in peace and quiet and on still waters doesn't mean others cant enjoy other activities out there.
As someone who fishes and wakeboards/skis/wakesurfs and spearfishes I have to say that it goes both ways. I have been fishing in a calm bay and had watersports boats setup right beside me and I have been waterskiing/wakeboarding in a calm area and had fisherman run right behind me (talking yards away directly behind me, fall and I'm dead situations) who then stop and toss anchor and get ****ed for us continuing to run the water.

I agree that there is likely no reason for those quads or sleds to be ripping right beside you on a frozen lake given the fact that the rest of the lake is all the same for a sled.

As I say to my kids, "Idiots abound and all you can change is your reaction to them."

SS
Old 12-18-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:

I don't think the point was missed at all you were unhappy with what happened .
Unfortunately the lake belongs to everyone you can't always get what you want.
There is no such thing as an unwritten rules for anything. It happens in the summer
With boats and seadoos to you just learn to adjust or go home mad. I do hope your next
Outing is a good one.

Mack
Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Traffic is one thing, ripping by or doing donuts and other crap nearby is another.
How is one to know that the track you followed out was part of a race track. Or that it was even them that were using it?
See it all the time. No respect from some guys with their toys. Both hard water and soft.

Couple years or so ago it got real bad out at St. Mary res. F&W/CO's asked about it and were told how bad it was there. Had a wake board boat follow me as I anchored at various spots on the lake. It was not uncommon I guess cuz they started patrolling more with seadoos and no uniform. Cleaned that sort of thing up pretty good.
Some of what you say is right hunts but have also seen fishermen set up right in the middle of an area people are running their machines...Even seen a guy on st Anne's set up his shack in the middle of an area cleared for skating what can you do its life.

Mack
Old 12-18-2014, 12:23 AM

I say drop the gloves and battle!!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:39 AM

The thing to remember is, no matter how idiotic the behavior of some outdoorsmen is, there will always be someone on AO who will come to their defense.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big sky View Post
the thing to remember is, no matter how idiotic the behavior of some outdoorsmen is, there will always be someone on ao who will come to their defense.
bingo!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
So, how close are you entitled to approach them? Less than 500m is a bit vague.
Close enough they can see my white oakleys!

I think the point I was trying to make. Is that I don't know what exact distance will spook the fish.. or push the decibal meter past tolerance. If you know nothing about ice fishing and have never done it then I imagine the distance is much shorter. So unless there is a law stating X distance then its open to debate.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Some of what you say is right hunts but have also seen fishermen set up right in the middle of an area people are running their machines...Even seen a guy on st Anne's set up his shack in the middle of an area cleared for skating what can you do its life.

Mack
I quoted Mackinaw's post to make a point. You guys totally ignore situations like he brings up, and some others have, of selfish fisherman and what they do. Shows that YOU that are complaining are no better than those you complain about. You are just as guilty of the self-entitled mindset as anyone else.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
I quoted Mackinaw's post to make a point. You guys totally ignore situations like he brings up, and some others have, of selfish fisherman and what they do. Shows that YOU that are complaining are no better than those you complain about. You are just as guilty of the self-entitled mindset as anyone else.
Wow!!!!!! Have you even read the entire thread?

Ok you win. I am to blame for people not respecting each other in the outdoors!. How dare I even ask that people use common sense and respect each other !
How shall I bear the load of what I have done ??
Oh the horror LOL

Have at'er boys she's a free for all out there !!! No point in discussing it , just have everyone tread on everyone. That will fix it up real good!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Banned

Yes I read the entire thread. But these threads always turn into a bashing of motorized recreation.

I fish and I sled, quad, etc. I've been on the receiving end of jerks, whether they be fishermen who think they own the lake, or recreational boater or riders who don't respect others.

Point is both groups have jerks among them.

In your case sure they should have given you more space. That's what I do.

But none of those complaining about sledders, etc., will acknowledge how fishermen can be jerks too. It's always the motorized riders that are in the wrong, all the time.

People on here can't discuss any different user group than their own without tarring them all with the same brush, but heaven forbid someone does the same to them.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Mack
Hi Mack!
Not saying there isnt the other side of the coin. There are some fishermen/hunters/outdoorsmen that are jerks too.

Most fishermen I know(including me) seeks seclusion/isolation when possible. When I see someone fishing or using an area i maintain a good distance or go to a different spot.

Having quads/sleds/ski boats/skidoos buzz you seams to be a game to them. In my previous post I described St. Marys problem LE responded to the complaints. It is not uncommon.

But little to no respect is common now!

Or are people are just oblivious to this?

Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Yes I read the entire thread. But these threads always turn into a bashing of motorized recreation.

I fish and I sled, quad, etc. I've been on the receiving end of jerks, whether they be fishermen who think they own the lake, or recreational boater or riders who don't respect others.

Point is both groups have jerks among them.

In your case sure they should have given you more space. That's what I do.

But none of those complaining about sledders, etc., will acknowledge how fishermen can be jerks too. It's always the motorized riders that are in the wrong, all the time.

People on here can't discuss any different user group than their own without tarring them all with the same brush, but heaven forbid someone does the same to them.
Bashing is deserved.

Fishermen will go to a familiar spot and fish it. Not saying there are not jerk fishermen. But if no one is on the spot they will probably set up. Or in the case of trolling, moving slowly.
Snowmobiles/quads/ski boats/skidoos etc. are very mobile and using a greater portion of the lake.
Please go around at a safe distance and speed. To much to ask?

Old 12-18-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Most fishermen I know(including me) seeks seclusion/isolation when possible. When I see someone fishing or using an area i maintain a good distance or go to a different spot.
Agree. I can't imagine one of my friends saying "Hey, there's a bunch of guys running their machines over there. How about we set up in that spot?"

Even harder to imagine would be me saying, "Sounds like a good idea Bob!!"
Old 12-18-2014, 10:33 AM

Can one skeet shoot on the ice? I suppose that would be a bit more disturbing than sleds...never mind. Too bad about the noise...