Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Agree. I can't imagine one of my friends saying "Hey, there's a bunch of guys running their machines over there. How about we set up in that spot?"

Even harder to imagine would be me saying, "Sounds like a good idea Bob!!"
When you put it that way, it is hard to imagine. lol

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Banned

Sorry to disagree, but just last year I had many instances where I was pulling a water skier, using a certain part of the lake because it was a bit calmer there, and had fishermen go right to the area and drop anchor, right where I was running, right in the way. They couldn't have been more in the way. Also had fishermen troll right in front of me in many cases, AND I WAS THERE LONG BEFORE THEY WERE!

So your contention that most fishermen will not do this is BS. I've seen otherwise, many times. I've had to give them the "WTF" hand signals also, but do you think they got the hint, even once? No. But you guys absolutely REFUSE to believe it or acknowledge it.

If someone runs by you, maybe its because they are sick of the common fishermen's attitude of "I own the lake".
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Please go around at a safe distance and speed. To much to ask?
It shouldn't be.

Dbllung says he was the only guy fishing on the lake. The amount of area he is wanting would be much smaller than the pointy end of the pin. The area of Winigami is about 46.7 sq km. By my calculation he is wanting less than a 10 thousandth of a percent of the lake.

Perhaps the spot shouldn't be labeled 'ice fishing hot spot'. Maybe it should be labeled "Spot where I'm going to run my quad to show that entitled *-**** that the lake belongs to everybody and I can go where I want."
Old 12-18-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Sorry to disagree, but just last year I had many instances where I was pulling a water skier, using a certain part of the lake because it was a bit calmer there, and had fishermen go right to the area and drop anchor, right where I was running, right in the way. They couldn't have been more in the way. Also had fishermen troll right in front of me in many cases, AND I WAS THERE LONG BEFORE THEY WERE!

So your contention that most fishermen will not do this is BS. I've seen otherwise, many times. I've had to give them the "WTF" hand signals also, but do you think they got the hint, even once? No. But you guys absolutely REFUSE to believe it or acknowledge it.

If someone runs by you, maybe its because they are sick of the common fishermen's attitude of "I own the lake".
Disagree all you want. Were you there when and where they anchored

Like I said, fishermen will go to a spot where they caught fish. Most of the time shore related. So you were on the spot when they anchored?

Hmmm, fisherman using one little spot, and you are using an area of the lake. Hmmm.

Maybe fisherman was looking for calmer water too.hmmm.

Dont be mad at fishermen, be mad at yourself.

"Most fishermen will not is BS"?

Guess it is the equivalent of all quad/snowmobile/ski and wake boats/seadoo owners are guilty of Not having common courtesty etc.

wow.

edit: fishermen were here long before ski boats. lol

Old 12-18-2014, 11:23 AM

All we are talking about is common sense and courtesy ..... that's it ..... it goes both ways .....

I've had a guy and his wife come to within 20ft of me fishing at a lake where the wife cast a jig that hit me in the head and bounced off my gunnel on an errant cast ....... I had a snow machines rip past us at 30 feet while we had little kids running around between tents in the ice fishing camp ....... I saw guys tie up their boats at the boat launch dock and leave to get an ice cream while others waited to launch ..... the list goes on .....

People just need to grab a brain and use some common respect and courtesy ..... there is no need for anyone ripping by you at 50 mph on a lake that wide open.

Some of these incidents are dangerous and, quite frankly, deserve fines in my opinion.

All of our phone devices have cameras and video - one day someone is going to get charged and fined for being a moron ....... and will they deserve it.

In the meantime ....... I will do my part and give people reasonable room and privacy and the same courtesy I would expect. That's all I can do.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:13 PM

That's it...... Common Courtesy....its getting to be a thing of the past.
There's morons everywhere, even a few on here.... doesn't matter what you do there's always someone there ruining your enjoyment. (from having game cameras and tree stands stole to people setting up right on top of you) If people would just think how they would feel it the roles were reversed maybe they wouldn't do it.
Fishermen fish structure, you don't need that for running your boats or sleds, the guy in the ice tent doesn't give a sh*t about your $20,000 sled that you just purchased, as you don't care about his new rod in his shack......show some respect for your fellow outdoorsmen!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdog View Post
There's morons everywhere, even a few on here.... doesn't matter what you do there's always someone there ruining your enjoyment. (from having game cameras and tree stands stole to people setting up right on top of you) If people would just think how they would feel it the roles were reversed maybe they wouldn't do it.
Fishermen fish structure, you don't need that for running your boats or sleds, the guy in the ice tent doesn't give a sh*t about your $20,000 sled that you just purchased, as you don't care about his new rod in his shack......show some respect for your fellow outdoorsmen!

Amen bruther
Seems simple enough
Old 12-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdog View Post
May you guys are thick. For water skiiing, it is much better in calm water. So if the wind is blowing from the SE, and I, BEFORE there are any other boats in the area, choose an area near enough to the SE shoreline to find that calmer water, should I just move to the rough water if some guy decides he wants to come and anchor right in the area I am pulling a skier in? What makes him more important than me? That's the attitude you guys have, you claim to be the courteous types, but in all reality, you don't give two ****s about anyone but yourselves.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
May you guys are thick. For water skiiing, it is much better in calm water. So if the wind is blowing from the SE, and I, BEFORE there are any other boats in the area, choose an area near enough to the SE shoreline to find that calmer water, should I just move to the rough water if some guy decides he wants to come and anchor right in the area I am pulling a skier in? What makes him more important than me? That's the attitude you guys have, you claim to be the courteous types, but in all reality, you don't give two ****s about anyone but yourselves.
Nope. I have read the comments here. No one is saying that if you are there first you should move to make room for fishermen. Not sure where YOU conjured that idea from??

Show me one post that says you should move if you were there first!

The point is to respect others in the outdoors....and the op referred to quadders but can be extended to all users of the resource!
Old 12-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Banned

Ok when you really think about it.real fisherman are out at the lake at around
between seven and nine am as you sun worshippers with your big power boats don't get your butts out of bed and out to the lake till after eleven and start tearing up the lake so the fishing peoples day is pretty much shot and it dosen't matter if you try and move as they will fallow you all over the lake. who is in the wrong here
Old 12-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Banned

Look at the post I quoted, it's right there. I don't need to be in a certain area because I have the whole lake, who cares if I'm trying to use a portion that is somewhat calm, I don't need to. THAT's the attitude I'm talking about right there.

There are selfish, jerk people in all pursuits, INCLUDING fishermen.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Banned

Anyway, I don't want to argue with anyone about this anymore, Merry Xmas to you all and have a great holiday, and happy fishing!
Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
So if the wind is blowing from the SE, and I, BEFORE there are any other boats in the area, choose an area near enough to the SE shoreline to find that calmer water, should I just move to the rough water if some guy decides he wants to come and anchor right in the area I am pulling a skier in?
So if a fisherman also wanted to escape the wind, how far from your starting point should they be before they are disturbing your skiing?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
So if a fisherman also wanted to escape the wind, how far from your starting point should they be before they are disturbing your skiing?
Good question

Old 12-18-2014, 04:13 PM

People these days seem to take pride in being degenerates. Almost like it should be admirable to show no courtesy because one is not afraid of what anyone else may say or do in response. That mentality explains an embarrassing amount of male behaviour. "Whatever, I'm doing it"

Reminds me of the winner who drove up beside our truck, very near where we had a ground stand, then drove off.... To leave so we thought.....

But actually drove around to the opposing side of the valley and set up watching the same field from the the opposing vantage point..... rifle and field of view towards us!

I was watching very carefully for a scoping as I stood up and walked away....

Must be the same guy who found me in a mall parking lot with my blinker on waiting for a vehicle to vacate a parking spot and stopped, put his blinker on and told me he was taking the spot....
Old 12-18-2014, 04:19 PM

At our home lake we had a water ski slalom course setup with signs etc. and often before we could use it we had to politely ask fishermen to please move elsewhere so we could use it. When it was setup we had approval from everyone that it was located in best place to create least amount of problems for fishermen....

Also had issues with fishermen who would go out onto our cleared ice racing track and drill holes because then they did not have to shovel snow to get to the ice!.... and then get miffed when we asked them to move and not do that anymore....

ore we would clear another track and then they would complain about the noise....

We also would create a big skating rink and we would often come down and find that fishermen have decided to fish right in the middle of it....

So the knife cuts both ways.....
Old 12-18-2014, 06:15 PM

So with miles of lake and all that open space, be it on hard water or open water or near your random camp site, would it be too much to ask to slow down a bit when passing by? We as adults have taught our friends, teenagers and younger kids to do this (in whatever recreation sport they do) to try and show some respect for others and their space (whether they got there before you or after you). Have always got the good wave of appreciation and not the full flock of flip the bird wave. Those others are out there and always will be. Sad to say, but true. Let's move on. There's other things to talk about, like, why won't Santa buy me my own private lake so this won't happen? I would like BEARSPAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Old 12-18-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
At our home lake we had a water ski slalom course setup with signs etc. and often before we could use it we had to politely ask fishermen to please move elsewhere so we could use it. When it was setup we had approval from everyone that it was located in best place to create least amount of problems for fishermen....

Also had issues with fishermen who would go out onto our cleared ice racing track and drill holes because then they did not have to shovel snow to get to the ice!.... and then get miffed when we asked them to move and not do that anymore....

ore we would clear another track and then they would complain about the noise....

We also would create a big skating rink and we would often come down and find that fishermen have decided to fish right in the middle of it....

So the knife cuts both ways.....
Public Lake? What if I went out to Gull a few years back and found someone had put a quad/ice racing track right on the spot I have fished for at least 30 years. I could move, but who is right? Its PUBLIC.

You had approval from everyone? Cottage owners association? Municipality? Did you ask me? Nope.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Public Lake? What if I went out to Gull a few years back and found someone had put a quad/ice racing track right on the spot I have fished for at least 30 years. I could move, but who is right? Its PUBLIC.

You had approval from everyone? Cottage owners association? Municipality? Did you ask me? Nope.
Kinda like tree stands on crown land. Person pops up a stand and it becomes their spot........

Kinda like a person puts their permanent ice shack on a point and it becomes their spot........

public land and waters are shared by all, not owned by one. Common courtesy seems to a skill not common sense these days
Old 12-19-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Hi Mack!
Not saying there isnt the other side of the coin. There are some fishermen/hunters/outdoorsmen that are jerks too.

Most fishermen I know(including me) seeks seclusion/isolation when possible. When I see someone fishing or using an area i maintain a good distance or go to a different spot.

Having quads/sleds/ski boats/skidoos buzz you seams to be a game to them. In my previous post I described St. Marys problem LE responded to the complaints. It is not uncommon.

But little to no respect is common now!

Or are people are just oblivious to this?
There seems to be very little respect between people now in the outdoors. It was definitely better years ago but back then you only seen 1-2 snow machines all season
Now with more machines and people traveling farther with them we see hundreds a day.
People now both fishermen and sledders-quaders all feel they have right to do what they want when they want. I have a quad that I use for fishing so I can get away from the groups even then it don't always work so I just hope for the best. Maybe we should do an odd even day system...jk...

Mack
Old 12-19-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post

I love the 30 year argument!....

Another situation a certain piece of land came up for sale and we bought it.... everyone assumed it was crown but it was not, just the old owner did not post it or anything. Then after we bought it and posted it so many po'd people felt they had a right to trespass as they have been doing it for 30 years!....

We had approval from who we needed approval from..... the government agency in charge.... besides there was no property owners nearby and the shore was crown land!....

now just saying if you setup an ice fishing tent on or near an ice racing track then get po'd about the discourtesy of the motor enthusiasts creating noise....

now sitting on a lake all alone and having someone race 15 feet beside your shack when there are other options is a discourteous....

another somewhat relevant question we have a lady where I live that complains about the noise from helicopters and planes.... We live near an airport!.....

or the people who complain about firearm noise near sggc.....

or.... in general all the self centred idiots who feel it is their right to be discourteous because they can be....and their rights are more important than others...

common sense will never be common because my common sense is your nonsense.... and vice versa!....
Old 12-19-2014, 09:17 AM

Common courtesy is all this is about. There are so many scenario's. I am ice or anchored fishing away and a water skier or sledder goes ripping by, bad. Sledder or skier ripping around the lake, they stop for a break, fuel, lunch etc. I show up where they "were" playing. Twenty minutes later they take the same route and i am in the way? They stopped, now it's my area. I show up and want to fish my favorite bay but sledders or skiers are using that area. They were there first i go somewhere else. First come, first served. You can't win them all. Stay clear of someone if you will interfere in a negative way. Some folks don't have a clue or are oblivious to their interference though.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Not close enough to see his white oakleys
Old 12-20-2014, 03:42 AM

I wish more children(now adults) we're raised wearing hand me downs and second hand stuff and HAD to share what they had with others to have fun...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 12-20-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
I wish more children(now adults) we're raised wearing hand me downs and second hand stuff and HAD to share what they had with others to have fun...
I was thats why I want it all to my self.....tired of sharing.....lol

Mack
Old 12-20-2014, 02:21 PM

This thread turned into a total

Old 12-20-2014, 03:16 PM

Common courtesy died in a head on collision with common sense. Idiots used to be the exception now it seems like they are the rule.