Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-14-2014, 05:39 PM

Default Cleaning a fish on the ice?

Can you clean a fish on the ice and just leave the guts on the ice? Would this lead to a whole lot of scrutiny about whether or not you were chumming if a F&W officer came by? What about doing it when all your gear was packed up and heading home, could you kick it down the hole if you are not fishing any longer?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:11 PM

Depending which lake you are at, lots of lakes have fish cleaning stations on shore.

Fish with size restrictions need to be intact for transporting so keep the head and tail on.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 12-14-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:40 PM

Todays lake had nothing for fishing cleaning. I maybe keep two fish a year, so I'm not too clear on this. I kept it whole, but I would have liked to gut it on the ice, or somewhere, before it froze solid.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:11 PM

There is no chance of being accused of chumming for leaving guts on ice... They aren't even remotely smilar, heck even if you were throwing the guts own the hole while fshing I highly doubt you would ever have any issues.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:13 PM

Or you could gut them on the ice and put guts in a bag for disposal at home.
Easy to pack out with other garbage a person may have.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
There is no chance of being accused of chumming for leaving guts on ice... They aren't even remotely smilar, heck even if you were throwing the guts own the hole while fshing I highly doubt you would ever have any issues.
Hey Rav, wouldnt be so sure of that.
- It is unlawful to:
set out or use bait to attract fish unless it is attached to a hook used in angling.

Then see Definition of Bait.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Put the guts down the hole and you feed all the little things that fish eat to grow !!!
Old 12-14-2014, 07:27 PM

I believe in returning as much of the fish as possible. It can only do good things for the ecosystem after you have taken something out.

http://www.hilakers.org/pages/fishGuts.html
"What do you do with the fish guts?

The Hi Lakers don’t have an official position, but the surprising consensus among biologists, ecologists and other authorities is to throw the guts into deep water, where they decompose to provide essential nutrients and don’t attract animals. Throwing entrails into shallows where they are an eyesore is a no no. Puncturing the air sac and disposing in deep water, or packing out, is the way to go."
Old 12-14-2014, 07:45 PM

I'd have liked to return the guts to the lake also, something would get an easy lunch, instead of them going in my garbage at home. I thought about maybe going back to one of my old holes 100ft away and doing it there to reduce the chance of chumming accusations, but I'm not clear on the laws regarding this, so chose to leave it whole. Also didn't want to leave them on the ice, there were families dragging kids around on the ice in sleds, didn't want to leave a mess for them either.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafhone View Post
I believe in returning as much of the fish as possible. It can only do good things for the ecosystem after you have taken something out.

http://www.hilakers.org/pages/fishGuts.html
"What do you do with the fish guts?

The Hi Lakers don’t have an official position, but the surprising consensus among biologists, ecologists and other authorities is to throw the guts into deep water, where they decompose to provide essential nutrients and don’t attract animals. Throwing entrails into shallows where they are an eyesore is a no no. Puncturing the air sac and disposing in deep water, or packing out, is the way to go."
Those are summer time ways !!!!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I thought about maybe going back to one of my old holes 100ft away and doing it there to reduce the chance of chumming accusations,
Thats what I do. I drill a hole a ways off from where I'm fishing if i'm dumping guts/carcass.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
- It is unlawful to:
set out or use bait to attract fish unless it is attached to a hook used in angling.

I'd agree with you as well ....... throwing guts down the same hole, or perhaps even a hole close to where you are fishing is unlawful.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:44 PM

I don't keep many fish either, but I definitely like to gut them on the ice when I do keep them. You can kind of use snow and ice ice to scrape out anything left in the belly, which gets rid of all the mess. Plus after a long drive home, the last thing I want to do at home in the evening is gut fish.

I bring plastic grocery bags with me and put the guts and bloody snow in the bags for disposal hopefully at a garbage can or fish-cleaning station onshore, but at home if necessary. I understand the argument for returning the guts to the ecosystem, but a lot of non-fishers use lakes in winter too, and I don't think it's fair to leave a pile of fish guts for them to stumble across.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Take the fish home whole, therefore there is no hassle if you are checked out by the fish cops. All questions are answered when you show it whole, leading to no suspicious acts if the guts are out etc. make it easy on yourself!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-15-2014, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
I don't keep many fish either, but I definitely like to gut them on the ice when I do keep them. You can kind of use snow and ice ice to scrape out anything left in the belly, which gets rid of all the mess. Plus after a long drive home, the last thing I want to do at home in the evening is gut fish.

I bring plastic grocery bags with me and put the guts and bloody snow in the bags for disposal hopefully at a garbage can or fish-cleaning station onshore, but at home if necessary. I understand the argument for returning the guts to the ecosystem, but a lot of non-fishers use lakes in winter too, and I don't think it's fair to leave a pile of fish guts for them to stumble across.
Or follow this, I did not think of others using the lake for recreation, well said.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-15-2014, 08:38 AM

Throwing the guts down a hole while ice fishing would be chumming, which is against the regulations. When gutting, make sure you leave evidence of fish species and total length (ie: nose to tail measurement is valid with a complete spine) so you can prove what you caught if stopped by the fish cops.

I've seen guys drill a hole in the ice that is half depth (ie: doesn't penetrate down to the water) and then drop all of their fish guts into it. This keeps the guts off the ice surface where someone might step in them.

I think it'd be fine to just drop the guts on the ice surface too. If a crow, magpie, or coyote doesn't eat them first, they'll just fall into the lake in the spring and decompose.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusbrainus View Post
I've seen guys drill a hole in the ice that is half depth (ie: doesn't penetrate down to the water) and then drop all of their fish guts into it. This keeps the guts off the ice surface where someone might step in them.
I've seen a few morons drill a few half holes in my time too. Even when I drill a half hole to stand up my auger for the day, I make sure and drill through at the end of the day so the hole floods and re freezes.

Drilling a hole half way into the ice, is a perfect way to have some unsuspecting jerk break his ankle. I hate when people do that, it's just stupid, dangerous, creates a weak point, a tire hazard, and just plain stupid.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:22 AM

you can clean a fish and return the guts to the water only in the body of water that it came from. Had CO come up to me on more than one occasion while I was gutting fish and throwing guts back in the water.

That also includes Minniwonka in Banff.

Just don't drop them down your hole then start jigging. Then it could be construed as chumming.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Can you clean a fish on the ice and just leave the guts on the ice? Would this lead to a whole lot of scrutiny about whether or not you were chumming if a F&W officer came by? What about doing it when all your gear was packed up and heading home, could you kick it down the hole if you are not fishing any longer?
Please Please Please DON”T leave fish entrails in/on most of Alberta’s lakes. Allot of Alberta’s lakes have an over nutrient problem which can be seen as massive algal blooms etc. We also have a problem on most of our lakes with long retention times (poor lake flushing) e.g. Pigeon lake’s retention time is over 100 years so once the nutrients get in to the eco system it takes a very long time to get it out. One other reason not to clean your fish waste back into the lake in winter is BOD for the lake would go up. In other words rotting fish waste will use up allot of oxygen that could be better used for preventing winter kill.
Now in nutrient poor lakes please do put you fish waste back into deep water etc. but probably not in the winter.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Please Please Please DON”T leave fish entrails in/on most of Alberta’s lakes. Allot of Alberta’s lakes have an over nutrient problem which can be seen as massive algal blooms etc. We also have a problem on most of our lakes with long retention times (poor lake flushing) e.g. Pigeon lake’s retention time is over 100 years so once the nutrients get in to the eco system it takes a very long time to get it out. One other reason not to clean your fish waste back into the lake in winter is BOD for the lake would go up. In other words rotting fish waste will use up allot of oxygen that could be better used for preventing winter kill.
Now in nutrient poor lakes please do put you fish waste back into deep water etc. but probably not in the winter.
Exactly, why contribute.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
A few rotting fish is such a small factor when you look at entire lake this argument is completely null and void. Also, this is not the case for the majority of Alberta lakes, look at the big picture. Pigeon is just an example of an unfortunately managed over-fished lake with rich people and farmers dumping fertilizer in, not typical of the rest of the province. Guts are fine on the surface too, birds and coyotes clean them up pretty quickly. I submerge them in less productive lakes as the nutrients can be significant in mountain ecosystems. When i keep a limit of big walleye, whites, perch, or burbs it prevents more waste from going to the landfill by leaving it at the lake.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:57 AM

I like to leave as much of the fish in the lake as I can - to 'return it from whence it came' for natures's recycling.
Of course, you could take it home, double wrap it in plastic bags and throw it out with your garbage to spend the next few centuries buried in a landfill.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
A few rotting fish is such a small factor when you look at entire lake this argument is completely null and void. Also, this is not the case for the majority of Alberta lakes, look at the big picture. Pigeon is just an example of an unfortunately managed over-fished lake with rich people and farmers dumping fertilizer in, not typical of the rest of the province. Guts are fine on the surface too, birds and coyotes clean them up pretty quickly. I submerge them in less productive lakes as the nutrients can be significant in mountain ecosystems. When i keep a limit of big walleye, whites, perch, or burbs it prevents more waste from going to the landfill by leaving it at the lake.
What part of the province do you live in / fish? Perhaps this is not a problem where you fish and like I said if you fish in nutrient deficient lakes have at her.

Around here the Majority of our lakes do have this "problem" and our fish waste gets composted and not land filled. I'm also not sure if the waste of fish is insignificant to the BOD of a lake at the end of the ice season. Pigeon has a quota of 5407 walleye and last year had a white fish quota of 50,000 kg of white fish. If all those entrails get dumped back into the lake I think you would indeed have an effect if that happens during ice over. The problem becomes even worse on smaller shallower lakes such as Nakamun, Isle, battle, etc. etc. etc.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
What part of the province do you live in / fish? Perhaps this is not a problem where you fish and like I said if you fish in nutrient deficient lakes have at her.

Around here the Majority of our lakes do have this "problem" and our fish waste gets composted and not land filled. I'm also not sure if the waste of fish is insignificant to the BOD of a lake at the end of the ice season. Pigeon has a quota of 5407 walleye and last year had a white fish quota of 50,000 kg of white fish. If all those entrails get dumped back into the lake I think you would indeed have an effect if that happens during ice over. The problem becomes even worse on smaller shallower lakes such as Nakamun, Isle, battle, etc. etc. etc.
Not even close to significant in terms of BOD, you really need an appreciation of scale when looking at the issues in those lakes. I fish all over the province, but actively avoid the area around Dreadmonton. If i wanted to spend time on the ice with that many other people I'd go to a hockey game, leaving central Alberta was the best thing I ever did as a fisherman ha ha. I buy some of the concerns regarding other user groups but really don't think it's a significant worry. If someone can't handle a few fish guts on the ice they probably have more serious issues to deal with. BOD is a really null and void concern when discussing a few fish guts.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:59 PM

Do you guys think the guts will be around long enough to decompose? I would think they would be gobbled up pretty quickly.

When I do keep a fish with no legal length, I usually drop the guts, head and tail at the end of the fishing day so I don't have to dispose of it when I get home.

If the fish requires a legal length, I drop the guts only and finish the cleaning job at the end of the day.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:09 PM

Anyone remember those 5 foot high piles of burbot left on the ice during the winter?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Do you guys think the guts will be around long enough to decompose? I would think they would be gobbled up pretty quickly.

When I do keep a fish with no legal length, I usually drop the guts, head and tail at the end of the fishing day so I don't have to dispose of it when I get home.

If the fish requires a legal length, I drop the guts only and finish the cleaning job at the end of the day.
The question involved kicking the guts etc. down the hole, so yes I do think they will likely decompose.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Anyone remember those 5 foot high piles of burbot left on the ice during the winter?
pigeon lake would have piles of frozen burbot so high you could damage your truck if you hit a pile .
Old 12-15-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
- It is unlawful to:

If you want to be a real stickler it is illegal to throw anything that gives off scent/flavour that attracts fish into a lake unless it is attached to a hook(that is how the actual law is written). That means if you throw leftover minnows in the lake when done fishing, guts after cleaning fish, juice/pop you don't feel like drinking, lunch leftovers you don't want to eat, fruit peels and much more then you are actually breaking the law... I am guessing most if not all of us on here have broken this ambiguous law at one point or another...

My point is that if you happened to be checked by a CO while cleaning a fish and throwing guts down the hole while still fishing I doubt anything would happen...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:28 PM

Doesn't have to be scented, to be considered chumming or littering for that matter.

This thread might prove useful:

Waste disposal in lakes